If No One Cared, Would You Go Back to Non-conforming Wedges?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Boredom has got me thinking about old commercials for clubs I would see in the days of yore. Different grooves, and face patterns to drastically increase spin - sure a lot of those were gimmicky As Seen on TV things, but wedges have definitely been dialed back as of recently.

So, if no one cared, and you found a NOS set of old wedges, would you play them? Do you think they would improve your game?

I would game them. I can’t spin a wedge well at all and could use all the help I can get. I’m thinking of getting a set now. I don’t play any competitive golf, so no harm no foul.

No way - OEMs have caught up - give me a Vokey and a ProV1x, for example, and it will spin more than I want, and ball stops too soon on chips and pitches in and around the green. All that means is that I need to work on my short game. And I've been doing that ...

No way - OEMs have caught up - give me a Vokey and a ProV1x, for example, and it will spin more than I want, and ball stops to soon. All that means is that I need to work on my short game.
Interesting point. I sometimes feel I put a bit too much spin on the ball (if I knew how to control it it would be different) but I wonder how much MORE would occur with an old wedge and a new ball.

I’m not a pro caliber player with a wedge so I can’t say they’d help. I mean what am I going to do with it..

No way - OEMs have caught up - give me a Vokey and a ProV1x, for example, and it will spin more than I want, and ball stops too soon on chips and pitches in and around the green. All that means is that I need to work on my short game. And I've been doing that ...

I felt the same way at my last club in CA but how things have changed. Your greens are much more receptive and slower than the ones at my new club. I’m a high spin player and often need way more spin than I can produce around many green side shots and so does every other golfer at our club.
The good news is the spin problem doesn’t exist at most any other course I play and in a few years I will move to a different club.

I think the new grooves with micro milling are grippier than anything older, I am pretty content with conforming grooves. Not sure there would be any spin benefit.

Boredom has got me thinking about old commercials for clubs I would see in the days of yore. Different grooves, and face patterns to drastically increase spin - sure a lot of those were gimmicky As Seen on TV things, but wedges have definitely been dialed back as of recently.

So, if no one cared, and you found a NOS set of old wedges, would you play them? Do you think they would improve your game?

I wouldn't play them. Won't play a non-conforming driver. Won't use any other non-conforming clubs. Won't, knowingly, flaunt other rules. Why would I want to overlook one?

If I could find a Mint set of Xforged raw, I would right now.

I always love the holier than thou take though on this topic. Have fun, that’s the point of the game.

I always love the holier than thou take though on this topic. Have fun, that’s the point of the game.
I wouldn’t call it a holier than thou per say. I think some like to play by the rules and regulations as written and if that makes them happy and they have fun that way, go for it. I play to have fun. I will never be a tour player so I don’t care if I’m playing something the rules say they can’t. Wether it’s some nonconforming Indi wedges, a Krank driver, one of those fly straight balls, or even a pair of underwear that holds my junk slightly to the left.

I honestly don’t think I’d notice a difference, so no, I wouldn’t bother.

I wouldn’t call it a holier than thou per say. I think some like to play by the rules and regulations as written and if that makes them happy and they have fun that way, go for it. I play to have fun. I will never be a tour player so I don’t care if I’m playing something the rules say they can’t. Wether it’s some nonconforming Indi wedges, a Krank driver, one of those fly straight balls, or even a pair of underwear that holds my junk slightly to the left.
My comment was directed to those more worried about what and how others play instead of just focusing on and enjoying their own selected path. We have a few who spend more time judging others than anything else. ;)

I think I kind of missed the whole 'they took our wedges away!' thing, so I can't say that I would, or would want to play non-conforming ones. I can spin wedges at pretty high numbers as is, and I'd consider a ball switch first if I needed more. Now if you were talking an old groove thing on something now that let you play some of the beastly ball speeds and launch irons out there now, while increasing their spin.. that I want some play time with. I don't know if that's even possible though.

I felt the same way at my last club in CA but how things have changed. Your greens are much more receptive and slower than the ones at my new club. I’m a high spin player and often need way more spin than I can produce around many green side shots and so does every other golfer at our club.
The good news is the spin problem doesn’t exist at most any other course I play and in a few years I will move to a different club.

When that happens, I move to a 60-62 loft and mimic Phil's chipping and pitching setup.

How many of those people are the same that will sneak on to the course after the gov't declares courses a non-essential business? Not trying to pick a fight. Just curious.

Exactly. Some people here like to preach "have fun", but when others say what makes the game fun for them, they belittle them... indirectly because they're too timid.

Back