@Iceman! 2/15 Shaft Fitting at Nippon Shaft Test Center

You should for sure - Take a half day off of work and make an afternoon appointment - the fitting process was amazing.
I wish I screen grabbed the trackman readings because the correct shaft cause my number to really jump in a good way.
We didn't look at the numbers until we had narrow down the shaft. Think he does that on purpose so you don't alter your swing or your thoughts.
Mark really knows what he is doing.
I'll tell you after 45 minutes of swinging I was out of gas just from swinging different shafts and the nervousness of making good swings.

Great stuff sir and glad you found something that worked for you! I'm also a big fan of the Modus line. I'm attmpting to go all graphite this year, but if that doesn't work out, there's a solid chance I'll be back. So many good options.

That’s pretty cool experience. Really seems like a laid back no pressure type environment which I would like.

Also big fan of the Modus lineup, so smooth. If my body allowed me to play steel, Modus would probably be top of the list.

You should for sure - Take a half day off of work and make an afternoon appointment - the fitting process was amazing.
I wish I screen grabbed the trackman readings because the correct shaft cause my number to really jump in a good way.
We didn't look at the numbers until we had narrow down the shaft. Think he does that on purpose so you don't alter your swing or your thoughts.
Mark really knows what he is doing.
I'll tell you after 45 minutes of swinging I was out of gas just from swinging different shafts and the nervousness of making good swings.
I will be calling today. Just reviewed the Nippon website again and I like how they show EI curves for everything. What I love even more is that they correlate their irons and woods to a type of swing. If you look at the graphite wood shafts they tell you which iron shaft matches up well, and vice versa. I've always wondered why more OEM's didn't do this.

This is awesome! What a great experience. I'm so glad you found a combo that works for you. Now you have no excuses for missing greens! :ROFLMAO: LOL!
I have a set of Nippons in my old Titleist 690MB irons. Loved them back then, so I'm sure the technology is so much better now.

So I got the Fitting Center and met Mark. Really nice guy. He looks at my clubs and takes specs on what I’ve bought in. He asks: “What are you hoping to achieve?” I show him my Strokes Gained Report from ShotScope:
View attachment 8993799
I’m looking for more consistency from my irons.
He then grabs a T300 head because he hasn’t a T400. After he had troubles connected the head, he grabs another head but I don’t look at it as to alter my thought process.
He asks me what ball I play and I tell him V1x.
He grabs a dozen of TourB X balls.

I hit 4 with my T400 7i for a baseline on Trackman. He then gives me a set up and I hit 4 balls. I brought my swing, at least that’s what I call it. The switching out goes for 4 rounds. Guessing 750/850/950/950 Neo. He the puts in a 105 Modus Tour Regular Flex and the numbers came alive. I’m hitting it 10 yards further than my 7i. We’re getting somewhere.
We try 105’s in Stiff and 120’s in Regular flex but now the numbers are going backwards.
We also tried different lengths of certain shafts. Once we picked a shaft, he checked my lie angle by putting a line on a ball and have me hit it 3 different time.

He said that with my aggressive swing, I need a heavier shaft to handle my transition. Mark also said that getting a shaft to match my swing was the key to my success.

Also I have a plus AOA on my Irons, so he said I’m a “Picker” which I’am. Said that a wide soled irons would be better for me. Mark told me that if I get these shafts put in, I might want to think about adding a 5 & 6 iron to my bag because I’m going to gain distance

Told me not to change my wedge shafts because they are working.
When we were done we reviewed the results and I received this email.

View attachment 8993813

View attachment 8993815
View attachment 8993816
No pressure to get them done by them.
Overall it was great experience and one that I would recommend.

I asked about getting the Trackman read outs but was told that is not part of the fitting. I did notice that he did bring down my spin by quite a bit.

BTW: I find out later the I was hitting a Mizuno HMP 6i. Never would have thought that I could have handled that iron.

I am a couple of days late on this, but I really enjoyed this write-up. Even more so because of the HF1 and T400 irons you had mentioned haha
I think it's awesome. I know you enjoyed the T400 a bit last season. Sounds like if you get those Modus 105's in there they will become even more of a weapon for you. Are your shafts usually 1/2" long or was that a change during the fiitng as well. I know you mentioned that you tinkered with shaft lengths. BTW you are now the 2nd person in a week that I know of that has been fit into Modus 105R, joining the likes of @sposey013168

I am a couple of days late on this, but I really enjoyed this write-up. Even more so because of the HF1 and T400 irons you had mentioned haha
I think it's awesome. I know you enjoyed the T400 a bit last season. Sounds like if you get those Modus 105's in there they will become even more of a weapon for you. Are your shafts usually 1/2" long or was that a change during the fittng as well. I know you mentioned that you tinkered with shaft lengths. BTW you are now the 2nd person in a week that I know of that has been fit into Modus 105R, joining the likes of @sposey013168
Thanks for the note - I'm trying to start these threads as a personal growth to be a more "Descriptive Writer" It's not really a strength off mine ( Neither is Spelling, TG for Spell Check). I was actually fit at the PGATSS as 1/2" long and is not the first time I've been fit that way. It's interesting you bring that up because I was given a shaft during my fitting that was long, how much I don't know however I immediately started to hit behind the ball. 4 swings and that part of the test was over.

The fitter was so adamant that lighter shafts are not for me. He said if we lined up 10 golfers, I'd be the last one for the Zelos line. He started to describe my swing as I do "Violent"
  1. using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    Couldn't describe me more accurately. Told him I had to swing hard on the pure chance I make good contact.
I actually have a Iron Fitting set up at Club Champion on Tuesday the 23rd. This will give me a chance to hit the actual combo as Club Champion has both components in their testing bay. I'll also try other 105 shafts and other heads as well now that I know I can hit Mizuno HMP irons (Hey, Never hurts to look around as Ferris Buehler would say).

I emailed my guy at CC and told him I had the test results and was torn between sending it to him to save me some strokes at the fitting vs. "Clouding" his Fitting thought process.
I respect him and I didn't want to mess him up. He choose to take the info from the fitting.

Last edited:
Went to Club Champion last night and hit the T400 6i with the Modus 105 Stiff (didn’t have the regular flex) Also hit my 7i with the AMT Red. Really happy with the results and think I can gain even more yardage with the correct flex. The Nippon Shaft Testing got it right!:
A05AC833-4CF9-455C-9497-BEAF113A7523.jpeg4EFA116A-7CE8-4D2E-B627-20EA90B1CA88.jpeg

Last edited:
Put in an order with Club Champion to have the Modus 105R put in to my T400 irons and ordered a 6i to go along with it.

Put in an order with Club Champion to have the Modus 105R put in to my T400 irons and ordered a 6i to go along with it.

Awesome man, I think you're gonna love them. Great shafts and you know CC will get everything perfect.

I'm glad you found something that is awesome for you.

You went it and got definitive information that will make your golf much better and enjoyable.
This is cool, very.

Got my irons re-shafted with the recommended Modus Tour 105 Regular Flex shafts and tested them out at Club Champion
Top is 7i with new shaft:

B36A6ED1-9F95-4D6E-A2C9-FEE80AF030EB.jpeg

Congrats. Those are some nice gains. Glad the Modus are working for you. Not to hijack your thread, but I went to Shaftology last week and was fit into Modus 105 S. I have a set incoming

Congrats. Those are some nice gains. Glad the Modus are working for you. Not to hijack your thread, but I went to Shaftology last week and was fit into Modus 105 S. I have a set incoming
Nice - Hope you had a great experience.

Got my irons re-shafted with the recommended Modus Tour 105 Regular Flex shafts and tested them out at Club Champion
Top is 7i with new shaft:

View attachment 8999587

👀 That is significant man. Good for you. Hope that conveys to the course. Always nice to be able to grab one less club.

Back