I think I am getting a 9 wood

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was getting my lofts and lies checked by my fitter at Cool Clubs and we started talking about a gap in the high end of my bag. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my 5W and 5i. I hit a few hybrids which I didn't love and when I hit the 7w it gapped a bit too close to my 5W. We took a Ping 425 7W and added 1.5* of loft which got it to 22*. That seemed to get the carry I was looking for maxing out around 185 yards. The issue with that is it closed the clubface and tended to miss left. The 9W is 23.5* and you can take 1.5* off it which should fix that issue.

I was hitting it with a Ventus red 7s which I liked but I am not sure I am looking to spend $600 on a 9w. I generally would go that for a driver.

The fitter suggested just going to PGATSS and getting a stock club and seeing how I like it. The problem is it would likely have a senior shaft if I can find one. He is going to see what availability is and think about a shaft option that would be good and is less than $350. I am going to talk to my pro and see what an order from Ping would look like with one of their shaft options.

I could probably replace my 14* 3W and 18* 5W with one club in the 16* range and the 9W but I am happy with the lower end of the bag and not sure what I would add. The 3W and 5W carry not to differently but I get better run out on the 3W for more total distance.

Nice!! I’m all about this, haha. I have the same 7w coming that I’ll probably move for the same exact reason you cite above. So I too have been contemplating the 9w. Not sure it’s something I actually need, but I do tend to get more rollout with a 4H than I’d prefer. If you get one, I’ll be intrigued to hear more about it.

Hey, whatever works for you. A common thing many golfers complain about hybrids is the closed face that is often common with them. I get used to it and am successful with them. If a 9w works for you, Great! Here is my 'longer part' of my bag:
Driver 10.5° 230 yds
4w 16.5° 185-210 yds
4h 21° 175-185 yds
5h 24° 165-175 yds
6h 27° 155-165 yds
7h 30° 145-155 yds
8h 33° 135-145 yds

I had a lefts issue with my Srixon 7w and also it went as far as my Mavrik SZ 5w but on a higher trajectory. The 7W was traded in.

I was getting my lofts and lies checked by my fitter at Cool Clubs and we started talking about a gap in the high end of my bag. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my 5W and 5i. I hit a few hybrids which I didn't love and when I hit the 7w it gapped a bit too close to my 5W. We took a Ping 425 7W and added 1.5* of loft which got it to 22*. That seemed to get the carry I was looking for maxing out around 185 yards. The issue with that is it closed the clubface and tended to miss left. The 9W is 23.5* and you can take 1.5* off it which should fix that issue.

I was hitting it with a Ventus red 7s which I liked but I am not sure I am looking to spend $600 on a 9w. I generally would go that for a driver.

The fitter suggested just going to PGATSS and getting a stock club and seeing how I like it. The problem is it would likely have a senior shaft if I can find one. He is going to see what availability is and think about a shaft option that would be good and is less than $350. I am going to talk to my pro and see what an order from Ping would look like with one of their shaft options.

I could probably replace my 14* 3W and 18* 5W with one club in the 16* range and the 9W but I am happy with the lower end of the bag and not sure what I would add. The 3W and 5W carry not to differently but I get better run out on the 3W for more total distance.
I have a 9W Mav Max that I was going to trade in if your interested...
I hit great however I've re-configured my bag since I got it.

Right now the top end of my bag from a carry distance looks like:

D 220
3W 200
5W 195
5i 175

I am looking to fill that gap between the 5W and 5i and the Ping 425 9W seems like it should work. It is a little risky because you can't find one to hit particularly with the shaft I am thinking. I am right on the edge of regular and stiff but I like a bit more weight for consistency of contact.

I have a 9W Mav Max that I was going to trade in if your interested...
I hit great however I've re-configured my bag since I got it.

I am looking for a bit less loft than 23*.

Right now the top end of my bag from a carry distance looks like:

D 220
3W 200
5W 195
5i 175

I am looking to fill that gap between the 5W and 5i and the Ping 425 9W seems like it should work. It is a little risky because you can't find one to hit particularly with the shaft I am thinking. I am right on the edge of regular and stiff but I like a bit more weight for consistency of contact.

Ping 425 4H no good for you?

7W is your way to go. That should gap nicely.

Son used to work 2nd swing and they had used 9-11w at fine prices and you can test and or exchange later. Here is a link

Clubworks could likely build you one too

I am going to talk to my pro tomorrow to see what he can get from Ping. The fitter got back to me with a recommendation that he can get built in 2 weeks but it is expensive. There are a couple of shaft options from Ping that might work. The benefit of getting it from the fitter is if I don’t love it they will refund my money.

For 20 bucks you could demo a hogan hybrid for two weeks. And other clubs as well,in real course conditions

For 20 bucks you could demo a hogan hybrid for two weeks. And other clubs as well,in real course conditions

I have had one it didn’t fill the gap. Hits lower than I would like with more roll out. I have a 23* one that goes about the same distance as my 5i and I think a 20 or 21* will roll out too much. I also have a U65 20* that I just adjusted to 21*. I have also had an M6 hybrid that I hooked the snot out of plus I have owned several other hybrids over the years and struggled with missing left with them.

I like woods.

Could you have your 7W tipped or butt-trimmed to lose the yardage?

I have had one it didn’t fill the gap. Hits lower than I would like with more roll out. I have a 23* one that goes about the same distance as my 5i and I think a 20 or 21* will roll out too much. I also have a U65 20* that I just adjusted to 21*. I have also had an M6 hybrid that I hooked the snot out of plus I have owned several other hybrids over the years and struggled with missing left with them.

I assume you've tried the Ping hybrid in the flat lie setting?

Shafts make all the difference in a hybrid. Problem is height - most stock shafts don't work for me so that makes the hybrid an expensive club - best shaft I found is a Tensei CK Pro Red 70 - I would not mind putting that in a Ping 425 22Hybrid.

But a 9 wood - I'd shorten the standard shaft length, make sure you can put a weight in the head for swing weight and a shaft that is at least 70-80g and have fun.

I love it. Play what you want, and enjoy it!

I still really want to get an 11 wood and put something silly like a 100g and X flex shaft in it.

Shafts make all the difference in a hybrid. Problem is height - most stock shafts don't work for me so that makes the hybrid an expensive club - best shaft I found is a Tensei CK Pro Red 70 - I would not mind putting that in a Ping 425 22Hybrid.

But a 9 wood - I'd shorten the standard shaft length, make sure you can put a weight in the head for swing weight and a shaft that is at least 70-80g and have fun.

I am looking at a mid 70g shaft in it.

I struggle with low and mid-irons and so I've sort of embraced my limitations. Swapped them out for woods in my bag. I have Cobra F9 woods which I love. Started with a 3, added a 5, then a 7. And I hit them so consistently that I decided to get another 7 and jack up the loft so it's really a 9 wood. People look at me like I'm crazy when I am hitting a wood on a 155 yd PAR 3 hole, but the ball flight looks like I'm hitting a wedge. Woods have really helped my game.

I struggle with low and mid-irons and so I've sort of embraced my limitations. Swapped them out for woods in my bag. I have Cobra F9 woods which I love. Started with a 3, added a 5, then a 7. And I hit them so consistently that I decided to get another 7 and jack up the loft so it's really a 9 wood. People look at me like I'm crazy when I am hitting a wood on a 155 yd PAR 3 hole, but the ball flight looks like I'm hitting a wedge. Woods have really helped my game.

I used to play with a customer who was like that. He had something crazy from Bang golf that he hit a 100 yards. He basically had all woods and some wedges for around the greens. He could play also he was a low double digit handicap.

Play what helps you shoot the best scores.

I know a lot of folks are in the 'fix your swing and you will be able to hit any club in the bag' camp. Here's the thing. I didn't really start golfing seriously until my 40's. I'm short, stocky, not very flexible, and swing like the Terminator (or so I'm told). If my swing were ever going to 'get fixed' it would have been by now. For whatever reason, the woods feel most comfortable in my hands. It really makes no sense as most will tell you those are the hardest clubs to hit consistently, but for me, they are easy. I have a good short game so that is my salvation lol...

Back