i need an engineer who thinks this is a good idea

armidwestgolf

Reaction score
i solicited my idea to callaway and taylor made but it looks like they cannot accept the ideas because it came from outside the company. Simply, the idea is for a set of blade irons that can be changed into a cavity iron for higher ball flight, or a thicker filled out weighted club to be like a utlitiy iron. I think its a good idea because i would like something like this.
Is anyone an engineer who thinks this is worth pursuing? I'm working on a marketing plan for it.

So far i have made some drafts of what they look like.

Attachments

• 3 piece.png
    3 piece.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Is this for a single set...ie variability to modify the iron head?

yea.

It has 2 attachements, to be secured using a wrench

Last edited:
How would swingweighting work? If you wanted to take an iron from say an MB to a Utility, you would be adding quite a bit of mass, which could throw Swing Weigh totally out of whack

i do not know the answer to that question.

what i know is that the weight added may be drastic change but the idea is to have the golfer secure each iron to a certain position before the round, and during the round know that the swing weights will be different.

The club could have a weight that is blade like and one that is cavity back that are comparable in weight for each iron. I could see something like that working. Are you envisioning 2-3 backs for each iron shipping with the set? One each for blade, cavity and utility profiles?

Seems like you'd likely need to install significantly different shafts or make substantial counter-balancing changes whenever you add that much head weight? Have you done any simple mock ups? Would be EZ to take an old blade and tape whatever extra weight to the head that you'd anticipate you'd need to accomplish your desired changes to ball flight. Swing it in all three configurations and it should be obvious just how different they'll feel and swing. I mean you might be looking at 20+ swing weight points? Maybe a lot more. And total weight could be way to heavy for mortals to swing effectively. @Chef23 is onto what you'd need. A way for all three clubheads to weigh about the same.

Or the blade could be it's own attachment, and all three attachments weigh the same. At that point all you're doing here is adjusting COG and MOI properties, but would still be an interesting concept....Go with the "blade" attachments on windy days, and throw in the "hybrid" attachements on hard/fast courses for example.

You should speak with a patent attorney very soon. The US used to be a first to invent country, which meant if you had proof you came up with the idea before anybody else, you could own the patent rights, or at least a right to practice without having to pay the owner of the patent.

As of 2013 the US is now a First to File country, which means that if TM or Callaway submitted your idea today and the patent is granted, they own the rights, not you. Now one of the reasons they stop reading unsolicited ideas and affirmatively reject them is to avoid accusations and/or litigation regarding theft of ideas. It's possible they may have looked at the idea and may have documentation that they have. But you think you have something, you should seek Intellectual Property protection sooner rather than later, and probably refrain from posting your IP on this forum.

Last edited:
You should speak with a patent attorney very soon. The US used to be a first to invent country, which meant if you had proof you came up with the idea before anybody else, you could own the patent rights, or at least a right to practice without having to pay the owner of the patent.

This is very good advice.
I can say similar things have been around R&D rooms at some offices we have been to before for a number of years, so not sure the patent area. Im sure @Molten could assist with the findings.

Every iron is adjustable? Is it legal to adjust a club in the middle of a round?

This is very good advice.
I can say similar things have been around R&D rooms at some offices we have been to before for a number of years, so not sure the patent area. Im sure @Molten could assist with the findings.

I always remember a punchline by one of my econ professor's 40 minute lecture on all the ways to calculate GDP. I'll leave out the setup, but the jist of his conclusion was "Every time you come up with a new way to do [something], you find out it's already been done before."

The way it is now, an original club, an additional attachment, and a third attachment that extends from the 2nd attachment. Daddio i dont agree only because the owner will know that the weight is different and adjust. im not expecting each club to be drastically different. No mockups. i have drawings.
Playing Golf With an Adjustable Club (Every Club in 1) | GM GOLF - YouTube
This is something but this is not playable and not high quality compared to what I would like. Having options rather than add ons doesnt seem like a good idea to me because it means less quality in my opinon. The purpose of these irons is to have quality, something that a low handicap player can use. this adjustable club i pasted is not that. You cant adjust during a round.
for the concern about weights, i see myself using the utlity option on my 3 iron and 4iron, blades on my 5-9 iron, then a pitching wedge cavity. though they are different weights, i would get used to it over time.
I dont like the idea of switching rather than add ons, but what is the difference? oh i see what your thinking not add ons but just different switching options, how would that be?
See any problems with this?

Yep. Protect your idea as best you can.

Aside from that, I'd suggest you get access to a 3d printer and print up some prototypes of your idea.

The way it is now, an original club, an additional attachment, and a third attachment that extends from the 2nd attachment. Daddio i dont agree only because the owner will know that the weight is different and adjust. im not expecting each club to be drastically different. No mockups. i have drawings.
Playing Golf With an Adjustable Club (Every Club in 1) | GM GOLF - YouTube
This is something but this is not playable and not high quality compared to what I would like. Having options rather than add ons doesnt seem like a good idea to me because it means less quality in my opinon. The purpose of these irons is to have quality, something that a low handicap player can use. this adjustable club i pasted is not that. You cant adjust during a round.
for the concern about weights, i see myself using the utlity option on my 3 iron and 4iron, blades on my 5-9 iron, then a pitching wedge cavity. though they are different weights, i would get used to it over time.
I dont like the idea of switching rather than add ons, but what is the difference? oh i see what your thinking not add ons but just different switching options, how would that be?
See any problems with this?
I could see your example could have merit if the 2nd attachment was a flat type very heavy insert. And the 3rd replaced the 2nd and was same weight but lowers the center of gravity and maybe widens sole.
The example of 3rd added to 2nd in c creases swing weight too much.

these are great ideas guy.

i solicited my idea to callaway and taylor made but it looks like they cannot accept the ideas because it came from outside the company.

Or maybe that is their default answer and what they really mean is your idea sucked. You are attempting to design a club that is illegal. I almost think OP is trolling based on what I've seen

I wonder how the bounce and camber playability would be with this when it could change all over?

Or maybe that is their default answer and what they really mean is your idea sucked. You are attempting to design a club that is illegal. I almost think OP is trolling based on what I've seen

It's SOP. When I was in R&D (with Mr. Edison), once a year we got a letter from Legal. If we received an unsolicited suggestion in the mail, as soon as we recognized it as such, we were to STOP reading, put the letter in a sealed envelope, contact Legal, and send them the entire thing. They issued a boilerplate unsolicited suggestion letter.

There are people who make money (or used to) by threatening litigation because they claim they had suggested the invention to Acme before Acme patented it. Mostly, they hoped to get paid to go away, and sometimes, especially with smaller companies, that is what happened. Someone tried just that - unsuccessfully - at a startup I worked for.

the email i got from callaway was immediate and a formal letter. taylormade said thank you and we are sending it to someone in a branch.
anyone who is interested in furthering this please pm me. I contacted a mechanical engineer who is in the golf industry.

the email i got from callaway was immediate and a formal letter. taylormade said thank you and we are sending it to someone in a branch.
anyone who is interested in furthering this please pm me. I contacted a mechanical engineer who is in the golf industry.
So Taylormade could already be working on a patent and your idea could be the new Adams released next year!

COuld be.
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the support and thinking of us.

I'll send your information over to my marketing/engineering team. If they have any questions someone will reach out.

We appreicate the support,
Team Taylormade

haha

Back