If Drew Brees stayed a Charger?

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I still remember back in 2003/04 when Philip Rivers was the new hot thing in the San Diego locker room and everyone was just waiting for the somewhat of a bust Drew Brees to lose the job to Rivers. Of course Brees went on to a great '04 season and the pro bowl, but it always seemed like the San Diego fans looked at him as a bust and a disappointment.

Now looking over the last 15 years, Philip Rivers has certainly been good, but Brees became an absolute superstar and first ballot hall of famer and no doubt one of the best QBs to play in the first 20 years of the 21st century.

Let's say that Brees resigned at a Charger. Two hypothetical questions:
  • Would Brees have accomplished as much as he as today?
  • Would the Chargers be much more successful and maybe have stayed in San Diego?

Think about this. The Chargers and Falcons traded back in 2001.

Chargers gave up 1st pick and in return, got the 5th pick and then a 3rd rounder, still keeping their 1st pick in round 2.
The Falcons selected Lamar Jackson Mike Vick, who was amazing for a few years and we know how that finished up.
The Chargers selected L. Tomlinson with the 5th pick and Drew Brees with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

Think about this. The Chargers and Falcons traded back in 2001.

Chargers gave up 1st pick and in return, got the 5th pick and then a 3rd rounder, still keeping their 1st pick in round 2.
The Falcons selected Lamar Jackson Mike Vick, who was amazing for a few years and we know how that finished up.
The Chargers selected L. Tomlinson with the 5th pick and Drew Brees with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.
Dang! I totally forgot about that.

I love theoretical situations. Imagine if that all make Mike Vick one of the all time QBs and Drew Brees the one in jail for dog fighting???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Much as it pains me to say it, Brees and Sean Payton were the right fit at the right time in the right place.

I just wish Saban and the Dolphins had known what they were doing in 2005. It has been near unbearable living in a division rival's market for the last 15 falls.

Last edited:
Just think if Nick Saban would have picked him up in Miami when SD was trading him? Would Brees/Saban have been even better than Sean Payton?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Brees and Payton go together like Brady and Belichick. You can talk about how they would be apart but they would not be as successful as when they were together.

Yea I don't think Brees does anywhere close to what he has done in NO in San Diego. Which is funny, because wasn't NO terrible before Brees? I just think everything aligned at the right time for them.

I don't think he accomplishes anywhere near what he has with the Saints. He has played much better indoors than outdoors, and with the Saints he plays a minimum of 9 games a year in a Dome. That is not the case with the Chargers and the AFC West.

I don't think he accomplishes anywhere near what he has with the Saints. He has played much better indoors than outdoors, and with the Saints he plays a minimum of 9 games a year in a Dome. That is not the case with the Chargers and the AFC West.

Yeah I don’t think Brees does the same with the Chargers. I love the Chargers but Spanos (the owner) is just terrible. Doesn’t care for his players or put them in situations for success.

I just wish Saban and the Dolphins had known what they were doing in 2005. It has been near unbearable living in a division rival's market for the last 15 falls.

From what I remember, Saban picked Culpepper over Brees... and that's why we hate him here in Miami

I do not think he would have been as successful. No Sean Payton. SD\LA Chargers are on their 4 coach. And yes with Brees they would still be in SD. Good thing the left, because I like my ring.

Attachments

• Ring w- Drew.jpg
    Ring w- Drew.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
As a Saints fan I am very glad things turned out as they did!

I cant wait to be in the Superdome on Sunday to watch my Saints and Drew Brees!

I do not think he would have been as successful. No Sean Payton. SD\LA Chargers are on their 4 coach. And yes with Brees they would still be in SD. Good think the left, because I like my ring.

My man Jeff!

I really doubt he would have been as successful in San Diego as he has been with the Saints, but I am very sure he would have been way more successful with San Diego than Rivers.

I still remember back in 2003/04 when Philip Rivers was the new hot thing in the San Diego locker room and everyone was just waiting for the somewhat of a bust Drew Brees to lose the job to Rivers. Of course Brees went on to a great '04 season and the pro bowl, but it always seemed like the San Diego fans looked at him as a bust and a disappointment.

Now looking over the last 15 years, Philip Rivers has certainly been good, but Brees became an absolute superstar and first ballot hall of famer and no doubt one of the best QBs to play in the first 20 years of the 21st century.

• Would the Chargers be much more successful and maybe have stayed in San Diego?
No Brees would not be Breesus and the chargers would still suck

AJ Smith ruined the chargers and wasted LTs prime

Brees and Payton go together like Brady and Belichick. You can talk about how they would be apart but they would not be as successful as when they were together.
Absolutely agree with this.

I do not think he would have been as successful. No Sean Payton. SD\LA Chargers are on their 4 coach. And yes with Brees they would still be in SD. Good thing the left, because I like my ring.

Nice! Not many people can flash a Super Bowl ring.

Heyyyy! How about coming the work for the Browns! I hear they're looking for a few good men.

Who would have drafted Rivers if Brees stayed?

Remember when San Antonio tried to steal he Saints?

I don’t think that The Saints would still be in New Orleans, if Drew Brees wouldn’t have been signed after Katrina, and The Saints got really good.

Also, is Nick Saban still with the Dolphins and not at Alabama, if he would have signed Brees instead of Dante Culpepper?

How many Championships would LSU have won without Saban at Alabama (at least 2 more probably)?... The Brees What If’s are crazy to think about...

Back