I wonder if I'm just supposed to be using super improvement player irons?

Tommy Armour wrote a book in the 50's that is easily available for $5 on ebay most weeks. he spends about 30 pages of very simple cause and effect that has helped me greatly as it relates to grip, grip pressure and pressure all through the swing. I still fight my deamonds; especially when I start to feel "loose". Why one of the top notch pro's never told me this I don't get for the life of me. seems very simple.

Yes, the great player and instructor Tommy Armour wrote that he wanted six months to teach student the grip. Nicklaus instructor Jack Grout's policy was to refuse to teach any student that would not use proper grip technique (Grout did not want to waste his time or the student's time).

Yes, the great player and instructor Tommy Armour wrote that he wanted six months to teach student the grip. Nicklaus instructor Jack Grout's policy was to refuse to teach any student that would not use proper grip technique (Grout did not want to waste his time or the student's time).

indeed and you can work on grip in one's house as you suggested earlier. In fact, for me going to the range to "try out a new grip" was a no go. I work on it in the house, then hitting birdie balls in my drive way, then I hit a few real balls to understand impact on my ball flight

I’m sure they would but there’s also a reason why they use the equipment they do. And are OFTEN switching out things in their equipment.

Not sure what your point means as it relates to sales? Golf instructors are also in the business to make money on lessons.
Curious, what age group are you in?

Yes, the great player and instructor Tommy Armour wrote that he wanted six months to teach student the grip.
Far be it from me to question somebody with Armour's creds, but that seems excessive, to me. I say this while in the midst of taking off-line instruction that demands a lot of what I call "WOWO reps." ("Wax On, Wax Off" repetitions), and strongly believing in the methodology.

I will say this, too, because apparently I've yet to have noted it in this thread: While I'm considering new clubs, I won't even go to a fitting until my lessons have progressed sufficiently, I've got some range time in, I've played a few games, and my swing seems to have somewhat settled-down into something at least vaguely repeatable. I expect (hope?) that to be sometime in May or June, but it'll be whenever it is.

Far be it from me to question somebody with Armour's creds, but that seems excessive, to me.
Consider that swing plane, club face angle, wrist hinge, swing tempo , swing rhythm and more are all directly related to grip technique. And know that most all swing faults can be traced back to grip technique.
This is why highly competent instructors focus so much on teaching grip technique. Armour’s point was not that it literally took 6 months to teach a student the grip. In fact he probably spent no more than one minute to demonstrate proper grip technique. His point was that his students should commit (meaning every swing for six months) to proper grip technique. Armour knew from that would naturally come to the student all the wonderful In swing positions and golf shots that everybody wants.

First thing whatever you do is look at set markup - you likely need only at most 6-SW and probably 2 hybrids and a high lofted driver then consider one FW wood probably a 5. I shoot low 80s and rarely walk with more than ten clubs. Limit mistakes, get fitted some irons and likely your driver (should be likely high MOI and relatively high loft) and continue some lessons and you should improve. As far as irons i would look at some Cobra or Tour Edge (great value) forgiving models as one thought. Enjoy the process. Also consider a 9 hole playing lesson as golf on course a lot different from the range.

This is why highly competent instructors focus so much on teaching grip technique. Armour’s point was not that it literally took 6 months to teach a student the grip. In fact he probably spent no more than one minute to demonstrate proper grip technique. His point was that his students should commit (meaning every swing for six months) to proper grip technique.
Oh. Ok. Now that makes sense.

Grip technique was the very first thing our class instructor taught us last summer. And he kept a close eye on us, thereafter, ensuring it had sunk in and we were doing it. It was not the very first thing True Motion taught, but it was the first thing they taught when they first had me pick up a club. (The two taught the same grip--just slightly different ways to achieve it.)

My swing setup is very studied, and part of that is gripping every club the same way, every time, and I establish that grip even before I step up to address the ball.

Yes I do have the cobra speedone ol's on a 14 day trial. I just started messing around with them. No clue where I'll end up here. The speedzone are less forgiving then my gigagolf p30 knockoffs though. The face is smaller, sole about the same.
Have you considered the Launcher HBs? I bought this set for my beginner son. Can’t get much wider sole than this

I would buy new irons, but that’s just me. Lol

Have you considered the Launcher HBs? I bought this set for my beginner son. Can’t get much wider sole than this
I wish I could try those on global golf. They're in consideration. But overall I think you guys have mostly talked me out of anything haha. I'll mess with my OL cobras for right now and see where it leads.

Had a great net session yesterday for 80 balls. Lot of pure shots, clean hits.

Today absolute disaster everything was at about 100 yards. It's just ridiculous.

Had a great net session yesterday for 80 balls. Lot of pure shots, clean hits.

Today absolute disaster everything was at about 100 yards. It's just ridiculous.
The phenomena you're experiencing is called....golf :ROFLMAO:

The phenomena you're experiencing is called....golf :ROFLMAO:
A friend of mine who just took up golf last year and still shoots around 110-120 is afraid to come out on the course. He goes to the driving range several days a week, but won’t come out and play. He doesn’t understand how he can shoot 104 one round and 124 the next. One day he said “I just want to be able to hit what I’m aiming at!”. I told him, “There’s a word for people like that - they’re called ‘Pros’”.

The same thing happens in tennis imo. Just hitting around before a match as a 4.0 - 4.5 kind of player we have good rallies. The game starts and everything gets tight on both sides of the net.

Hmm. See you guys got me watching all kinds of videos on grip. I think my grip is too strong. I’m seeing too many knuckles and wasn’t covering near enough on my right hand.

Hmm. See you guys got me watching all kinds of videos on grip. I think my grip is too strong. I’m seeing too many knuckles and wasn’t covering near enough on my right hand.

Don't think knuckles only. does your left arm stay straight all the way to the top and as the club falls the first foot. For 25 years I thought grip was knuckles and V's; it is more complicated. Watch Steve Stricker at the senior tournament today. Look at his simple looking swing. watch him in slow motion. I ask myself every time I watch him swing how he gets distance.

Well, as most here who know me will expect me to say “More alcohol.” However, I’m going against my better judgement and not saying “More alcohol.”,I will say that for the grip, as a lifelong high capper, when I started to really strengthen my grip, it worked for me.

If you've never had a lesson, they come in many forms, not all helpful. Maybe consider taking a chipping lesson, and have the pro evaluate your irons, maybe give you a few tips.
I'd spend time on the range mastering a 100 yard shot accurately, to a green.
When you develop confidence and strategy in the short game, the other aspects get easier to master. Good luck, it takes time and patience.

Alright this is a confusing one to explain my thoughts on, but I just want to be slightly better than a bogey golfer...17 handicap or so would thrill me! Right now i'm lucky if I break a 100. According to arccos i'm a 30 handicap.

I golfed a 104 yesterday and comparing it to a 17 handicap it's something like this:
Lost 7 strokes to driver
Lost 11 strokes to approach shots IN PARTICULAR 9 from 100-150 yards
Lost -0.7 shots on short game
Gained +2.5 on putting (averaged 1.8 putts and had 3 up and downs)

It's not hard to see where I struggle, and this is consistent across multiple games this season. So in comes my question. I have two clubs I love. My putter. And this dumb 37 degree chipper I got from Pinemeadow 2 years ago for like $40. Can't say I have any confidence with any other club in my bag. It's basically a 7 iron with a massive sole. I use it off the fringe, out of the rough, anywhere from 10 yards to 50 yards. https://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs/wedges/excel-egi-chipper.pfs

My question is should I be looking at some of these super game improvement irons that almost look like this 37 degree chipper? Would a club champion even fit those type of irons? I'm talking something like the Cobra T Rails or the Cleveland Turbo HB's? I have just cheap player improvement irons now that kind of mimic an old school ping (gigagolf p3 bros). I just don't understand how much you take away from your play when you go this super improvement route. My weakness is literally contact. I just struggle to make clean contact with any of my clubs on a full swing, and I'm wondering if equipment can't help me? I'm currently trialing a set of OL Cobras from globalgolf to try to improve consistency but...was curious if anybody like me has had success moving from the club they learned golf on, took lessons with and still moved to some of these super improvement player irons with the really fat soles?
You should certainly try them and see how they work for you. I wouldnt relegate myself to using shovels though. You should play what you want and what you like. Handicap should never dictate what clubs you think that you should and shouldnt be playing.

I posted two swing videos over in the swing tips forum if anyone is curious, I don’t quite have the space to get a great front shot but that’s a decent normal 7i for me.
Just took a quick look, two things stick out at first glance. 1. You are swaying and not staying centered on the ball causing your low point to move. 2. Early extension/ flipping at the ball which will cause the loss of distance. JMHO. 😎

Stupid sway. I see it. Not sure I understand the flip part.

Stupid sway. I see it. Not sure I understand the flip part.
I'm not going to suggest lessons; you're already taking them. I'm not going to mention trying the speedzones; you're already trying them.

I'm going to suggest something I did years ago... I was looking to upgrade my irons but didn't want to spend $$$$ on a set that I wasn't sure about. I went to ebay and bought a 6 iron of the set I was wanting to try for cheap. I tried it and didn't like it.

So, if you're looking for SGI clubs, I'd suggest you try something like Tour Edge Hot Launch 4's. Find something like a 7 iron or 6 iron online and pick one up... give it a whirl... then if it works for you, get the rest of the set you're looking for.

Check Callaway Pre Owned... they've got a 90 day club trial program too on some clubs.

Good luck!

Back