If you could swap one aspect of your game for a Tour player’s...

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
What aspect of your game would you swap for the average tour player’s skill? Not looking for a specific player’s specific skill (Tiger’s iron play etc...) just if you could chose any aspect of your game to come up to tour level and everything else stayed the same what would you choose and why? Perhaps the stat’s guys on THP with more knowledge than me on strokes gained could tell us if there’s a really clear cut obvious answer? Putting? GIR?

Length for me. I was a much better golfer in my 20's when I could hit a 300 yard drive or a 150 9 iron.

Bunker play without a doubt

Short game say 100 and in.

I think most are going to say some type of short game but imagine standing on the tee of a 380 yard par 4. You bang it out 310 and now have a short chip...makes the game sooooo much easier.

As much as i feel like putting is the right answer, I would trade driving accuracy. I feel like my tee game causes me more troubles that lead to bad scores than anything.

Approach shots/GIR for sure, being able to set myself up for a pretty much guaranteed 2 putt (and occasional 1 putt) every time would be incredible.

Wedge play

It shouldn't even be a consideration.

Short game. If I had a better short game my handicap would reflect it.

The overall swing of Adam Scott (y)

GIR % for me. Presumably accuracy and overall long game improves as a whole to accomplish this feat, and proximity to hole likely improves with it. If I could match a tour Pro's GIR%, I feel like my short game and putting would hold up to complement.

Greens in regulation.

Or, if it is a choice, my earnings capability in golf is nil so I'd take the Tour player's.

Very well thought out answer right here. :D

I would think a pro's driver game would help me the most. I don't have the distance they do. I could us the extra 70-80 yards they have, that I don't.

Of course their driver distances would carry over to my other full swing clubs.

With my current short game, the extra distance would get me into lower, single digits as far as my handicap would be concerned.

GIR without question. When I hit greens, I score well. When I don’t, I score poorly. Stats from the last few years prove that for me.

There may be a better answer but personally, I want to be better off the tee. I feel like if I was improved (shoot, I don't even need tour level) in that area, my game would get a lot better overall

I would say I'd love DJ's wedge play. Outside of that, just someone who doesn't hit it OB off the tee twice per round

Definitely wedge play for me which id say includes 100 yards and in, chipping, pitching, and bunker play

PGA pro's average 12 feet from the pin for approaches 30 - 50 yards with dead last averaging 18 feet away. For me I can be anywhere from 3 feet away to 60. Id love to have that consistency knowing im giving myself a chance to make a putt vs hitting a terrible pitch and letting it affect my next long putt which can now be a 3 putt

Bunker play ill get it on the green 9 times out of 10 but I couldnt tell you if its going to spin, roll out, come out high, come out low, etc

im not a bad wedge player but I dont have control of my wedges if that makes sense. I know what I want to do in situations and how to do it, but I dont execute it consistently

Tough call between wedge game and putting for me. I think I hit the ball well enough in other areas that these would make a huge difference in my scoring

Short game... I'm not great at anything but I could be good enough driving the ball, with full irons/wedges and putting. I can hit a variety of good chips, pitches, lobs & flops (even out the sand traps) but man, am I inconsistent...

Back