If They Moved The Masters

Simple question. If they moved "The Masters" out of Georgia, would it/should it........still be considered The Masters?

No.

I am aware of groups pressuring to "move" the Masters out of GA due to a recent situation there (that we can not discuss here because it is political, and I respect that because it will just become way too divisive - I am debating people about it on another non-golf forum right now).

No, absolutely not. The course is as much a part of the tournament (if not more so, as it is often listed as the "Best" course on the planet in "Best of" lists).

Playing the Masters on another course or outside of GA would be the equivalent of playing the (British) Open Championship in the United Arab Emirates.

It is just crazy talk.

The Augusta National committee aren’t exactly known for bowing to pressure over controversial issues. As this issue doesn’t even directly involve the club, they aren’t going to change the venue, and nor should they.

Uh, no. Sure, the PGA can take it off their schedule but ANGC can & will whatever they please, as they please.

I think as a society we need to quit being so f*cking soft. Like Bill Maher said a few weeks ago, you know who’s not offended about some of Dr Suess’s portrayals of Asians?

China, because they’re too busy actually getting things done

Augusta IS, though, starting to weaken, IMO. Lee Elder honorary tee off is another example of pandering where we never would have seen pandering in decades passed...

I would be shocked if some day the LPGA doesn't have a Ladies Masters at Augusta. I think I might just see it in my lifetime...(not that I would necessarily be opposed to that - it might actually be kind of cool).

Nope

It wouldn’t be the Masters but it’s never going to happen. It would be like moving Wimbledon to another venue except all tennis courts are flat and the same dimensions so it would be much easier :)

It would not be The Masters. It does have an uneasy place in the world as we hopefully improve on racial equality, gender issues etc. But it is one heck of a golf event.

Yeah, unrealistic question. Augusta National gives near zero sh*ts what the world outside of them does, so it's not moving.

From what I have read, a civil rights group is calling for the pga tour, and the masters organizers to pull event from Augusta National. Basically move it out of Georgia.

As for caving in, and actually moving it, it could still be a major, but shouldn't be called The Masters.
They pulled this BS several time, insinuating that "The Masters" name in the South had nefarious meaning. Much like when the "Feminists" tried to get them cancelled because there were no female members of ANGC.
It isn't going anywhere.

So, the cancel culture...which represents a small minority of the population...makes a suggestion to move the Masters and everyone is expected to hop to it?

If you moved the Masters, it would no longer be the Masters. Same as if you changed the venue of the ANA.

I'm not sure the disconnect. The PGA Tour does NOT host the Masters.
Augusta National Golf Club does. It is their tournament. There is nothing to move, nothing to cancel outside of the course choosing not host it.

The PGA Tour can choose not to participate, but that really has nothing to do with the Masters.
I have no idea how this works. If the PGA pulls out, could the tour players still participate or would it breech contact? Or any event, if it's not PGA sanctioned can the players still still be recognized as such? :unsure::unsure:

I have no idea how this works. If the PGA pulls out, could the tour players still participate or would it breech contact? Or any event, if it's not PGA sanctioned can the players still still be recognized as such? :unsure::unsure:

They really wouldn't have a choice, because they use the independent contractor aspect when it benefits them, so in this instance their isn't much they could do in my opinion.

Simple question. If they moved "The Masters" out of Georgia, would it/should it........still be considered The Masters?
Then it wouldn’t be the Masters and they’d be dumb, the PGA doesn’t run the event.

Are they playing it the same time of year? That would dictate where it could be.

The Masters isn't going anywhere. If you remember back a bunch of years a woman was protesting Augusta National because the didn't allow women. Sponsors started saying they were going to drop it. So what did they do, they cancelled all advertisements and started uninterrupted golf. The Masters is going nowhere.

I generally stay away from discussions that involve this type of nature. I just don’t see a reason to get involved since half are adamant about one side and likewise the other half to the opposite.

The Masters is run by Augusta National not the PGA, and I enjoy watching the beautiful course and it’s history each year. I don’t see this changing, so I will sit back and enjoy another year watching this year and put my name in hoping to hit the lottery for tickets next year.

I am surprised how little the majority of posters on this thread understand about Augusta National and The Masters.

MLB caved and moved the all-star game...yes not the masters. they also dumped all of the former presidents (not saying his name) courses for any PGA tourney's, yes not the masters BUT if the track record is there then who knows

MLB caved and moved the all-star game...yes not the masters. they also dumped all of the former presidents (not saying his name) courses for any PGA tourney's, yes not the masters BUT if the track record is there then who knows
The PGA Tour can do all of those things, they have control over them. They still do not run the Masters tournament.

Back