I need a tv. Which one? From Costco, less than $500 hopefully.

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Aw man. It looks like I need a new tv. My 46" Toshiba is flickering and giving me a double image. It's viewable but not for long I fear.

I've googled the fix a flickering double image tv videos on youtube and just don't feel like fixing it... so I won't. I fixed an older Samsung tv I had years ago when it had bad capacitors. This Toshiba has been on the wall in my living room since 2013 or 2016. It's lived a good life but it's time to move on.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to get. They've ones I'm looking at online at costco.com all have similar reviews. The Hisense makes me wary. I'm leaning towards the Samsung or Vizio or LG... the Sony is about $100 more than I want to spend. I don't know anything about current tvs, 4K, UHD, LED, or what to get or look for. Are ones below even worth looking at or am I wasting my time?

Costco will be the place of purchase.
55" will fit on the space on the wall.
I'm not looking to spend much more than the prices listed below.
I need the tv to do: DirecTV (I've got that cable box), Netflix (it's on my bluray player), Bluray, Xbox One, Amazon Firestick. I don't care if the tv will do Internet surfing. I'd rather it didn't have a browser.
Sound will be through my Yamaha Audio/Video receiver. I've got HDMI for that... unless these tvs have something newer than HDMI and my Yamaha is useless now?:oops:

Hisense - 55" Class R8F Series ULED LED LCD TV $469:unsure:

Sony - 55" Class X75CH Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV $569:D

Samsung - 55" TU700D Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV $429:)

Vizio - 55" Class M Series 4K Quantum LED LCD TV $479:)

LG - 55 inch Class 4K Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ® (54.6" Diag) 55UN7300AUD $409:)

Thanks!

Have you don’t some research? Here are a few links to help you decide what’s best for you....

I have the TCL 8 series QLED tv and the picture quality is stunning. You can pick up the 5 series for less than $500, so I would add that to your to consider list.

I haven’t had much experience with Hisense, but it’s the only TV that I have seen literally have smoke pour out of it. 😳 Not sure you can go wrong with any of the other brands listed.

If you're locked into Costco, I'd go with the Vizio out of the ones you listed. But I would prefer a TCL 6 series over any of them. It lists for $650, but you can sometimes get it for about $570 at Walmart. It's tough to find as it goes out of stock almost instantly. Definitely go for something with QLED technology (I think the Hisense is the only other one you listed that has it). Your Sony, Samsung, and LG choices are all low end tv's. They are comparable in price because of the brand names, but not in picture quality.

I just bought the 43” version of the LG from Costco as my bedroom TV since the Vizio I got was acting up similar to what you are describing. I have been really happy with the interface of the LG, and the remote becomes a pointer of sorts. We have the 60-something as our conference room tv at the office and it’s great. The ability to use Nexflix, Hulu, Disney+ and Apple Airplay is fantastic.

The picture quality is very good in my opinion. Is it the best I have ever seen? No. But it’s better than the vizio it replaced and I think a good bargain. I would buy another without hesitation. I paid $300 for it.

Following up, make sure you are comfortable with the HDMI count. The Samsung you have listed only has two which, based on what you want to connect, is a non-starter. The LG and Sony have 3 and the Vizio and Hisense have 4.

For any of them, you should be able to get Netflix though the native app and thus eliminate the need for the blue ray connection. If you want to watch a mine, just plug in the HDMI from the DTV box. That would take you to a minimum of 3 HDMI before the sound bar. I would see if you can hook up the Yamaha with an optical cable.

I bought a Hisense 70" from BB a few months ago for $430 out the door. I've been very pleasantly surprised with it. If it lasts 2 years I'll look at getting TCL 8 series or whatever the latest and greatest is.

I went through this in November. Bought a new home and got all new TV's so ive done plenty of research. I was 100% sold on going Samsung all the way but after comparing many models I ended up with Vizio. For the main room I went with a Vizio P-Series Quantum which got better reviews than higher priced Samsung's and Sony's. I actually have the Vizio M-Series in my basement and the quality is exceptional for the price

Vizio M-series also is very easy to navigate from the menu. We dont have cable an instead have Hulu Live Tv and Netflix. Comes pre-loaded with Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ etc..... For the price under $500 the Vizio will be better quality than Samsung, LG, or Sony

and also being 100% honest after going through this, it will be hard to really tell picture quality unless you're at the store and see them all together to compare

also doesnt the Xbox one play Blu-ray Discs??? so you can eliminate the blu-ray and especially since Netflix comes downloaded on the TV's already

I give another vote to the highest series TCL you can afford. Been nothing but pleased with my 55” 5 series I bought last year.

The LG are pretty nice, the built in smart apps combined with their apple airplay connection makes it a great options right out of the box without additional plug in TV options.

I have had Vizio and Samsung TV's and they are both great. I would go as big as you can get for your price range rather than focusing on just one size at different prices. Size of the image Trump's image quality on TV's IMO. Basically no one will ever say a 55" TV looks better than a 60" TV as long as the image quality is close and now a days the image quality is fantastic on all kinds of sets. Basically TV's are a lot like golf clubs now. Yes there are minute differences, but by and large they are all really high quality.

Have you don’t some research? Here are a few links to help you decide what’s best for you....

I have the TCL 8 series QLED tv and the picture quality is stunning. You can pick up the 5 series for less than $500, so I would add that to your to consider list.

No, I haven't researched yet. The tv just started this yesterday. I appreciate the links. I'll take a look at them.

Following up, make sure you are comfortable with the HDMI count. The Samsung you have listed only has two which, based on what you want to connect, is a non-starter. The LG and Sony have 3 and the Vizio and Hisense have 4.

For any of them, you should be able to get Netflix though the native app and thus eliminate the need for the blue ray connection. If you want to watch a mine, just plug in the HDMI from the DTV box. That would take you to a minimum of 3 HDMI before the sound bar. I would see if you can hook up the Yamaha with an optical cable.

HDMI count doesn't concern me too much. As long as the tv has 2 ports, I guess it's good. Everything else gets plugged into my Yamaha and is controlled from that. I don't have a sound bar and don't use the sound on the tv at all. My Yamaha runs a surround system.

I'm looking to buy from Costco because of their return policy. I'm not like that lady last year that took a dead Christmas tree back to Costco for a refund. I would only use it as its intended... if the product isn't working properly.

Maybe I should look at another Costco... we picked up a TCL tv for our kid when she lived in Tennessee. That was a good tv at a good price.

I have had Vizio and Samsung TV's and they are both great. I would go as big as you can get for your price range rather than focusing on just one size at different prices. Size of the image Trump's image quality on TV's IMO. Basically no one will ever say a 55" TV looks better than a 60" TV as long as the image quality is close and now a days the image quality is fantastic on all kinds of sets. Basically TV's are a lot like golf clubs now. Yes there are minute differences, but by and large they are all really high quality.
55" is about the biggest I can go comfortably. The mounting spot on the wall in the living room is recessed and was originally designed to fit a 40" tv. That was when 40" tv's were uncommon. That tv died and was replaced with a 43" that fit into the same spot. Tv's had shrunk in their outer cases enough.

I'm going to modify the mounting spot to fill in the niche some and raise the mount to be more flush with the wall but there are built-in cabinets on either side I'm not going to mess with. This gives me enough space for a 55" tv to comfortable fit and not look too odd and out of place. I hope.

TCL is a great brand. Super underrated.

We have the Samsung you mentioned from Costco, and have been pretty happy with it. I also have a LG in my sons room from costco (different size) and it has been great as well. I am a huge fan of Costco for TV purchases (and most other purchases as well, as they stand behind their products and return policy is solid).

I went through this in November. Bought a new home and got all new TV's so ive done plenty of research. I was 100% sold on going Samsung all the way but after comparing many models I ended up with Vizio. For the main room I went with a Vizio P-Series Quantum which got better reviews than higher priced Samsung's and Sony's. I actually have the Vizio M-Series in my basement and the quality is exceptional for the price

Vizio M-series also is very easy to navigate from the menu. We dont have cable an instead have Hulu Live Tv and Netflix. Comes pre-loaded with Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ etc..... For the price under $500 the Vizio will be better quality than Samsung, LG, or Sony

and also being 100% honest after going through this, it will be hard to really tell picture quality unless you're at the store and see them all together to compare

also doesnt the Xbox one play Blu-ray Discs??? so you can eliminate the blu-ray and especially since Netflix comes downloaded on the TV's already
I appreciate the info. thanks!

We have the Samsung you mentioned in 50" and 65" and love them so far. We stream cable and the smart tv features with the apps are nice.

Here's a review of just 55" TV's. https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-55-inch-tv-for-2021-lg-samsung-sony-tcl-and-vizio-compared/

In your price range I agree with the reviewer that the Vizio will give you the best overall picture quality. I have a 70" Vizio that I just got last fall and the picture quality is stunning especially with 4k content. Not as good as OLED but the next best thing and one of those will cost you double the money or more.
The Vizio OLED was very tempting at the price compared to the other OLED's. I love the Quantum X I went with and have 0 complaints. OLED's are incredible but it sounded like for brighter rooms to go with the Quantum

I never even considered Vizio until researching and reading ratings for almost a month

You're probably right, the Xbox One does play bluray... but it's not used for that. It's just a game console. We don't even have netflix loaded on it. It's on the bluray player. If it's on a smart tv, that's cool. As long as its menus are faster than the bluray player. Those are slooooooooooooooow to respond.

I’m not brand loyal on too many items, but when it comes to TVs, I’ll only buy Sony. I’ve been buying them since the 90’s, and have yet to have one die on me. I still own every Sony TV I’ve bought since 2005, and all four of them are still in use today.

I've had good luck with Vizio TV's. My current main tv is a Vizio and I like their app center better than some other brand tv's.

I've had good luck with the picture on Samsung tv's, but their apps seemed to be problematic for me at times. Like, I have to forcefully restart the TV by unplugging it to get the apps to work every so often. The app center on my older Samsung is almost unusable.

I have two Panasonic Fire TV's that work really well as well.

I think it's going to be between the Samsung and Vizio 55" options at Costco. I guess whichever one jumps onto the cart first will win. Independent reviews of the Samsung aren't easy to find; I'm looking at the series 700D and they're mixed in with a lot of series 7000 reviews. The Vizio fared a bit better in tests when compared to the LG model as far as gaming goes.

Ultimately, I think anything will be an improvement over what I have on the wall as it stands today; another factor that's not so much a consideration as a footnote is I don't have anything that can use 4k so... I've had good luck with both Samsung and Vizio products. I'll see what the store has available Friday.

The Vizio OLED was very tempting at the price compared to the other OLED's. I love the Quantum X I went with and have 0 complaints. OLED's are incredible, but it sounded like for brighter rooms to go with the Quantum

I never even considered Vizio until researching and reading ratings for almost a month.

I have LG OLED's in a 55" and 65" size, and they are impressive and deserve their "best TV" rating, but all the OLED's were more than twice as much in the larger 75" or 77" size I was shopping for last fall. At the time, the QLED Samsungs and X900H Sony's were 30-50% more and had no better picture quality and, from some sources, were inferior to the Vizio.

TV's have gotten really good and it's often hard to tell much of a difference between them when watching a 1080p source which is what most of the content still is. The really noticeable difference is when watching 4k UHD, and not much of the content I watch is in 4k yet, but that is changing pretty quickly as more 4k content becomes available. It was a good sign to have the Thursday night NFL games last year in 4k, and FuboTV had 10 college games in 4k last year. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, we will watch all sports in 4k not just select events like the Masters (only from DirecTV). I believe for 2021 the Masters will be transmitted in 4k so more of us will see it that way(even with an over the air antenna for free). The cable/streaming/ TV content providers really need to catch up, especially since 8k TV's are becoming available, lol. :)

If the 4k content isn't coming from DirecTv, I'm not going to be able to use it. I don't have the bandwidth to support data coming in at 4k... that is until and IF Starlink is ever offered to me. All I have available to me now is DSL. I don't get enough throughput to support 4k streaming.:cry:

Back