I Need a Swing Thought

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
that will help me to hit "through" the ball. I'm struggling a bit getting the ball up in the air lately. My new irons feel super short, and at address they all look like a 1 iron. I'm pretty sure that I'm trying to compensate in my swing to help lift the ball into the air, and as a result I'm not making a divot and sometimes even catching the ball's equator (ouch)

Mentally I'm having an impossible time envisioning the swing based on what I'm feeling (clubs too short) and seeing (zero loft on the club face) at address. Before I go back to the pro, what suggestions can you offer?

swish the club through impact. in a practice swing, flip the club around so you’re holding it just under the head, and the grip is at the other end closer to the ground. make your normal swing, but try to make the “swish” through impact as loud as possible. you can’t hold onto the face and get a good swish. you have to release.

Keep your eyes on the ball as you swing down, then Let your eyes follow the ball as it leaves the club Into the air.

It will feel like you are staying behind the ball and not allowing your upper body to get ahead of the ball.

Saw this from Me and my Golf one day. I started compressing the ball WAY better once I did this.

You could focus on getting to a specific finishing position (i.e., your "pose"). This way there is still work to be done after impact, so simply hitting the ball is not sufficient.

Where is the ball position at address with your irons?

A reverse pivot in the backswing will cause the type of miss hits you describe.

Last edited:
Where is the ball position at address with your irons?
My stance is feet about shoulder width apart, and the ball is about 2-3" ahead of centre.

My stance is feet about shoulder width apart, and the ball is about 2-3" ahead of centre.
My guess is that your trunk balance is forward and down at the top of the backswing which is causing a backward and up movement of the trunk during the downswing. The fix is to get the trunk balance to be back (away from the ball) and up, where the forward movement will be down and forward towards the ball.

"Swing through the ball" helps me

Edit: I just read irons...modify for irons then..."swing DOWN and THROUGH the ball" ;)

Last edited:
With what iron?
Pretty much all of them. 9 iron to wedges the ball is closer to the centre, but pretty much all of the other irons are inches forward.

You could focus on getting to a specific finishing position (i.e., your "pose"). This way there is still work to be done after impact, so simply hitting the ball is not sufficient.
It's frustrating - I can make a perfect practice swing beside the ball. Club goes down/out/through and I finish in a PGA Tour quality pose. Take that half step forward and set the club down behind the ball and the guy who made the perfect swing is long gone. It's gotta be a mental block, but I'm just not sure what to think of to counteract it.

My guess is that your trunk balance is forward and down at the top of the backswing which is causing a backward and up movement of the trunk during the downswing. The fix is to get the trunk balance to be back (away from the ball) and up, where the forward movement will be down and forward towards the ball.
I'll see what I can do this morning on-course.

I'll see what I can do this morning on-course.
The backswing feeling has the left shoulder moving across to the right shoulder with the right ribcage moving back and up. The hips are level at the top of the backswing. This will provide space to move down to the ball in the forward swing.

"Pose for a picture" is definitely a swing thought I have when I struggle like the OP. I also will pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball on my line and try to swing through it.

Maybe try hitting to a target instead? Sometimes this can help and sometimes it can't. All depends we are all different. I do so much better now that I am target focused and my mind is not on the swing as much.

As you are swinging the club head, picture in your mind, the ball flying towards your targeted, ball landing area.

I sometimes (quietly) think a 3, or 4 syllable phraise during my swing for added swing tempo/timing control.

swish the club through impact. in a practice swing, flip the club around so you’re holding it just under the head, and the grip is at the other end closer to the ground. make your normal swing, but try to make the “swish” through impact as loud as possible. you can’t hold onto the face and get a good swish. you have to release.

This is a good technique I use on the range. I will add to make the swish louder after you would have hit the ball - some peeps have a tendency to slow the club after contact - keep going - allow the body and arms to follow through.

You might also look at the sky while you are at address and pick a flight window - a high one for you, and see what happens.

As you are swinging the club head, picture in your mind, the ball flying towards your targeted, ball landing area.

I sometimes (quietly) think a 3, or 4 syllable phraise during my swing for added swing tempo/timing control.
This was the exact advice I posted here on THP about a week ago. I guess I should listen to my own advice :ROFLMAO:

Update after this morning's round: I think I might have happened upon something. I'm pretty certain that I've been trying to muscle the club instead of swinging it. I have definitely allowed my backswing to get too long which upsets my balance/weight transfer. I shortened up my backswing and tried to relax my death grip on the club and hit some decent shots today. Heck, I even hit a nice 5 iron to a par 3 where I haven't hit an iron in years.
Yes, I still thinned/fatted a couple of shots, but overall I was pretty happy. I'm not prepared to call it a victory yet, but it's definitely progress. I know THP has my back.

I've found that this works for irons too- swinging to a "power point" instead of the to the golf ball is a wonderful visualization.

Move the ball back in your stance a little bit with a few strikes to see if it isn't too far up in your stance.

Which clubs did you move into? From the CG7's in your sig?

that will help me to hit "through" the ball. I'm struggling a bit getting the ball up in the air lately. My new irons feel super short, and at address they all look like a 1 iron. I'm pretty sure that I'm trying to compensate in my swing to help lift the ball into the air, and as a result I'm not making a divot and sometimes even catching the ball's equator (ouch)

Mentally I'm having an impossible time envisioning the swing based on what I'm feeling (clubs too short) and seeing (zero loft on the club face) at address. Before I go back to the pro, what suggestions can you offer?

I've found that this works for irons too- swinging to a "power point" instead of the to the golf ball is a wonderful visualization.

Oh I am going to destroy so many cardboard boxes now! :cool: Thanks for the video

Move the ball back in your stance a little bit with a few strikes to see if it isn't too far up in your stance.

Which clubs did you move into? From the CG7's in your sig?
Titliest T200 w/ AV2 Red Shafts

I haven't seen my sig in so long I didn't realize it still shows up. Time to go editing.

Back