If you determined the OWGR what would they be?

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
So who are your current top 10 on this sunday before DORAL

heres mine:

1) Martin Kaymer ; Could win week in, week out / Consistent
2) Graeme McDowell ; I dont like the guy but every week you hear his name somehow on Sunday
3) Matt Kuchar; The most consistent American; but I dont see him the top American for long
4) Rickie Fowler ; He's 1 win away from captivating the American Golf world by storm, prime to be the next superstar all he needs is to back up one of his rounds of 62-63 with a round of 65-66 instead of 72-73
5) Tiger Woods ; He's TW still IMHO the most intimidating man in the field, until he's retired he'll always be in my top 10
6) Rory McIlroy ; Rough week at Honda but otherwise steady season.
7) Lee Westwood ; Never won a major and last win I can remember is St. Jude.. a second tier tournament which was given to him by robert garrigus
8) Phil Mickelson ; How many times does the golf world have to give you number 1 and you collapse.. also one great weekend in the last year and half (masters)
9) Bubba Watson ; 2 wins in last year along with Playoff at PGA, In contention in Match Play... kinda wonder why I put him at 9
10) Dustin Johnson ; He was good to start the year, maybe the top American then he almost missed his tee time a few starts back and he has been mediocre at best since.

So interested to what you guys think of mine and see what you guys think the top 10 really is. Want to continue this throughout the season. Hope people want to as well.

Fowler at 4? Hilarious. That's a joke right? You knock Westwoods for winning a second tier tournament, but Fowler has yet to win a tournament of any tier. How is DJ 10th when he won twice last year on tour, in two top events, yet Fowler is no4?

because I was basing mine on the now and what is going on the last few weeks. Its what I dont like about the OWGR.

Fowler at number 4 because he was strong early on this year in all but two tournaments he played. Only missed the cut once and argueably is the best american THIS season.

Westwood has really looked bad this season. Not in contention in anything thus far. Give me a reason why he should be in the top 5 for his performance this season and il give you 5 why he shouldnt.

DJ - hes my favorite golfer but the only reason why I even include him in my top 10 is because I watch him play alot so im biased and also because his 2 wins last season. However this season he has been quiet... i mean quiet.

If this thread was being done in november they would be totally different. What have you done for me lately is how I feel.

Also What would your top 10 be, hope my response was as hilarious as my first post :)

heres mine:

2) Graeme McDowell ; I dont like the guy but every week you hear his name somehow on Sunday
3) Matt Kuchar; The most consistent American; but I dont see him the top American for long
4) Rickie Fowler ; He's 1 win away from captivating the American Golf world by storm, prime to be the next superstar all he needs is to back up one of his rounds of 62-63 with a round of 65-66 instead of 72-73
5) Tiger Woods ; He's TW still IMHO the most intimidating man in the field, until he's retired he'll always be in my top 10
7) Lee Westwood ; Never won a major and last win I can remember is St. Jude.. a second tier tournament which was given to him by robert garrigus
8) Phil Mickelson ; How many times does the golf world have to give you number 1 and you collapse.. also one great weekend in the last year and half (masters)
9) Bubba Watson ; 2 wins in last year along with Playoff at PGA, In contention in Match Play... kinda wonder why I put him at 9
10) Dustin Johnson ; He was good to start the year, maybe the top American then he almost missed his tee time a few starts back and he has been mediocre at best since.

So interested to what you guys think of mine and see what you guys think the top 10 really is. Want to continue this throughout the season. Hope people want to as well.

I actually agree with you that I would like to see the WGR update yearly, kind of like a American college sports system. Fowler is playing great golf this year and just needs to break through. But the one thing I know for sure you got wrong was that Westwood won like, 2-3 weeks ago in Europe.

heres mine:

Where the heck is Luke Donald? Personally I think it should be twenty weeks worth.

Fowler... missed the cut once and argueably is the best american THIS season.

IMHO - he's not even close to being in the list, of argueable contenders, for best american this season.

?Mark Wilson - 6 events played and 2 wins
?Bubba Watson - 6 events played - 1 win and 4th at WGC

Thats just my opinion. I do think Ricky will be a force to be reckoned with, but he's not there yet.

Thanks for starting this thread though - it's a good one

Last edited:
I think I'm one of the few, who likes the owgr. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means. I think the biggest flaw is that it's a lagging indicator; guys who are above average get on a hot streak and shoot up through the rankings. They cool off and start playing to above average mediocrity again, but still sit high on the list. What I'm saying is it tells us who the best golfers in the world are. If they based it on the last X amount of weeks, or something like that, some players (Tiger for instance) wouldn't even be in the top 100. Wether you like him or not, I think we'd all agree that he is, or is a very close second, the best golfer in the world

my #1 is, and always will be, Freddy Couples

what the heck... get off the computer and go hit some balls!! it wasn't that cold today!!

heres mine:

because I was basing mine on the now and what is going on the last few weeks. Its what I dont like about the OWGR.

Fowler at number 4 because he was strong early on this year in all but two tournaments he played. Only missed the cut once and argueably is the best american THIS season.

Westwood has really looked bad this season. Not in contention in anything thus far. Give me a reason why he should be in the top 5 for his performance this season and il give you 5 why he shouldnt.

DJ - hes my favorite golfer but the only reason why I even include him in my top 10 is because I watch him play alot so im biased and also because his 2 wins last season. However this season he has been quiet... i mean quiet.

If this thread was being done in november they would be totally different. What have you done for me lately is how I feel.

Also What would your top 10 be, hope my response was as hilarious as my first post :)

So DJ is in the top 10 because of his two wins last year, yet you are basing your rankings on the now? So confused. If you are basing on the now, where is Mark Wilson or Johnny Vegas? Paul Casey won on the Euro tour, gonna leave him off? Luke Donald won the event that has had the strongest field. I'm sorry but your rankings are WAY off.

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Kuchar
4. Donald
5. Casey
6. Tiger
7. Bubba Watson
8. Rory
9. Phil
10. DJ

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Kuchar
4. Donald
5. Casey
6. Tiger
7. Bubba Watson
8. Rory
9. Phil
10. DJ

This looks about right to me. Nice list. May sub Westy in near the 9-10 mark.

So DJ is in the top 10 because of his two wins last year, yet you are basing your rankings on the now? So confused. If you are basing on the now, where is Mark Wilson or Johnny Vegas? Paul Casey won on the Euro tour, gonna leave him off? Luke Donald won the event that has had the strongest field. I'm sorry but your rankings are WAY off.

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Kuchar
4. Donald
5. Casey
6. Tiger
7. Bubba Watson
8. Rory
9. Phil
10. DJ

So you want to bury someone elses list as completely wrong and yet you want to throw a list out there without Westwood in the top 10? Why because he is not playing well now? Sure that makes sense and can leave him off because of that...However if that is the logic, you cannot have TW in the top 10. You cannot have it both ways. And ahead of Phil, Bubba, and DJ?

This looks about right to me. Nice list. May sub Westy in near the 9-10 mark.

Yeah, I have a hard time leaving Westwood off and putting Tiger so high. I may disagree with myself for that. Tiger shows glimpses of unbelievable talent and has the history, that is the only reason he is up so high. Westwood just chokes. So he finishes second in a bunch on majors and tournaments, but only because he lost the 54 hole lead.

Yeah, I have a hard time leaving Westwood off and putting Tiger so high. I may disagree with myself for that. Tiger shows glimpses of unbelievable talent and has the history, that is the only reason he is up so high. Westwood just chokes. So he finishes second in a bunch on majors and tournaments, but only because he lost the 54 hole lead.

I was unaware that history and glimpses of talent could be ahead of actual results. Hmmmm.

So you want to bury someone elses list as completely wrong and yet you want to throw a list out there without Westwood in the top 10? Why because he is not playing well now? Sure that makes sense and can leave him off because of that...However if that is the logic, you cannot have TW in the top 10. You cannot have it both ways. And ahead of Phil, Bubba, and DJ?

See post #13. I don't entirely agree with myself. I am sitting at my desk talking to myself. People are going to think I need haldol.

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Kuchar
4. Donald
5. Casey
6. Phil
7. Bubba
8. Rory
9. DJ
10. Westwood

I think I agree with myself more on this one. I have to go find some burbon for my coffee, just to calm my brain down.

Mine.

1. Me
2-10.....draw lots for it.

ok, if we're going on the start of the season, we'll have to have a rather unusual top 10, something kinda like this -

1. Mark Wilson
2. Luke Donald
3. Charl Schwartzel
4. Martin Kaymer
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jhohnyhony Vegas
7. Rory Sabotweenie
8. Graeme Mcdowell
9. Paul Casey
10. Matt Kuchar

I'm not condoning this lineup at all, folks, and I know it's wrong.

how can you not like GMac?

ok, if we're going on the start of the season, we'll have to have a rather unusual top 10, something kinda like this -

1. Mark Wilson
2. Luke Donald
3. Charl Schwartzel
4. Martin Kaymer
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jhohnyhony Vegas
7. Rory Sabotweenie
8. Graeme Mcdowell
9. Paul Casey
10. Matt Kuchar

The part that I both love and hate about the OWGR is that it trys to be objective and not reactionary. That it takes into account the previous two years. But because it does that we currently have Tiger at #5 and other craziness.

I'm not going to give a list, because I don't think I could, all I will say, is that the world golf rankings needs to have a shorter term memory and needs to become a little more of a power ranking. Who is the top 10 right now vs the current system of who is the top 10 based on the last two years! It will change more often but will keep the golfers who are playing the best golf right now in the top.

I'm not going to give a list, because I don't think I could, all I will say, is that the world golf rankings needs to have a shorter term memory and needs to become a little more of a power ranking. Who is the top 10 right now vs the current system of who is the top 10 based on the last two years! It will change more often but will keep the golfers who are playing the best golf right now in the top.

I kinda agree, but I also see that this doesn't really satisfy my thoughts. It makes me wonder who would be at number 1 each week? Wouldn't it just be the guy who won last week?

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Donald
4. Westwood
5. Kuchar
6. Mickelson
7. Woods
8. McIlroy
9. Watson
10. Watney

1. Kaymer
2. McDowell
3. Donald
4. Westwood
5. Kuchar
6. Mickelson
7. Woods
8. McIlroy
9. Watson
10. Watney

I don't see how Tom Watson could be in the Top 10 in this group of players.

I kinda agree, but I also see that this doesn't really satisfy my thoughts. It makes me wonder who would be at number 1 each week? Wouldn't it just be the guy who won last week?

I'm not saying redo it every week, but just more of past few months, who has been playing the best golf in the RECENT memory. There is never going to be a perfect system, but I think the one they have right now is FAR from good.

C'mon people wake up. Tiger would fill out all 10 spots. Haven't you heard the news? He's Baaaaaaaaaaack!

Back