I never dreamed it'd be this tough...

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I've posted about it here before, but it's getting close enough to be real now. My oldest son is leaving to join the Navy on Thursday. I'm not normally an emotional kind of guy, but this one is getting to me. Not so much that he's joining the military. I did my 20 and I know what he's getting into. It's mainly that he's our oldest and the first to leave the house on his own. He's a great kid that has given us next to zero worries growing up so it's not that I'm worried about him, but I guess I'm searching trying to assure myself that we did everything we could to set him on the right path (I mean, short of joining the AF instead of the Navy).

Parents, how did you cope when your oldest left home? Bonus points if you sent them off to the military.

No advice for you here OG as my boy is opposite yours and just figuring out how to walk and talk! But wanted to express my gratitude to both you and your son for serving. I'm Canadian, but for most conflicts, our nations tend to fight side by side and I still thank you for what you and your family are doing!

No advice for you here OG as my boy is opposite yours and just figuring out how to walk and talk! But wanted to express my gratitude to both you and your son for serving. I'm Canadian, but for most conflicts, our nations tend to fight side by side and I still thank you for what you and your family are doing!

I remember being in your shoes. It'll sound cliché, but it's true when they say, "Don't blink." You'll look back when your kid(s) turn 18 and leave and wonder where the time went.

I can't offer anything in the way to cope (only have my wife's adult children) but I am thankful for your service and his willingness to serve his country.

Well today is the day. I hope you’re handling it ok. Big day seeing one start out on their own I’m sure.

As you know all three of mine were taken away at once midsummer. I had a couple months to chew on that then damn near took myself out (by accident, not on purpose) with an auto wreck.

Congrats to the young man! And thank you and him for your service!

Good luck to him and you! Been there, done that. He'll come out the other end a better man!

My oldest is 16, and he's a blink away from leaving the house. I'm starting to get really... scared isn't the right word. He'll do fine, whatever he does, but I can't believe I can already see the end of the road with him, at least in terms of him living under my roof and seeing him every day. :( :( :(

My only one is more than a thousand miles away attending college. Currently in third year but she seems to have adapted fine. It's hard to comprehend that it's their life they are living. I just hope that I have given her enough as far in guidance for her to thrive being away.

You should be proud that he followed your example and decided his calling was to serve his country.

I'm beyond proud.

Coincidentally, today is MrsOG's birthday. She got to bid farewell to her oldest on her birthday. We came home, at dinner, and then bombarded her with presents. I gave her one from her recently departed son and she cried as soon as she read the label and realized he'd left her a gift. It was completely unexpected.

We're doing good, but as some of you have mentioned, it's really tough to comprehend how they're on their own and I can only hope I've imparted enough wisdom to help him along the way now. He knows we're here if he needs us, but we all know, they're not gonna call us for every little thing. I just hope he makes good decisions. I'm sure he will.

This is going to be tough. I am a nervous wreck just with my oldest driving around on his own (he started driving on his own in September). He got his first college letter/brochure today and him leaving the house is getting real. He is a junior in HS...

Oh, I understand!!

My daughter and son both went in the Air Force, hated to see them leave but proud of them also!

Best of luck to your son through basic training and after!

Sound like your oldest son is a man. Congrats and thank you. Ooorah.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh man, my son is 14 and he is already super independent, thoughtful, and goal oriented. He is talking about college and where he wants to fo now so I know when he leaves he will be gone forever. It's already making me just appreciate the time I do get with him. I know that's the goal of parenting, but it's kind of bittersweet that about the time they become awesome people they leave and build their own life.

Our oldest is 22 and in his last year of college and our middle child is a sophomore in college 1500 miles away. Celebrate that you've obviously done things right and sending him off with even more wisdom than you think. I felt like our oldest was more like a 15 year old when we left him at school halfway across the country but he did just fine. There is a lot of satisfaction seeing them grow into adults and find their happiness. If only we could slow down our children's lives but we can't. My wife and I are thankful every day that we still have one at home for another few years. It will be very strange indeed when she leaves.

My oldest was easy. He graduated & already had a job waiting for him as he was recruited out of college. So off he went on his own. Now I had to help him move his shiznit out of the house & take it to his apartment. .... in WV, then to TN! But all worth it in the end. He's making his own money & really taking care of himself.
The middle one .. now he's another story. Graduated & still at home with no job out of college :mad: We don't see eye to eye & he needs to get out of the house ASAP. (y)

We got our first real letter from him today. Sounds like he's adjusting well. I think the ~5 months of working out in the gym after he graduated made a big difference. He said he made it through their first full PT session without getting called out or falling out while a few of the others had trouble. He said they started with 89 and they're down in the 60's after their first official PT. Honestly, that's sad. The minimum requirements are not so tough that ~25% of them should fail.

Anyway, we're very proud of him and looking forward to seeing him graduate in a few weeks.

Be prepared to marvel at his rapid maturation.

My son is 24, daughter is 22. Neither served, both went off to college. Their growth was rapid and somewhat alarming. From boy to man, girl to woman in a darn flash, it seemed. I can only assume that the transition for those who serve, must be even faster.

I shared similar angst when we were back in NY and my son headed off to NC State. Like yours, he never gave us reason to worry. The model son, steady, respectful, focused. But a parent will allow even the irrational invitation of fear. It's what we do.

Time has proven however, that the foundation set was realized, for both our kids. These roots provided a strong base for them to grow into themselves. There were a few hiccups along the way, some natural, some boneheaded. But who they always were, who they are, ultimately righted them.

He's now a civil engineer. Highly respected, enjoying early success. She's completing her masters, "interning" and soon to be teaching HS U.S. History classes with an eye toward becoming a university professor.

Ours, as so many of our friends and I'm sure yours, will reap the benefits of that loving foundation you've provided; now serving as a springboard for what comes next.

It's SO freakin' cool. Enjoy.

Be prepared to marvel at his rapid maturation.

You ain't kiddin'!

He called today. All of our fears were for naught. He's adapting very well and he even said he's having fun! He said he's eating great and he's sleeping well. Not sleeping much, mind you, but from the way he talked, I think he's asleep before his head hits the pillow. He's taken on some additional tasks and seems to be handling everything very well. I can't explain how proud I am of this kid...

On Veterans Day, he’ll soon be one.

I shook so many hands today and thanked so many folks for their service it was unreal.

So I’ll offer OG a virtual handshake and a sincere Thank You for your service. And even though it’s gotta be hitting hard, especially today, you’ve gotta be one proud papa.

You wanna know what the number one (probably at least 50%) response was when I thanked a vet today? “No, thank you. It was my honor”

With a couple of the really older fellas that saw service in WW2, I had to turn away so they wouldn’t see me tearing up. Not much gets me emotional. Having someone in their 90’s that fought in WW2 telling me it was their honor and knowing them well enough to know the horrors they went through and they’re still saying that? Gets me every time.

I don’t even know enough as to when it’s appropriate to fly a flag so I didn’t raise mine today. That’s on me, not knowing. I wanted to but knew it would be raining or snowing by the time I got home from work. Otherwise I’d have been very proudly flying a flag today. I’d rather not fly it than to disrespect it. Those in the service will know and I’d rather not fly it than to have even one person think I’m disrespectful to them or it.

Side note, I really need to learn when it’s appropriate and when it’s not.

So, two weeks from today, we'll arrive in Great Lakes, IL. Two weeks from tomorrow, I'll see my boy march in his graduation ceremony. I, honestly, can't wait. Time seems to have flown by so far. I just bought his plane ticket to come home for Christmas and it's starting to hit home. After this Christmas, we won't see him all that often. Maybe once or twice each year and likely less sometimes because he'll be out on the ship.

Isn't amazing to see your kids grow up and become adults??? I am a Sap and I will admit to tearing up a lot when I dropped my oldest off to college last year.

I also remember flying home for thanksgiving after completing basic and it was probably one of my favorite Turkey days! Enjoy your time!!!

So, two weeks from today, we'll arrive in Great Lakes, IL. Two weeks from tomorrow, I'll see my boy march in his graduation ceremony. I, honestly, can't wait. Time seems to have flown by so far. I just bought his plane ticket to come home for Christmas and it's starting to hit home. After this Christmas, we won't see him all that often. Maybe once or twice each year and likely less sometimes because he'll be out on the ship.
20 years ago I spent some time with a church group that would hold services for the seamen every Sunday at Great Lakes. Although we were there with a specific denomination, we regularly had many visitors from other faiths, or even from those that did not belong to a faith. It was always interesting to see the look in the new recruits eyes during the first few weeks they were there. Even without knowing that much about what they were going through, you could see in their eyes that it was a lot and that graduating was a major accomplishment.

Congratulations to your boy and congratulations to you and your wife.

So, I've posted about it here before, but it's getting close enough to be real now. My oldest son is leaving to join the Navy on Thursday. I'm not normally an emotional kind of guy, but this one is getting to me. Not so much that he's joining the military. I did my 20 and I know what he's getting into. It's mainly that he's our oldest and the first to leave the house on his own. He's a great kid that has given us next to zero worries growing up so it's not that I'm worried about him, but I guess I'm searching trying to assure myself that we did everything we could to set him on the right path (I mean, short of joining the AF instead of the Navy).

Parents, how did you cope when your oldest left home? Bonus points if you sent them off to the military.

You will be alright OG :)
Regarding "the right path", I think the Navy teaches lots of useful habits and skills, so hopefully your son will benefit.

Aside from letting him pick the Navy (Obligatory as an Army guy) you obviously did a great job raising him and preparing him for the world. You should be every bit as proud as you are, as I hope to be when my oldest chooses a path in life.

Back