if i'm playing, i'm not buying....

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
as with any hobby I have/had, if i'm actually doing/playing/participating, I don't buy much after my initial buy-in(s)…is it that way for everyone else? the only thing that's killing me now are putters 😑

as with any hobby I have/had, if i'm actually doing/playing/participating, I don't buy much after my initial buy-in(s)…is it that way for everyone else? the only thing that's killing me now are putters 😑
No, my investment is year long. Whether it's clothing, balls, changing up the bag, etc. Even in the "off-season" I'm making golf related purchases.

Heck no I can change aspects of my bag as fast as most people change clothes if money allow.

I don't think I've ever bought anything while I was playing. Now, don't get me started talking about my purchases BETWEEN rounds... :eek::geek:🤡

Nope. For a long time, I spent much more money buying clubs than I did on greens fees. Half of the fun is trying out different clubs. Then you have the vintage club side of the game when you can get so many cool, old clubs for dirt cheap but next thing you know, youve spent hundreds of dollars on old clubs.

Don't think I will need anything but golf balls this year.

lol.....im always playing....and always buying

Once I buy clubs I tend to stick with them for a long time - if I'm happy with what I have, I'm not particularly interested in trying other clubs. But I still buy balls, clothing, accessories, training aids, etc.

Same here. I'm really happy with my set up.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with my setup, too. It's just that when I look at my M5, I think SIM. When I look at my Epic Flash, I think. Well, I think, wow, I'm happy with my Epic Flash. When I look at my M4 5wd, I think, M6 or SIM 5wd. When I look at my Srixon irons, I think, Hmm... I might want to reshaft. When I look at my SM6 wedges, I think RTX4. When I look at my SL Marxman, I think Triple Track SL Marxman.

I know, I'm addicted.o_O

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with my setup, too. It's just that when I look at my M5, I think SIM. When I look at my Epic Flash, I think. Well, I think, wow, I'm happy with my Epic Flash. When I look at my M4 5wd, I think, M6 or SIM 5wd. When I look at my Srixon irons, I think, Hmm... I might want to reshaft. When I look at my SM6 wedges, I think RTX4. When I look at my SL Marxman, I think Triple Track SL Marxman.

I know, I'm addicted.o_O

for a while, I was thinking like that as well...but since I've started to play with a bit more consistency, the urge to buy more drivers has waned...finding good putters for cheap prices still derails me but i'm not looking for "magic" clubs anymore...a 52 degree wedge (CBX2) is probably in order, tho 😑...I do need to re-shaft my 5W, tho.

I will admit that I've gone online and bought a new shaft after the 1st hole before. Mostly out of confirmed suspicion.

When I started I bought new release gear too often.
Then when I started playing more, and getting better, I switched to buying more year-old/used stuff.
Now that I play a bit less, but play better, I haven't been buying anything, except for the odd used addition here or there.

Next purchases will be stuff I am fitted for, and will be in the bag for a while.

I've been on the look out for new clubs all the time since what I had needed replacing and now that I've made some recent club purchases, I think I'm good for the rest of the year and on for equipment. Now golf clothing and such is a whole other story. I will always be buying

I won’t buy any clubs this year or next year probably. I might buy a putter or two, but not other clubs. Shoes this month. Balls throughout. That’s it.

There always seems to be something around the next corner that will catch my eye and then it is pondering time again. Although I think that I'm pretty well set for the coming year. Just don't know when I finally be able to get out and play what with the way things are in the world right now.

I've been trying my best not to buy anything this year. I'll probably grab a new set of irons in June or July, and maybe a new driver head.

I've only purchased about 10 putters (only 4 were for me.) If I can keep it to that number per quarter I'll consider myself good.
This sounds a bit like a successful year of "not buying" anything for me too 😂.

I am finally completely happy and satisfied with my bag makeup, so I'll likely not be buying any clubs for a long time. Most of my golf money this year is likely to be balls and apparel, but probably not too much of that once I settle on a ball I like.

My bag setup is still pretty good, and it’s working for me, I may experiment with a putter, but I don’t actually think I will. Most of my frivolous golf money now is going to clothes, but I’m just about set there.

My annual investment tends to "spike" at different times of the year. Around end of January/mid-Feb when PGA Merch show is over, most of the reviews are in and I can determine what I want to buy for the year. There is a spike again generally in April/May for clothing and balls and in the late fall for when prices start coming down.

I try to limit the damage by giving myself a total golf budget itemized for hardware, software, and rounds

For the most part, when the weather is nice and it's easy to get out and play and practice I ponder and tinker much less. I'm focused on where can we play next, who'd be a good teamate in this event, fine tuning my game etc... I'm at my worst when I can't get out though. Full on ponder, testing, and buying...and more buying. THP definitely fuels my addiction. It's like there's two seasons; golfing season and golf buying season.

Ignoring consumables like gloves, balls, tees... I will normally game clubs/bag for 3-5 years before replacing. I love the new shiny as much as the next golfer, but I just dont feel the need to change. I also don't allow my brain to blame the club when I know for a fact its my skills that are lacking.

Back