If our best Women athletes played Golf would they dominate!

If best U.S women athletes played golf...would they dominate the LPGA tour?

• Yes

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
I don't know if they would dominate, but they'd certainly be part of the domination. I think there's a LOT in youth sport popularity and development. Se Ri Pak was the only Korean on LPGA tour when she came on to the scene in '98. I'm Korean and I was living in Korea at the time as a kid. Her success in the LPGA and her winning US Women's Open meant so much to the country that was going through a devastating financial crisis that some people actually say (of course a bit of hyperbole here) that she lifted the country's spirits to make it through that time. All of a sudden, golf was on the map for Korea, especially Korean women. Now look at what Koreans are doing in the LPGA and have been for some time. Even several players representing the US are Korean-Americans.

I just use this as an example because if you look at USWNT's continued success in international soccer and the popularity of soccer in girls' youth sports, there's definitely correlation.

I'm a huuuge proponent of the game of golf becoming more accessible and some of the stigma coming off the game for many reasons. One of them is definitely that if it were more popular here and more women played... let's just say there's probably a lot of world class talents who don't even realize it.

Also reminds me - I don't know much about what it's like in the US for female amateurs who play in lower tournaments and q school and what not... but I recently heard a podcast where they were talking to a female golfer from Europe and she was talking about how difficult it is to make it as a female golfer compared to male in terms of sponsorships available. Then, I remember seeing something (I believe on Erik Anders Lang YouTube channel) where there was an American born female player of Japanese descent that decided to turn pro and go to Japan despite not knowing the language or anything (partially for this reason, wanting to retrace her steps) but because there's so much more available. She was already sponsored there which she couldn't imagine in the US. She spoke of how in Japan, Women's golf is "the" golf that's followed. Then it starts to make sense how players like Nasa Hataoka could happen. Of course, not discounting the phenomenal talents of the players who are at the top now. But they all benefited from an environment that helped develop their talents into skills.

I personally hope we see more of that across the world for women AND men. I'm always trying to tell people despite what they might think, you don't have to have 6 figure memberships to country clubs or $3000 for a set of clubs to play golf. My very first time golfing, I picked up a club from Goodwill for $1.50 with a friend and went to the driving range. When I wanted a set, I picked up a $200 beginner set and hit them for 8 years. Then I sold them to move cross country and when I got back to golf recently, I spent about $250 all in for set of used stuff. They're not the "newest" and the "greatest" but they're just fine for me and you can see in my signature below, I have all brand name stuff that when they came out 8-12 years ago, all cost hundreds of dollars.

So yes - I believe there are some world class talents out there that are not being developed. And I believe a major part of the problem is simply lack of popularity and I believe the root cause is it has the stigma that it is a boring, rich, old people activity.

Tough question to answer, but I think not. They'd be playing against other countries' best athletes also.

Golf is not to be dominated by an ethnicity. I don’t see it as dominated by Asian women now. They may be 1 an 2 but there are several Americans climbing the list. Golf is tough to stay on the top.

Golf is not to be dominated by an ethnicity. I don’t see it as dominated by Asian women now. They may be 1 an 2 but there are several Americans climbing the list. Golf is tough to stay on the top.

Jan Stephenson disagrees. :LOL:

Babe Didrickson Zaharias was an Olympic champion prior to taking up golf. She picked up the game and became a dominant golfer on the LPGA Tour before dying from cancer. Her athleticism allowed her to drive the ball longer than many of her competitors.

There are zero top level "bat & ball" athletes with bad hand eye coordination. If any baseball/hockey/tennis/squash player etc wanted to take up golf, they would be very good disgustingly quickly.

I guess you haven't seen the "golf swing" of Charles Barkley. Golf is different, it takes practice, focus, and determination. Think Kobe Bryant

Jan Stephenson disagrees. :LOL:
Yeah, she is way older then me so I never heard of hear. I’m referring to modern day golf where I believe it is much more competitive.

I guess you haven't seen the "golf swing" of Charles Barkley. Golf is different, it takes practice, focus, and determination. Think Kobe Bryant
What "bat & ball" sport did Charles Barkley play? I can only think of the basketball player. Was there a baseball player named Charles Barkley I am forgetting?

Maybe. IMO, the problem here in the US is that we dont have the grassroots youth golf programs for girls like they do in Korea.

Back