bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Well more help than most of you can give me. My brother wants a burrito from Chipotle, but he's still in Iraq. Since Chipotle has not opened up their middle east division yet I was thinking about sending him one.

Would this be safe to do? I would probably send it on dry ice. Would it be safe to eat after being on dry ice for about 2 weeks? Will the dry ice last that long? How much am I going to spend getting the dry ice?

Thanks for any help guys/gals.

now you've got me hungry...lol

Ive got two friends overseas in Iraq as well. I send them a package once a month. The both have requested that if I send food related items that it be individually sealed or well packaged in multiple zip-lock bags.
With the transit times on packages I dont think the tasty burrito would hold up even with dry ice. The temp starts to pick up in that area this time of year and both of my pals have advised to not send send anyfood other then dried preserve stuff (jerky and what not) after the end of this month. I just sent them both a whack of girl scout cookies.
Maybe if your brother has email access you can ask him as im sure he may have more insight to offer.

If you still think it may be worth a try, I would call a caterer in your area as most deal with dry ice and would be able to offer an 'expert' opinion on the logistics of operation burrito drop. :)

Last edited:
The woman in this building with the office next to ours runs a "support our troops" charity. I can ask her specifically about this, but Bread is right on about the effect of the mideast temperatures on food. For instance, she can't ship any chocolate to the mideast. They get lots of trefoils.

I don't think your brother is getting a burrito anytime soon.

Thanks guys. I know the temps right now over there aren't favorable for certain foods but he really wants one. I just don't want him to spend a week or so in the hospital with food poisoning. I talk to him daily via AIM and he keeps asking for one. I told him I could send him the wrapper to smell. :laugh: Would that be mean?? :smile:

Operation Burrito Drop temporarily grounded. :soldier:

There always has to be a way but it's a matter of whether it would be cost efficient. There are services that allow you mail food and they package it for you with dry ice. I'm guessing you can vacuum seal the burrito and send it. He's gotta love those burritos if you are going to all that trouble. He should take up an order from all his buddies and order like 50 burritos so they can split the shipping costs.

I've never used them put a quick search I found this.

http://www.frozenontime.com/default.htm

There always has to be a way but it's a matter of whether it would be cost efficient. There are services that allow you mail food and they package it for you with dry ice. I'm guessing you can vacuum seal the burrito and send it. He's gotta love those burritos if you are going to all that trouble. He should take up an order from all his buddies and order like 50 burritos so they can split the shipping costs.

I've never used them put a quick search I found this.

http://www.frozenontime.com/default.htm

Thanks for that link.

I e-mailed frozenontime.com yesterday afternoon and got a response from them last night. Looks like Operation Burrito Drop will have to be scratched. They said that the dry ice would not last for 14 days. :sad: It takes roughly that long for the post office to process everything and then get it delivered to the base so it's a no go.

that's sucks bogeyme. Well I guess you know where to take your brother when he gets back. In fact maybe you can have a burrito with you when you get to see him, I bet that would be a great homecoming welcome.

that's sucks bogeyme. Well I guess you know where to take your brother when he gets back. In fact maybe you can have a burrito with you when you get to see him, I bet that would be a great homecoming welcome.

That's a great idea but I don't think the burrito would make it to the airport. :drool: :laugh: Maybe I'll just take him after we pick him up or while he's home. I'd feel bad if I bought him a burrito and then ate it while waiting on him.

haha good point. Maybe it's just a better idea to treat him to the burrito when he gets back. Maybe even a week of burritos, this way he is sure to get his fill. I have never tried Chipotle before but all this talk is making me want one.

There are quite a few around us Smallie. But with her its always too much cheese or something...hehe

very fun boys. There are actually quite a few near us, I have just never eaten there. I just had Moes for the first time about 6 months ago. I didn't know what Chipotle was and I have never been a big fan of fast food, and I kind of thought that's what it was. Now that I know it's like a Moes I am all for it and can't wait to try it. But you both are right, I will probably get no cheese and no sourcream....it's just healthier that way. I prefer extra salsa and spicy!!

Well you'll like these, they are pretty spicy.

very fun boys. There are actually quite a few near us, I have just never eaten there. I just had Moes for the first time about 6 months ago. I didn't know what Chipotle was and I have never been a big fan of fast food, and I kind of thought that's what it was. Now that I know it's like a Moes I am all for it and can't wait to try it. But you both are right, I will probably get no cheese and no sourcream....it's just healthier that way. I prefer extra salsa and spicy!!

Get the Tomato Salsa (pico de gillo)(sp) and then the red chili salsa. The Tomato has very little spice but the red chili has some kick. The steak is good and has a little kick, the chicken is good but my favorite is the Carnitas. Did you see my post in the dinner thread from my burrito last night. 2 pounds of rice, meat, cheese, lettace, sour cream and salsa. :drool:

I e-mailed frozenontime.com yesterday afternoon and got a response from them last night. Looks like Operation Burrito Drop will have to be scratched. They said that the dry ice would not last for 14 days. :sad: It takes roughly that long for the post office to process everything and then get it delivered to the base so it's a no go.

I'm so sorry Bogey. I saw my office neighbor (the one who runs the troop support charity) and asked her. She'd had the same problems, trying to ship a soldier his favorite sandwich from a local deli.

All I can suggest is if there is a particular, non-perishable ingredient in the burrito that your brother likes, maybe you can ship THAT--a jar of cumin powder or jalapenos, a can of black beans, something like that?

I'm so sorry Bogey. I saw my office neighbor (the one who runs the troop support charity) and asked her. She'd had the same problems, trying to ship a soldier his favorite sandwich from a local deli.

All I can suggest is if there is a particular, non-perishable ingredient in the burrito that your brother likes, maybe you can ship THAT--a jar of cumin powder or jalapenos, a can of black beans, something like that?

With those it's hard to tell what the best part of the burrito is. Sometimes it's the rice, sometimes it's the meat, other times it's the salsa or cheese. I found out from my mom that it only takes about 5 days for things to get to him since he's on one of the major bases. But I called USPS and they told me that dry ice can not be mailed to APO/FPO/DPO addresses. So my idea was canned all around. :sad:

I was thinking that - I bet you could have Chipotle put many of the ingredients in little containers and send some of those. Anything like a tortilla they're missing, maybe they could locate. They could all make pseudo-Chipotles at least.

I'm thinking it would just get soggy and gross anyway.

I'll tell you what though, you can't blame your brother for wanting a Chipotle Burrito. They are delicious. But nothing beats the best of the best: Moe's.

I'll tell you what though, you can't blame your brother for wanting a Chipotle Burrito. They are delicious. But nothing beats the best of the best: Moe's.

I think I'm the only one here on THP who DOESN'T like Chipotle's, something about it just wasn't to my taste.

I think I'm the only one here on THP who DOESN'T like Chipotle's, something about it just wasn't to my taste.

You're not, I've tried it at a few different places now and I can't stand it. But if the guys in Iraq want it...:smile:

You're not, I've tried it at a few different places now and I can't stand it. But if the guys in Iraq want it...:smile:

Okay, I'm relieved.

Well if you eat it often I guess you would grow tired of it, but I limit myself to maybe 2 or 3 a month.

Back