If you could play Five Courses in Scotland...

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Suppose you had the week off and an itch for links golf. What would be the Five Courses you'd want to play? Bonus points for lesser known or "hidden gems".

I don’t know any, must be time for a drink.

I don’t know any, must be time for a drink.

I recommend a Moscow Mule with Tito's and FeverTree, and this (y)

Old Course, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, Kingsbarns, and Gleneagles.

I will be there in August. But as this is a wish list....It would be Ardfin, Machrie, Machrihanish, Askernish and Shiskine...I have played two of them before.

Troon
The Old Course
Prestwick
Muselburgh
Carnoustie

Any five. Because if i were ever lucky enough to find myself in a position to be playing golf in Scotland, I wouldn’t be picky, I’d be puddling my pants happy.

My actual rotation August Elie, Lundin, Leven, Dumbarnie, Old, New, Castle, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, North Berwick

Royal Dornoch, North Berwick, Old Course, Turnberry, Carnoustie (on a calm day) or Elie (on a windy day)

My actual rotation August Elie, Lundin, Leven, Dumbarnie, Old, New, Castle, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, North Berwick
Have you been to Scotland before? If not, I can imagine going to Elie first will result in several "wtf?" moments since they have so many quirky holes. Most of the courses won't be like that, but I'm guessing it'll grow on you as you check out the other courses and you'll want to go back as soon as you can! Just don't skip Berwick... it's a treat.

Have you been to Scotland before? If not, I can imagine going to Elie first will result in several "wtf?" moments since they have so many quirky holes. Most of the courses won't be like that, but I'm guessing it'll grow on you as you check out the other courses and you'll want to go back as soon as you can! Just don't skip Berwick... it's a treat.

9th trip to Scotland, 22nd to British Isles

9th trip to Scotland, 22nd to British Isles

I'm going to need some advice. First timer, going in May and these are the courses mapped so far.

St. Andrews
Carnoustie
Royal Dornach
Royal Aberdeen
Castle Stuart

I'm going to need some advice. First timer, going in May and these are the courses mapped so far.

St. Andrews
Carnoustie
Royal Dornach
Royal Aberdeen
Castle Stuart
Via travel route.....St A, Car, RA, CS, RD...….think about Trump Scotland near RA, Cruden Bay is one my faves and in that area....Nairn 1/2 way from CS to RD...

I'm l
Via travel route.....St A, Car, RA, CS, RD...….think about Trump Scotland near RA, Cruden Bay is one my faves and in that area....Nairn 1/2 way from CS to RD...

I'm limited to 4-5 so just want to make sure I don't have any regrets. I don't mind quirky as it would be a fun experience. I'd rather avoid 4-5 very similar type courses.

I'm l

I'm limited to 4-5 so just want to make sure I don't have any regrets. I don't mind quirky as it would be a fun experience. I'd rather avoid 4-5 very similar type courses.
You won't have any regrets out of that group! Aberdeen vs. Cruden Bay might be the toughest decision. Cruden Bay is quirky and fun but Aberdeen is a better course. You won't go wrong either way!

The few that jump out on my list for a future itinerary: Old course, Carnoustie, Muirfield, North Berwick, Kingsbarn.

Royal Aberdeen, Royal Troon, Royal Dornoch could sub in for Kingsbarn. I don’t think I really could go wrong with any of them to be honest.

North Berwick
Troon
Turnberry (stunned this doesn't get more of a mention)
Dornoch
Old Course

So many other options though ...

Old Course, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, Turnburry, Aberdeen.

Now for someone to put together the trip...

Would be interesting if people noted what area each course was in. When planning a trip, working the logistics is tough if you haven’t been there. We are going in May and plan to play generally out of St Andrews. We have a round a day scheduled but will be looking to add a second 18 on some of the days. Good news, based upon the answers so far, we have the right ones targeted. I may start a new thread around our particular area, St Andrews.

Old Course
Carnoustie
Gleneagles
North Berwick
Muirfield

Would be interesting if people noted what area each course was in. When planning a trip, working the logistics is tough if you haven’t been there. We are going in May and plan to play generally out of St Andrews. We have a round a day scheduled but will be looking to add a second 18 on some of the days. Good news, based upon the answers so far, we have the right ones targeted. I may start a new thread around our particular area, St Andrews.

When in May? I will be there the 8th -17th

In no particular order hidden gems, sure there are lots I haven’t played

Panmure

Cruden Bay

Brora

North Berwick

Murcar

out of the way

Macrahanish

Askernish

I'd play the biggies for sure - Old Course, Carnoustie, Muirfield

Then for the other two.... hmmmm

Loch Lomond
Skibo Castle (I could never afford it by myself, but since its a wish list)!

Old Course
Carnustie
Royal Troon championship or member course
Prestwick
Turnberry

I wanted to play Muirfield but have heard they’re not very kind to guests, especially Americans. Or so I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarNasty is right across the bay, pretty easy to get to, Kingsbarns is like 15 miles or something like that. There’s a ton of great courses right there, since there’s no other reason to go. Expect whisky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back