If They Moved The Masters

it's a pga event, right?

again, i think the whole thing is total BS. but places cave all the time

This is Directly from the PGA Tour:

Is The Masters part of the PGA TOUR?
While The Masters tournament is recognized as an official event by the PGA TOUR and our players participate in it, the event is owned and operated by Augusta National Golf Club.

If the PGA pulls the Masters from the schedule, Augusta proceeds to hold the event as normal, inviting those players that qualify, each one will have to decide if they accept and play or not.

If the PGA pulls the Masters from the schedule, Augusta proceeds to hold the event as normal, inviting those players that qualify, each one will have to decide if they accept and play or not.
not one would accept

What would happen if the Masters organizers themselves decided to cancel the event? They certainly don't need the money.

I suppose the various pro-golf tours could come up with another major some where. Just couldn't call it The Masters.

I can almost imagine the PGA trying to change the Masters. Everyone at AGNC would just tell them to go pound sand.... like zero chance. The best the PGA could possibly do is counter-program some other tournament the same week. Except, then all the players would just play the Masters anyway. I mean, just not an option.

From what I have read, a civil rights group is calling for the pga tour, and the masters organizers to pull event from Augusta National. Basically move it out of Georgia.

Do you see the problem with that statement? Augusta National organizes and owns the Masters

The world has gone crazy. We actually got a memo at work not to call it the cockpit anymore, it’s now to be known as the flight deck.

MLB caved and moved the all-star game...
And the MLB, like the NFL, NBA, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the NHL, are hemorrhaging both fans and money.

It's not much talked about in the press, but if you follow comments in various and sundry on-line forums, one thing I've seen mentioned on more than one occasion is some (many?) people are still watching PGA golf, some even having switched from the other sports to doing so, because it's been relatively free of the wokeness stupidity. The other sports' TV ratings have plunged precipitously. The PGA is experiencing a ratings surge.

not one would accept
You base this assertion on...?

I can almost imagine the PGA trying to change the Masters. Everyone at AGNC would just tell them to go pound sand.... like zero chance. The best the PGA could possibly do is counter-program some other tournament the same week. Except, then all the players would just play the Masters anyway. I mean, just not an option.

What if the players decided to follow a larger purse, and leave The Masters behind?

What if the players decided to follow a larger purse, and leave The Masters behind?
There's still a lot of cachet with a Masters win. Including the lifetime exemption. I think they still go for the green jacket.

I feel we need a quick dictionary here so people stop mixing up abbreviations and the like.

PGA - Professional Golfers of America. They control the PGA Championship, the PGA Professional Championship (club and teaching pros) and the Ryder Cup. They have nothing to do with the PGA Tour

PGA Tour - Has no tie in to the PGA since 1968. They run the Players Championship, and your weekly (ish) tour event. They acknowledge the PGA Championship as a major, more as a homage to their tie in originally with the PGA.

The Masters - Run solely by Augusta National Golf Club. Think of it as a member guest, minus no members. They have a criteria, and they control 100% of the event. They work with the PGA, R&A, and USGA with regards to more a professional courtesy. They don’t care one bit what the other organizations say though. No professional tour tells them what to do, they have zero power over them. Their TV contracts with CBS are annual. If they get sick of them or CBS doesn’t follow their rules, they will find another broadcaster. They could sell the rights to HBO and they’d still have millions of viewers for the month. When the NOW got all aggressive on having a woman member and threatened to boycott the sponsors, ANGC removed all their sponsors and still put on the Masters, and still made millions. Let me stress again: you don’t tell them what to do, they literally have what we call “F you” money. The groups that are making noise have no idea what they’re dealing with here. It’s hilarious to think they will get one of the most powerful organizations in golf to bend to a cancel culture will. As they say in the South, “Oh child, bless your heart.”

Remember when Martha Burk tried to get the Masters cancelled over their women's membership policy and Augusta National just decided to go commercial free instead of having their corporate sponsors take any heat?

Actually, yeah I hope woke social media gets what they want and we get another commercial free Masters.

I feel we need a quick dictionary here so people stop mixing up abbreviations and the like.

PGA - Professional Golfers of America. They control the PGA Championship, the PGA Professional Championship (club and teaching pros) and the Ryder Cup. They have nothing to do with the PGA Tour

PGA Tour - Has no tie in to the PGA since 1968. They run the Players Championship, and your weekly (ish) tour event. They acknowledge the PGA Championship as a major, more as a homage to their tie in originally with the PGA.

The Masters - Run solely by Augusta National Golf Club. Think of it as a member guest, minus no members. They have a criteria, and they control 100% of the event. They work with the PGA, R&A, and USGA with regards to more a professional courtesy. They don’t care one bit what the other organizations say though. No professional tour tells them what to do, they have zero power over them. Their TV contracts with CBS are annual. If they get sick of them or CBS doesn’t follow their rules, they will find another broadcaster. They could sell the rights to HBO and they’d still have millions of viewers for the month. When the NOW got all aggressive on having a woman member and threatened to boycott the sponsors, ANGC removed all their sponsors and still put on the Masters, and still made millions. Let me stress again: you don’t tell them what to do, they literally have what we call “F you” money. The groups that are making noise have no idea what they’re dealing with here. It’s hilarious to think they will get one of the most powerful organizations in golf to bend to a cancel culture will. As they say in the South, “Oh child, bless your heart.”
Thank you.

And the MLB, like the NFL, NBA, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the NHL, are hemorrhaging both fans and money.

It's not much talked about in the press, but if you follow comments in various and sundry on-line forums, one thing I've seen mentioned on more than one occasion is some (many?) people are still watching PGA golf, some even having switched from the other sports to doing so, because it's been relatively free of the wokeness stupidity. The other sports' TV ratings have plunged precipitously. The PGA is experiencing a ratings surge.

You base this assertion on...?
I think they would feel pressure not to play. I don't think it will matter since it's not going to happen.

I think people seem to be underestimating the DGAF policy at ANGC. Funny how the media isn't asking Bill Gates to give up his membership though.

Remember when Martha Burk tried to get the Masters cancelled over their women's membership policy and Augusta National just decided to go commercial free instead of having their corporate sponsors take any heat?

Actually, yeah I hope woke social media gets what they want and we get another commercial free Masters.

56 minutes of every hour to 100% Masters coverage? That was the best kind of Masters. They had what, 2-3 sponsors at most? IBM (Of which the CEO gets a complimentary membership damn near), Exxon Mobil (Gee, wonder if the CEO is also a member) and during that couple years, SBC. It was Coca Cola prior to NOW, cause... Okay do I have to say it anymore? The CEO also happened to be a member of ANGC.

I think people seem to be underestimating the DGAF policy at ANGC. Funny how the media isn't asking Bill Gates to give up his membership though.
They are softening though. Lee Elder teeing off next week is a sign of that.

They don’t need television or sponsors to conduct their annual Invitational.

Back