i3, i5, or i10...which one...

DblBogey4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to starts practicing with more of a players iron with a goal of having them in the bag regularly by the fall. Big fan of Ping irons, and have found some older models at decent prices. Would like to get some feedback on te pros and cons of these. I know the i10 seems to be a love or hate thing, and there are multiple versions of the i3's. not looking for the 'best' of them since that's impossible to tell just some feedback...

Thanks!

Pros: price

Cons: they're old

Looking to starts practicing with more of a players iron with a goal of having them in the bag regularly by the fall. Big fan of Ping irons, and have found some older models at decent prices. Would like to get some feedback on te pros and cons of these. I know the i10 seems to be a love or hate thing, and there are multiple versions of the i3's. not looking for the 'best' of them since that's impossible to tell just some feedback...

Thanks!

FWIW, I really enjoyed the i5's a lot more than the i3's and especially the i10's when I hit them. A looooooooot of guys around here still play their i5's. For me personally in the iSeries it would rank out i20, i5, i3, i10. If you can find a set of the 5's for a song, I don't think you'd be disappointed. Plus, the benefit to these irons is that no matter the age most of them still look tremendous because they wear so dang well.

FWIW, I really enjoyed the i5's a lot more than the i3's and especially the i10's when I hit them. A looooooooot of guys around here still play their i5's. For me personally in the iSeries it would rank out i20, i5, i3, i10. If you can find a set of the 5's for a song, I don't think you'd be disappointed. Plus, the benefit to these irons is that no matter the age most of them still look tremendous because they wear so dang well.

Smart man. i5's are iconic and possibly still the best iron Ping has ever made. It is unbelievably forgiving for a players iron plus they have blue in them. i10's were not nearly as forgiving and I kind of don't like Orange. I mean, unless you live in Syracuse who does?

Smart man. i5's are iconic and possibly still the best iron Ping has ever made. It is unbelievably forgiving for a players iron plus they have blue in them. i10's were not nearly as forgiving and I kind of don't like Orange. I mean, unless you live in Syracuse who does?
Yep, the 10's were terrible, the 3's brought the line back, but the 5's were tremendous. There is a very good reason you can see similarities of the 5's in the 20's IMO.

Better or equal to the i15?

And where do i15's fall in?

Better or equal to the i15?

Far better IMO. I15's were OK. Nothing special. Forgiveness in the i5 is superior and I slightly liked the feel of the 5's. And I like blue. As silly as it sounds, that factors in.

Far better IMO. I15's were OK. Nothing special. Forgiveness in the i5 is superior and I slightly liked the feel of the 5's. And I like blue. As silly as it sounds, that factors in.

I think the 15's were better than the 10's, but still just behind or maybe equal to the 5's. The 5's were REALLY good.

I think the 15's were better than the 10's, but still just behind or maybe equal to the 5's. The 5's were REALLY good.

I would agree. 10's were junk to be honest. Heck Dean likes them. Enough said...

I would agree. 10's were junk to be honest. Heck Dean likes them. Enough said...

I enjoyed the i10s. Played them from when they came out up till middle of last year. I thought the i5 was a little better and more forgiving. But when it came time to purchase I wanted the newer model.

Thanks for all the great replies. Think I need to go i5 or i15, but I'm leaning toward the 5's-price and there is just something about the 15's visually that is off to me. Plus it seems the 5 series seems to be one of the cult clubs-or is getting there.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great replies. Think I need to go i5 or i15, but I'm leaning toward the 5's-price and there is just something about the 15's visually that is off to me. Plus it seems the 5 series seems to be one of the cult clubs-or is getting there.

Thanks!

5's were a good set.

Dean you still play the 10's ever?

Old? Are you calling my i3's old? They are 13 years young this month. The badges have fallen out of 1/2 of them, but they are still ticking.

I just pulled i3s out of my bag. I have never particularly liked them, but until recently I didn't play enough to justify the expense of replacing them.

I've had them all including the 15's and currently the 20's. I actually preferred the 10's to the 5's or 15's but like the 20's a lot better than any of them. My order of preference to my owned Pings are as follows: 1- I20's, 2- S-56, 3 (tie) Answers and Nickel ISI, 4- I10's, 5-I5's, 6-I15's, 7-Eye 2's, 8-I3's and 9- S58.

Back