If They Moved The Masters

They are softening though. Lee Elder teeing off next week is a sign of that.

They also funded several scholarships in Lee Elder’s name for golf at Paine College, a historically Black college in Augusta. One of the scholarships was for a woman. There was no woman’s golf at the school so Augusta offered to fund the program.

They don’t need television or sponsors to conduct their annual Invitational.

Correct. Though I would be curious how and what it would look like if the Masters was just like what's up folks? We're just going digital this year. Nothing on TV. Find us on Masters.com, how bout dat?:ROFLMAO:

They also funded several scholarships in Lee Elder’s name for golf at Paine College, a historically Black college in Augusta. One of the scholarships was for a woman. There was no woman’s golf at the school so Augusta offered to fund the program.

That was the coolest announcement back in November. "Paine College doesn't have a Women's golf program. Until today. We're funding the entire thing." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? They literally just said blank check folks, we got it. Shoot your shot, it's on us. Unfreakinreal.

Correct. Though I would be curious how and what it would look like if the Masters was just like what's up folks? We're just going digital this year. Nothing on TV. Find us on Masters.com, how bout dat?:ROFLMAO:

We just know however they choose to broadcast, Gary McCord will not be involved 😆.

Simple question. If they moved "The Masters" out of Georgia, would it/should it........still be considered The Masters?

I’m not even sure that is legal for a golf fan to speak about?!?!?!?!?

NO, If they moved the Daytona 500 would it still be the Daytona 500? I think not.
I think Pro sports moving events out of GA is a over reaction and purely political.

MLB and the NBA are feeling the repercussions of alienating a lot of their fans I hope the PGA doesn't follow suit.
GO Woke go BROKE
Soooooo True!

Augusta IS, though, starting to weaken, IMO. Lee Elder honorary tee off is another example of pandering where we never would have seen pandering in decades passed...

I would be shocked if some day the LPGA doesn't have a Ladies Masters at Augusta. I think I might just see it in my lifetime...(not that I would necessarily be opposed to that - it might actually be kind of cool).
Still going on with the same crap. You be you👍

Still going on with the same crap. You be you👍

They're pandering plain and simple. It is the first (noticeable) chink in the armor. They will continue to weaken to the mob demands. Hootie Johnson would be ashamed.

To be honest, that is how I've consumed the Masters the past couple years. Their digital production is second to none.

ANGG or bust for me. Move it and I’d find something else to do with my weekend

It would not be the Masters if it was moved to another course. And I wouldn't watch it. I'd be curious if any professional golfers would play if it was moved?

Moving the Masters out of Georgia would be the same as moving the Indianapolis 500 out of Indiana, I'd vote no.

Follow-up question: Would it still be "The Masters" if it was renamed to something other than "The Masters?" I mean, if we're entertaining the question of "Would a tournament being moved from a club's venue still be that club's tournament?" then why not?

Next up: Participation jackets for all! 😂

To state the obvious, "The Masters" is an invitational hosted by Augusta National. It does not have the status of being a "Major" by virtue of the PGA Tour, but due to its history. Anyone who thinks that it could be moved and still be The Masters has been deluded in to thinking that it is just another arm of "Corporate America" like MLB, NBA or the NFL.

Furthermore, the members not only have "F-You money", as someone noted previously, but have demonstrated in the recent past that they will run it on their own (i.e. no sponsors) and indicated that they might not run it at all if it became too much of a hassle. The members might actually like getting their course back for March and April.

Follow-up question: Would it still be "The Masters" if it was renamed to something other than "The Masters?" I mean, if we're entertaining the question of "Would a tournament being moved from a club's venue still be that club's tournament?" then why not?

Next up: Participation jackets for all! 😂
It wouldn't be The Masters anywhere else, because ANGC would never allow the use of the name or the green jacket anywhere else. If the venue was moved and the tournament renamed, it would just be another tournament, with none of the Masters history or tradition.

It wouldn't be The Masters anywhere else, because ANGC would never allow the use of the name or the green jacket anywhere else. If the venue was moved and the tournament renamed, it would just be another tournament, with none of the Masters history or tradition.
it would be the equivalent of whatever the hell they run opposite The Open Championship

The Masters is AN. That said, if any of this gains ridiculous traction, I'm forever done with PGA golf.

I like tradition in sport, like wearing white at Wimbledon. There are so many alternatives where people can do what they like but you can't beat a traditional annual event in sport.

Since I haven't watched the so called news in several years I can't think of any reason it would be moved, or should be.

Too bad they couldn't have included a couple "off the record" quotes from the board members at ANGC. I'd love to hear their thoughts about the idea. :ROFLMAO:

Too bad they couldn't have included a couple "off the record" quotes from the board members at ANGC. I'd love to hear their thoughts about the idea. :ROFLMAO:
That article's referring to the PGA Tour Championship, not the Masters Tournament.

That article's referring to the PGA Tour Championship, not the Masters Tournament.
I obviously haven't had enough coffee yet, haha. I had the Masters on my mind and completely misread that.

I'd still like to hear ANGC's unfiltered inside thoughts about moving the Masters, though!

Back