If our best Women athletes played Golf would they dominate!

If best U.S women athletes played golf...would they dominate the LPGA tour?

• Yes

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

NoGoal

Is it really the Indian?
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know for the most part the Asian women are dominating the LPGA tour.

Do you think, if our best women athletes played youth girls golf, instead of the more common team sports. Would they dominate the LPGA tour?

Having a daughter who plays women D1 soccer. Watching uber athletic 5’7”-5’9” U.S. women soccer players. My buddy and I always ask why are these girls playing soccer, instead of golf where they can make a lot more money than pro women’s soccer.

Mostly Tour level golf is about commitment to learning and practicing.

Huh. I never really thought of it like that. I suppose you could make a case for that so I will say yes.

Interesting question but the answer isn’t simple. Golf requires more than just athleticism.

Mostly Tour level golf is about commitment to learning and practicing.
Tiger stated something early in his career. The next generation golfers will be better than him. Players who will be able to drive the ball well past 300 yards on average, the athletes.

So why wouldn’t his statement apply to our best women athletes who are not playing golf?

To play nice with the thread, if *the best athletes* played a certain sport, the US would be the best at that sport. The reality is, how/where the kid is raised, what the parents participated in, the socioeconomic resources of the family, probably a bunch more play a role.

But, if the best athletes decided to learn the skills required to be great golfers, they could probably have been very good players.

We all know for the most part the Asian women are dominating the LPGA tour.

Do you think, if our best women athletes played youth girls golf, instead of the more common team sports. Would they dominate the LPGA tour?

Having a daughter who plays women D1 soccer. Watching uber athletic 5’7”-5’9” U.S. women soccer players. My buddy and I always ask why are these girls playing soccer, instead of golf where they can make a lot more money than pro women’s soccer.

Golf is a game more than a sport and at the highest level is more mental. Great athletic skills are not required for golf.

Like other female sports other than tennis, there isn’t much money in LPGA golf. The 100th ranked player makes only about $100k which is 1/10th what the men make. Only about the top 40 women make a decent living and imagine having to be the top 40 in the world at any profession. As a comparison there are 1,900 NFL players and they aren’t competing for a job with the rest of the world.

I agree if super athletes commit them selves we’ll see top ranking women golfer in US.
But this statement goes for all the world athletes.
It’s all about facilities and exposures that makes young girls wants to participate.

Seriously how many public high school that have legit golf programs or can school afford it.
Big , fast and strong does not make them a good golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf is a game more than a sport and at the highest level is more mental. Great athletic skills are not required for golf.

Like other female sports other than tennis, there isn’t much money in LPGA golf. The 100th ranked player makes only about $100k which is 1/10th what the men make. Only about the top 40 women make a decent living and imagine having to be the top 40 in the world at any profession. As a comparison there are 1,900 NFL players and they aren’t competing for a job with the rest of the world.
You have to compare apples to apples. The 100th ranked player in the LPGA money list makes more than a NWSL (women pro soccer player). The low salary is 20K a year and the max is 50k a year. So yes, LPGA players make a lot more money. Im sure it’s similar to Women Volleyball and Softball, if there is a pro women’s softball league.

Last edited:
I agree if super athletes commit them selves we’ll see top ranking women golfer in US.
But this statement goes for all the world athletes.
It’s all about facilities and exposures that makes young girls wants to participate.

Seriously how many public high school that have legit golf programs or can school afford it.
Big , fast and strong does not make them a good golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But big fast and strong player starting at a young age would have developed their short game skill with the ability of being able to drive it far as Nelly and Jessica Korda. Both of their parents where professional tennis athletes.

Here is my take on this one,
The top athletes in their sports are there because the excel at what they do. If they wanted to transfer over to play golf professionally it would be maybe 1% of them that could do it.
The big thing that holds most back is hand eye coordination. If you don't have great hand eye coordination I don't think you could compete at the pro level of golf.

The top athletes in their sports are there because the excel at what they do. If they wanted to transfer over to play golf professionally it would be maybe 1% of them that could do it.
The big thing that holds most back is hand eye coordination. If you don't have great hand eye coordination I don't think you could compete at the pro level of golf.
There are zero top level "bat & ball" athletes with bad hand eye coordination. If any baseball/hockey/tennis/squash player etc wanted to take up golf, they would be very good disgustingly quickly.

I say no. A high athletic ability level in one sport does not necessarily translate to the same level in other sports. They likely achieved those levels in their chosen sport through many years of training, practice and commitment.

You have to compare apples to apples. The 100th ranked player in the LPGA money list makes more than a WPSL (women pro soccer player). The low salary is 20K a year and the max is 50k a year. So yes, LPGA players make a lot more money. Im sure it’s similar to Women Volleyball and Softball, if there is a pro women’s softball league.

But there are a lot more than 100 WPSL players right? That 100th ranked LPGA player also has to pay her caddie, hotel, and travel costs where as other pro female athletes don’t. The 100th ranked LPGA player might take home about $30k after taxes and expenses.

Tiger stated something early in his career. The next generation golfers will be better than him. Players who will be able to drive the ball well past 300 yards on average, the athletes.

So why wouldn’t his statement apply to our best women athletes who are not playing golf?

If a woman is committed to spending the time it takes to learn and practice, then absolutely she can be the best.
The problem is that few women (or men) are committed to doing the learning and practice work.

So would you say, the best youth softball players (eye hand coordination) or best youth girls soccer players (eye feet coordination which is arguably harder than eye hand) have been excellent women golfers?

There are zero top level "bat & ball" athletes with bad hand eye coordination. If any baseball/hockey/tennis/squash player etc wanted to take up golf, they would be very good disgustingly quickly.
They may be able to get quick good, but not pro level golfers. Very different from being very good and pro level.

So would you say, the best youth softball players (eye hand coordination) or best youth girls soccer players (eye feet coordination which is arguably harder than eye hand) have been excellent women golfers?
I don't know of any women that have come from the background are suggesting if that is what you are referring to. Not sure I am understanding what you are asking, but hope I answered.

But there are a lot more than 100 WPSL players right? That 100th ranked LPGA player also has to pay her caddie, hotel, and travel costs where as other pro female athletes don’t. The 100th ranked LPGA player might take home about $30k after taxes and expenses.
Not really there is only 9 NWSL teams and roster of 20-22 players. The vast majority of NWSL players only make 20K a year. Trust me LPGA players make more than NWSL players.

The next question is why are U.S parents having their kids play team sports where there average player lives in poverty. Yet our Asian country counterparts have their girls playing golf? I say, it’s because they know there is money to he made in prize money and endorsements.

They may be able to get quick good, but not pro level golfers. Very different from being very good and pro level.
If they played golf instead of those team sports at a young age. I say they would excel at golf as they do in those sports.

I don't know of any women that have come from the background are suggesting if that is what you are referring to. Not sure I am understanding what you are asking, but hope I answered.
Im asking if our best womens soccer, softball, volleyball players played golf instead of their current sport at a young age. Would they dominate the LPGA tour?

Im asking if our best womens soccer, softball, volleyball players played golf instead of their current sport at a young age. Would they dominate the LPGA tour?

Yes,. but the point you seem to be missing is the time commitment required to learn and practice for Tour level golf. It's easily 3X or 4X more time required to be at the highest skill level golf compared to the highest skill level of soccer, softball, volleyball etc....

Back