If you could change one and only one thing about your swing, what would it be?

Eliminate the overswing, keep it more compact.

More swing speed please. I really need the extra distance.

Reduce variation as much as I could. I could live with almost any reasonable swing if it were consistent.

the golfer swinging the club

People used to comment how short my backswing was for how far I used to hit it. It became my swing, so not sure how to unbuild everything around one change. It would be totally different.

I think I see where some tour guys go off the rails sometimes making just one change to their swing or body.
Whatever gets you to the top of the game, ride it for as long as you can. "The formula" as they're calling it with B.A.D. (And already telling him to change everything are the "experts.") :LOL:

Increased swing speed. Honestly, I am happy with everything else. I can shape shots. Get consistent distance and hit 3/4, 1/2 swings, knockdowns and the like. I get a lot of complements for accuracy and consistency, especially hitting fairways with driver and putting long approach shots on the green. I'd like fewer long approach shots to the green.

I’m not sure what I would change. And that’s my problem! I don’t know what my problem is! 😆

Better hip rotation

never hit another fat shot ever again :D

300+ drives

More speed

Longer backswing. Id love to be able to get back to parallel to get more distance. When I try to get to parallel, I feel like Im overswinging and my accuracy goes out the window.

Stop "jumping" from the top!

Consistent driver swing to put me on the fairway, this would allow me to shoot much lower.

I am amazed at how many people struggle with pain. It makes me very grateful that I am currently playing pretty much pain free, while coming in on the big 6 ZERO at the end of the year. It hasn’t always been like that.

Tempo.... don’t have a great swing don’t have a horrible swing..... Tempo is the that lynchpin

I am amazed at how many people struggle with pain. It makes me very grateful that I am currently playing pretty much pain free, while coming in on the big 6 ZERO at the end of the year. It hasn’t always been like that.
I'll be 58 this year and playing pretty much pain free as well (knock on wood). It's probably because I don't swing fast enough to hurt myself! :LOL:

More left through the ball.

i want to be the guy on the left, and to tell the guy on the right to take a long walk off a short pier. this backswing work has been so challenging.

View attachment 8952397
I am trying to get a swing down to that is consistent and good. Had it for a couple of rounds and now feel lost again. UGH!!!!!!

My game has constantly changed as my swing speed has increased and now really focusing on repeatability of it. Only a short time back I was swinging in the mid 80s and now mid to high 90s (average around 97-98). Sometimes I get over a 100 MPH when my body is feeling decent.

I don't even know how that is possible, but one thing has helped and that is reducing the long wide back swing (not sure how this has helped, but it has) and really applying the velocity in the swing about the last three to four feet coming through the ball.

Looking back, I cannot believe how far I have come this year. Now I am just trying to keep the good shots repeatable and minimize the bad strikes. Sometimes we just have to be happy with the accomplishments and accept those bad days happen.
Have you been seeing a coach or just on your own? Whats your secret? I am 53 and due too covid up here have not seen my coach for a bit but trying to get better swing speed. I also beleive i go to far back on back swing according to video and lose my arms. Its been a lot of work this year

If i could change one thing it would be to not have my club face open at impact. It's the only flaw in my swing that is keeping me from consistently scoring in the high 70's every time out.

I am trying to get a swing down to that is consistent and good. Had it for a couple of rounds and now feel lost again. UGH!!!!!!
There are several comments on here about wanting consistency. This used to be my problem for many years. This might help point the way for many of you.

In search of the consistent swing, I started watching other players on the range and on the course. I noticed virtually all of the folks making inconsistent contact did two things the consistently GOOD strikers typically did not. They all manipulated their swings forcing the club head to go this way or that. The other thing is that they almost never took notice of contact problems. For example, go up and down the range and you'll hear a lot of club heads hitting the mat and then the ball. You can somewhat get away with that with mats on a range, but not out on the course. People will do that over and over again. Thump/click, thump/click, thump/click.

So I set out to eliminate all my manipulations and let the club swing and release. The feeling of a loss of control is hard at first. It helped to tell my self, "I'm on the range. Who cares where the ball goes." I had to make grip, swing and sequencing corrections, and fight a lot of urges to manipulate the club. But I got there...and the payoff is HUGE!

Hope that helps some of you.

Have you been seeing a coach or just on your own? Whats your secret? I am 53 and due too covid up here have not seen my coach for a bit but trying to get better swing speed. I also beleive i go to far back on back swing according to video and lose my arms. Its been a lot of work this year
No, I have not seen a coach. I just keep working at it on my own. I do watch a fair amount of swing vids, especially Moe Norman as I have always liked his swing. For practice I use a SwingRite, and I used rubber stretch bands for arm strength, I use those Lowe's driverway markers, and I hit a lot of balls into my net focusing on increasing my SS. Sometimes though it gets to a point to where I don't feel like I am accomplishing anything.

One thing that seems to hinder me is when I attempt to take a wide full takeaway. I can hit the ball fine, but I cannot seem to build up the higher speeds. The shorter takeaway and focusing on the velocity through the four foot area before the ball is where I build most of my speed (at least that is how it feels to me).

Wife did some vids of me today and I was surprised at how short my backswing actually is. I did not hit well today for some reason - just did not feel synched up. Even my putting was lacking tempo. I have those days and just have to bear through them. I am somewhat inconsistent right now and I need to figure out what is going on.

More consistent tempo, stop trying to swing at 100% or greater!

Back