If you could recommend a top 5 song playlist for someone who never cared for music for 30+ years, what would it be?

I like the idea from @YukonLiving with going with some instrumentals, here are a few worth a listen:

Macklemore Downtown
Shaggy It wasn't me
Lil NAS Old town road
Ed Sheeran Beautiful people
Nelly ride with me

Awesome question and glad you're getting the chance to experience music again. Tough to go top-5 without a specific genre, so here are 5 essential songs (according to me) of the last 30 years:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
99 Problems - Jay Z
Adele - Hello
Tool - Aenima or Lateralus (if you want to taste a bit of metal without going too heavy)

It’s an insanely hard choice ... how about we go with one option from 5 different genres?

1 (rock) Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
2 (Motown) Jackson 5, I Want You Back
3 (punk) The Ramones, Blitzkrieg Bop
4 (country) Johnny Cash, I Walk The Line
5) (hip hop/rap) Sugarhill Gang, Rapper’s Delight

Last edited:
Awesome question and glad you're getting the chance to experience music again. Tough to go top-5 without a specific genre, so here are 5 essential songs (according to me) of the last 30 years:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
99 Problems - Jay Z
Adele - Hello
Tool - Aenima or Lateralus (if you want to taste a bit of metal without going too heavy)
I could listen to yellow Ledbetter on repeat until the end of time

I could listen to yellow Ledbetter on repeat until the end of time
Someone called it the "Little Wing" of its generation and... yeah, I'd agree with that statement. Just an absolute classic riff/solo.

Someone called it the "Little Wing" of its generation and... yeah, I'd agree with that statement. Just an absolute classic riff/solo.
I think Eddie’s sometimes incomprehensible lyrics in the song just add to its perfection also. It’s just so damn good.

I will give ten:

1. "Take Five" - Dave Brubeck Quartet
2. "Sultans of Swing" - Dire Straits
3. "Down by the River" - Neil Young and Crazy Horse
4. "Life During Wartime" -Talking Heads
5. "Sweet Melissa" - Allman Brothers Band
6. "Julie's House" - Leo Kottke
7. "Somebody's Crying" - Chris Isaak
8. "Shallow" - Lady Gaga
9. "Take it Back" - Barenaked Ladies
10. "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" - Lucinda Williams

Thanks everyone for taking the time to list your recommendations! I cannot wait to start listening to them! Seriously looking forward to it

If I was super energetic I’d make a playlist with all of these songs. Some really good one in here.

What's your top 5 for yourself? I really have no favorite genre yet. its all new territory for me!
"Amarillo By Morning" George Strait
"Flatliner" Cole Swindell
"Daddy Never Was the Cadillac Kind" Confederate Railroad
"Feed Jake" Pirates Of The Mississippi
"Country Girl (Shake It For Me)" Luke Bryan
Im actually way more into oldies and songs that are waaaaay older than 30 years but I do love country music too and some of the newer stuff, while it can be quite awful from a musical standpoint, they can be songs that are catchy and quite fun.

I think Eddie’s sometimes incomprehensible lyrics in the song just add to its perfection also. It’s just so damn good.
bah, mah ray mah, ahm ahhh whhishh onnn a mmmayyyy :LOL::ROFLMAO:

@NoShanks might think his ears are jacked up again.

I chose these for aural quality ranging from musical arrangement to vocal range. Each brings something unique, and are different enough to explore a wide range of style and tone.

Symphony no. 5 - Beethoven
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Beat it - Micheal Jackson
Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
Me & Mr. Jones - Amy Winehouse

Let’s try a little different direction. The purity of a Beautiful voice backed by fine orchestration.

Absolutely bohemian rhapsody

Elvis Presley - American Trilogy

Jim Nabors - Impossible Dream

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Celine Dion - Because You Love Me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, so much to chose from. I’ll try to go with some new variety that hasn’t been mentioned.

Tom Petty - lots of good ones (last dance with Mary Jane)
Metallica - One
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Kansas - Carry on wayward son
Garth Brooks - Friends I’m low places
Rolling Stones
Queen - another one bites the dust
Green Day - Long View (or boulevard of broken dreams)
Smashing Pumpkins - Today
Jimmy Hendrix - Hey Joe (or all along the watch tower)

Hard to say - my playlists run 40-50 songs. Pink Floyd, ELP and Moody Blues were my go-tos back in the day, anything Eric Clapton, The Who, Tom Petty, Allman Bros, The Band or Eagles to play along with.

I don't know if you've seen this but it's hilarious

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Sam Cooke - Bring it on Home to Me
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
The Beatles - Yesterday

And finally, the best love song ever:
Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

1. Merle Haggard - "The Fightin' Side of Me"

2. Bill Monroe - "Uncle Pen"

3. Del McCoury Band - "All Aboard"

4. George Strait - "When Did You Stop Loving Me"

5. Gary Allan - "Right Where I Need To Be"

America - You Can Do Magic, Horse with No Name, Sister Golden Hair, Ventura Highway, Tin Man

Heart - Crazy on You, Barracuda, Magic Man

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams, Sara, As Long as You Follow, Tusk, Big Love, In the Back of My Mind

Journey - Send Her My Love, Girl Can't Help It, Still They Ride, Who's Crying Now, the Party's Over, Stone in Love

Def Leppard - Photograph, Let it Go, Another Hit and Run, Billy's Got a Gun, Gods of War

Back