If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would It Be?

California taxes prohibit me from living in San Diego. If they weren't, I'd be there already. There or Monterey. When the wife and I retire, it'll be somewhere on the Atlantic Coast. I'd love to live on the Outer Banks (if Huhhh would give them back).

Santa Barbara. Great golf, great weather, gorgeous scenery, great little pocket of the world.

My top 3 in no order

Texas
N Carolina
Florida

honorable mentions
S Carolina
Utah
Arizona

Just wherever my family is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maui, Myrtle Beach or Coastal Florida

Being from San Diego I can't choose San Diego (and if I was to choose a location here I'd choose something coastal, Del Mar, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia). San Diego is a great place to live but it doesn't come cheap and then you have that bunch in Sacramento who look to kill the Golden Goose. We have a vacation condo in Park City, Utah and I have often thought of retiring there (or in nearby Heber City). Still kind of expensive but the skiing and golf would keep me happy. But then I have to think of golf as a three season sport there.

Being from San Diego I can't choose San Diego (and if I was to choose a location here I'd choose something coastal, Del Mar, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia). San Diego is a great place to live but it doesn't come cheap and then you have that bunch in Sacramento who look to kill the Golden Goose. We have a vacation condo in Park City, Utah and I have often thought of retiring there (or in nearby Heber City). Still kind of expensive but the skiing and golf would keep me happy. But then I have to think of golf as a three season sport there.

A short drive to St. George makes it a 4 season sport. I've considered moving there though July is a little rough.

Having lived in many places, I would say that we really enjoyed the panhandle of FL the most. If I could work there and travel somewhat easily, we could be happy there.

JM

The panhandle in the summer is literally hell on earth from my own experience.

Two islands to south of me. The big island. If I had to choose another place. I'd go with the Cook Islands.

Assuming money is no hindrance I would want to move to Hawai'i.

Last time I was there I wanted to stay. A lot of my mom's family is still there and we found out after mom died that our dad wanted to move us there in the '60s but mom nixed the idea. So maybe she knows better than I. She came to the States in 1946 and only went back two times before she died in 2003.

I am torn in this...i would love to be in Japan, but also miss southern California and would live to be down there again if i could afford it.

I truly love Portland, great city. If the weather was better year round this would be it. But it isn't so we will move eventually. I don't know enough about the state to say where but the wife and I envision retiring to someplace in Florida that has the beaches and vibe we experienced in Palm Beach with a bit more of a vibrant city like we have in Portland. And golf courses.

I'm looking for a place to live now since I retired in December. It's a lot harder to decide then I thought it would be. I'm looking at staying in NorCal, or moving to Portland, Seattle, Idaho or North Carolina. I need to get on a plane and check em all out.

I am where I want to be. Southeast Florida

Heaven

For the summer, lakefront on any of 100 or so lakes in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin. For the winter, Naples florida with ideally a month long ski vacation in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Hawaii... Spent 5 years on Oahu. The hard part would be choosing between Oahu, Maui and Big Island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am torn in this...i would love to be in Japan, but also miss southern California and would live to be down there again if i could afford it.

Interesting choice... I live in Japan. What's your draw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

San Diego

This is really more relevant for me in the context of retirement. I will spend 8-9 months a year here in MN (probably northern MN vs. the cities). Will be able to return to fishing more with the extra time and MN is as good a place as there is in the lower 48 for that activity. Golf is really good here as well. Can also use it as a base to chase ruffed grouse, pheasants and prairie grouse all over the north woods & northern plains with my dogs in the fall.

Hoping the winters can be spent somewhere in the southwest. Want to golf year around and can probably figure out how to do a little upland hunting (desert quail) while down there too.

My first instinct is to say San Diego, been there a few times and have loved it every time. I was just in Seattle/Portland/Bandon and the weather there was amazing, but that's to be expected in July. I'll stick with San Diego.....but definitely not in the city, maybe in Carlsbad or somewhere else close by. Now....I need to find a good job to be able to afford it!!!

Having been there a few times, it would be Hawaii for me. Not Oahu, but Maui, the Big Island or Kauai.

We're moving to Costa Rica in January!

Nepal. When I was there last you could rent a house, with a house helper, gardener, and night watchman for around $80 U.S./month. And the beauty is hard to match. Only place where I'm actually considered rich, lol.

Back