I painted my driver and three wood! (Suprise!)

Ca3L

Reaction score
7352284268_1d5c021bec_z.jpg

MORE PICTURES ON PAGE 3!!
This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time, but have never had the time. No, it has absolutely nothing to do with Bubba Watson (and yes, I am also left-handed). Why pink? I love pink, the lettering on all of my clubs is pink, and my grandmother had breast cancer so the color really grew on me while I showed my support for her in her battle.

Feel as you may about it, but I just so happen to think these look amazing, and came out better than I had ever hoped.

How did I do it?
I took the old paint off with paint thinner, and then sanded it down so the primer would bond to the metal. I then taped down the areas which I didn't want to be sprayed. Then I sprayed 2 even coats of primer, then 2 even coats of matte pink color, and lastly 2 even coats of matte finish which seals it and 'dulls' the finish so it won't be bothersome with glare.
After I let it dry I peeled the tape off and coated the edges between the paint and the metal with nail polish sealant to hopefully protect the paint from chipping.
The pink you see on the shaft is not really pink, it's just reflection. The shaft is blue PX 6.5.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Wow looks awesome.

Those look great, man!

Nice work Ca3L! You better start bombing those 300+ yards now as people will be expecting it!

Looks pretty good but normally paint and golf clubs do not work well together. Hope it holds up for you.

That looks really good. I would never try it because I know I would mess it up, but good for you for doing it.

Great job, I like it Ca3L, it really looks good.

those look sweet!

Looks pretty good but normally paint and golf clubs do not work well together. Hope it holds up for you.

That is what I was afraid of. I figured I'd give it a shot, though. There's no harm in trying!
I did use all high quality stuff though, so it should hold up for a while in the least

Really digging the Matte.

The pink glare on the shafts might drive me a bit batty though.

Wow those look great and hope the paint lasts. That is a remarkable job, however I feel more pictures would be mandatory

Nice job. Hopefully it holds up for you. I bet you have the only pink VR Pro in the US.

The process is time consuming, but it was extremely fun and I'll be doing my hybrids if these withstand the test of time.

Wow those look great and hope the paint lasts. That is a remarkable job, however I feel more pictures would be mandatory

My camera batteries are charging right now!

Nice Job!!

Will it change the feel when you hit the ball?

I just finished it, and it's been raining here nonstop, so I've yet to see if it will or not. I don't believe it will. I was worried about the weight of the coats of paint, but I did a side by side with another and it's impossible to tell just by holding it.. You'd need a scale

Looks like a very good paint job. :thumb: What kind of paint did you use? I'm curious on how the paint holds up.

whyy.........

I think it looks great. I'd love to refinish my old R5 in matte black like the new PING's...if I don't replace it with the Titleist 913, I will def have to get it done.

Alright Bubba is that you? lol

That looks really professionally done!
Great looking club and great thing to support

I think it looks quite good and its a nice cause.
My question would be what characteristics do you think changed by the sanding that was done?

Looks great! Good on ya for supporting your Grandma!

Looks great but how did you get so evenly painted. I always seem to be heavy in areas when I spray paint. Are you using reg. cabs of paint or special type?

Nice work !
Keep us updated on the durability of the paint job.

I think it looks quite good and its a nice cause.
My question would be what characteristics do you think changed by the sanding that was done?

To be quite honest., I did it only because my father spray paints quite often and told me that you should always sand before priming, so I did as he said to.
It essentially cleans the surface of any old paint and helps the primer 'stick' better, from what I've read.

Back