I need to stop trying to kill the ball

after crushing a 5i this morning, i dropped another ball to see if i could repeat it...sure enough, an easy 3/4'ish swing and roped an almost identical shot about 10 yds past the first one...didn't count for anything but it felt good.

I constantly remind myself that it’s a golf swing not a golf hit. Swing through the ball and not at it.

My father told me a funny story when we were golfing once. He told me he and his buddy got paired up with a man that was pushing almost 90 years old and was still out there playing. He and his buddy would blast their drivers off the tee for 300 yards but end up all over the place, and this old man would walk up and put the ball down the middle of the fairway every time with a nice slow swing.
"Swing like you're a 90 year old man" is what I repeat to myself when I start trying to muscle the ball.

My father told me a funny story when we were golfing once. He told me he and his buddy got paired up with a man that was pushing almost 90 years old and was still out there playing. He and his buddy would blast their drivers off the tee for 300 yards but end up all over the place, and this old man would walk up and put the ball down the middle of the fairway every time.
"Swing like you're a 90 year old man" is what I repeat to myself when I start trying to muscle the ball.
Had the same thing happen when I first started playing in my 20s. My buddy and I would swing out of our shoes trying to hit bombs, we got paired with a couple of old guys and figured it was going to be the longest day of our lives. While we were constantly busy searching for our "bombs" in the trees and bushes, they were hitting 160 yard drives down the middle of the fairway and kicking our butts six ways to Sunday.

When I take my few warmup swings before hitting the ball, I swing it like I'm swinging a baseball bat as hard as I possible can. I want to hear a good "whoosh" with it. For some reason I seems to help my swing speed when I hit the ball. I don't think about swinging any harder when I'm hitting the ball. Or slower. I just swing what feels natural. I think that approach also levels my swing out better. I tend to get straighter as the round goes on. I also do that at the range.

Ever since I started doing that a few months ago my distance has increased. It normally takes a few holes to start feeling it, but the last round I had 3 drives in the 260-280 range over the last 3 driving holes. In comparison my drives before were in the 220-240 range. I'm thinking my newfound power is because of muscle memory developing when I swing as hard as I physically can on the practice swings.

I haven't changed the handicap in my profile yet but lately its been under 20. A year ago I had trouble breaking 100. The past 4 or 5 months I've been real steady with a lot of bogeys and very few triples. My goal is bogey golf. I was one under that last round because of my driving. The last hole was a 431 yard par 4 and I had my 7 iron out for the second shot. I've never done that before.

I will say that approach might not work for someone else. I was a baseball/fast pitch softball player for over 30 years. And I used to be considered a power hitter back in the day. I think that might have something to do with it.

Back