If our best Women athletes played Golf would they dominate!

If best U.S women athletes played golf...would they dominate the LPGA tour?

• Yes

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
Not really there is only 9 NWSL teams and roster of 20-22 players. The vast majority of NWSL players only make 20K a year. Trust me LPGA players make more than NWSL players.

The next question is why are U.S parents having their kids play team sports where there average player lives in poverty. Yet our Asian country counterparts have their girls playing golf? I say, it’s because they know there is money to he made in prize money and endorsements.

I don’t think any reasonable parent raises their kid with the expectation that they will make a living as a professional athlete. With 160 million taxpayers in the U.S. only about five thousand are pro athletes. If your kid is female it’s even more ludicrous to set that expectation. My daughters best friend is likely the best female high school hockey goalie in the country and she already knows that her career will be outside of hockey. At least her Ivy League college degree will be paid for by a scholarship.

Yes,. but the point you seem to be missing is the time commitment required to learn and practice for Tour level golf. It's easily 3X or 4X more time required to be at the highest skill level golf compared to the highest skill level of soccer, softball, volleyball etc....
I don’t know about that. My daughter invested 2 hours a day 4 days a week in soccer practice and personal training. Then another 1-2 hours practicing on her own. Then 1-2 soccer games a week. Those are a lot of practice hours where she could have hot range balls, practice putting, short game and playing as well.

Im asking if our best womens soccer, softball, volleyball players played golf instead of their current sport at a young age. Would they dominate the LPGA tour?

Golf at the highest level is mostly mental, it’s not like other sports where you are reacting to a moving ball. It’s tough to explain unless you’ve played competitive golf at least at the college level but it’s a rare person than has the mental makeup for tournament golf at a high level. If it was mostly about athleticism, your question might make more sense. So many of the best professional athletes like Jordan would like nothing better than to play on the Champions Tour or at that level but even with all his money, dedication, and freakish athletic skills that allowed him to play other sports like baseball at the highest levels, he’s not even in the top 500,000 golfers in the U.S.

I don’t think any reasonable parent raises their kid with the expectation that they will make a living as a professional athlete. With 160 million taxpayers in the U.S. only about five thousand are pro athletes. If your kid is female it’s even more ludicrous to set that expectation. My daughters best friend is likely the best female high school hockey goalie in the country and she already knows that her career will be outside of hockey. At least her Ivy League college degree will be paid for by a scholarship.
Well I agree it’s the same as a pro women soccer player. I know the parent of the just drafted #4 pick NWSL player. She was a stud at a young age playing softball too. I have no doubt, if she played golf at a young age instead of soccer. She would have excel at it also. The catch is she would have made more as a LPGA player instead of a NWSL player.

Golf at the highest level is mostly mental, it’s not like other sports where you are reacting to a moving ball. It’s tough to explain unless you’ve played competitive golf at least at the college level but it’s a rare person than has the mental makeup for tournament golf at a high level. If it was mostly about athleticism, your question might make more sense. So many of the best professional athletes like Jordan would like nothing better than to play on the Champions Tour or at that level but even with all his money, dedication, and freakish athletic skills that allowed him to play other sports like baseball at the highest levels, he’s not even in the top 500,000 golfers in the U.S.
How would you know MJ wouldn’t have been a great golfer, if he never dedicated his youth playing it like he did basketball. MJ of all people probably has the same mental focus as Tiger does.

I don’t know about that. My daughter invested 2 hours a day 4 days a week in soccer practice and personal training. Then another 1-2 hours practicing on her own. Then 1-2 soccer games a week. Those are a lot of practice hours where she could have hot range balls, practice putting, short game and playing as well.

I invested 6 plus hours a day 6 days a week with golf as a teenager and was a mediocre college golfer at best.
How would you know MJ wouldn’t have been a great golfer, if he never dedicated his youth playing it like he did basketball. MJ of all people probably has the same mental focus as Tiger does.

He’s been hard at it since his 20’s and is still relatively crappy. Larry Nelson started at age 21 and won two PGA Championships and a US Open. The mental fortitude required for golf at the highest level is different than other sports. MJ would love to be a plus handicapper but he doesn’t have “it”. Again, golf is more of a game than a sport and success at the highest level is mostly mental.

Im kind of surprised a lot of posters don’t think if our best women athletes played golf at a young age instead of their team sports. The U.S. wouldn’t be dominating the LPGA tour. That a smaller country like South Korea just has better women golfers. I don’t believe it. If that was the case the South Korean Men would be dominating the PGA tour.

I invested 6 plus hours a day 6 days a week with golf as a teenager and was a mediocre college golfer at best.

He’s been hard at it since his 20’s and is still relatively crappy. Larry Nelson started at age 21 and won two PGA Championships and a US Open. The mental fortitude required for golf at the highest level is different than other sports. MJ would love to be a plus handicapper but he doesn’t have “it”.

MJ in his 20’s wasn’t dedicating his time to golf like Larry Nelson was. MJ was becoming arguably the GOAT in basketball.

You invested it as a teenager. Im posting about starting golf at early elementary school. At a younger age the player will have many more years compounding their development of the game.

I think the 'if' in all of this is that these best athletes aren't known at a young age.... MJ was cut from his HS team.... it would take a system wide commitment to girls youth golf to develop this potential .... then it would take a dedicated, committed young lady to become a great golfer... so maybe

This is another reason why our best youth girl athletes are NOT playing golf. If you read the bio’s for D1 women golf roster a lot of players are from Asia. Yes they are being recruited from outside the USA.

NO, Just look at men..Do they...NO

NO, Just look at men..Do they...NO
Not sure what your post is replying to? Are you saying are US mens golfers don’t dominate the PGA Tour? I say they do, more US players winning than any other country PGA Tour.

If they took up the game when they were 10 - 12 yrs old, yes. That's how old you should be when you take up this game. 10 - 12 if you want to be any good. And get lessons, have no friends, and hit 1000 balls a day after school.

Yes,. but the point you seem to be missing is the time commitment required to learn and practice for Tour level golf. It's easily 3X or 4X more time required to be at the highest skill level golf compared to the highest skill level of soccer, softball, volleyball etc....
You really think so? My daughter told me the women golfers at her university train and practice as much as her women’s soccer team.

Did Ricky Fowler age 31 play more youth golf than a 31 year old Russell Westbrook playing youth basketball. IDK?

Sounds like some here think golf is a harder sport than soccer, softball, volleyball,hockey, etc. Especially, saying it takes more time to get good at.

I say the Outliers book’s 10,000 hour rule can be applied to all sports.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of Nelly and Jessica Korda type athletes playing collegiate women’s soccer.

Sounds like some here think golf is a harder sport than soccer, softball, volleyball,hockey, etc. Especially, saying it takes more time to get good at.

Emotions can be rewarded in soccer, softball, volleyball, hockey, basketball. If you're emotional in golf, the game can get brutal with its punishment. That's one of the big differences between these sports. And another thing that makes golf hard is that you have to execute the exact same shot motion for four hours in different situations. In the other sports you're reacting to things and there are a variety of motions. You'd think that would make golf easier. It doesn't.

I say no. A high athletic ability level in one sport does not necessarily translate to the same level in other sports. They likely achieved those levels in their chosen sport through many years of training, practice and commitment.
At a young age, athletes pick their sport based on the loved and enjoyment of that sport. It’s the #1 reason why my daughter and many of her former youth soccer teammates played soccer instead of golf. Not because she wasn’t good at golf, but after one range session...she said it was boring and she had no interest in it.

My buddy who I play golf with every Friday has 2 daughters who also play D1 collegiate womens soccer. He said, the same thing.....he wished they played golf instead. Knowing they would be great at it too, but to boring for them also.

Emotions can be rewarded in soccer, softball, volleyball, hockey, basketball. If you're emotional in golf, the game can get brutal with its punishment. That's one of the big differences between these sports. And another thing that makes golf hard is that you have to execute the exact same shot motion for four hours in different situations. In the other sports you're reacting to things and there are a variety of motions. You'd think that would make golf easier. It doesn't.
Do you think a Megan Rampinoe, Alex Morgan, Misty May, Keri Walsh, Jennie Finch elite type women athletes wouldn’t have been great women golfers? If they fell in love with golf, they would have dedicated themselves to the game as they did in their sport at a very young age?

They would have been great LPGA players.

Tell me none of these Pac12 women soccer players at Colorado or USC wouldn’t have been great collegiate golfers and some of them wouldn’t have made it to the LPGA?

And that is only 2 Power 5 soccer teams. There are easily 40 more Power 5 schools with these type of athletes. Club soccer is also a very expensive sport and the parents would have easily been able to afford the golf lessons and travel expense associated with it.

As I posted prior, I have seen many, many athletic women collegiate athletes built in the same mold as the successful Jessica and Nelly Korda. It’s why I post, if our most athletic women played golf at an early age instead of the sport they are in now. US women would dominate the LPGA tour.

Last edited:
Good athletes have some natural ability for sport that can make them good golfers but not many would be able to make it on the LPGA tour.

Not sure what your post is replying to? Are you saying are US mens golfers don’t dominate the PGA Tour? I say they do, more US players winning than any other country PGA Tour.
The best athletes whether women or men do not dominate golf. Those that take up the game young and learn the creative ways to feel around greens and score well dominate. There are many top athletes who try to compete in golf who fail miserably. Apply same view to women. And why as a reply is US input when it wasn't in the post. (n)

I don't know. Golf is a certain type of athleticism. It's kind of an ability to consistently repeat a motion and make very finely tuned adjustments to that motion without much thought. Kind of a hyper-coordination of movement combined with hyper-precision of movement. Most sports don't require the precision level that golf requires. It probably involves more precision than anything else in sports. It's almost like shooting free throws, except every free throw is from a different spot on the floor, the basket is at a different height, sometimes there are things blocking the basket , sometimes there aren't.

Do you think a Megan Rampinoe, Alex Morgan, Misty May, Keri Walsh, Jennie Finch elite type women athletes wouldn’t have been great women golfers? If they fell in love with golf, they would have dedicated themselves to the game as they did in their sport at a very young age?

They would have been great LPGA players.
Good athletes have some natural ability for sport that can make them good golfers but not many would be able to make it on the LPGA tour.
So explain to me how both Nelly and Jessica Korda made it to the LPGA coming from 2 athletic parents? Two for two, is it really that hard? Their parents gave them great youth coaches and they attendedthe sports school at the Brandenton Florida.

It's impossible to predict. There's so many factors other than athletic ability that come into play between all sports.

One major factor is passion for the game. You don't just pick a sport as a kid because it might make you the most money. It'll never stick unless you love the game you're playing.

The best athletes whether women or men do not dominate golf. Those that take up the game young and learn the creative ways to feel around greens and score well dominate. There are many top athletes who try to compete in golf who fail miserably. Apply same view to women. And why as a reply is US input when it wasn't in the post. (n)
Really US Mens don’t dominate golf and the PGA tour. Are you sure about that? We have 6 out of 10 (60%) in the top 10 ranking and have 20 in the top 50 (40%). If that isn’t dominant I don’t know what is.

As for the women, we can have only 3 in the top 10 and a meager 9 in the top 50. Where as South Korea (smaller country) has 4 in the top 10 (40%) and 22 in top 50 (44%).

USA Mens numbers reflects South Korean women and both dominate their tours.

Back