If you were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 you would look at to purchase

GolfingDawg

Reaction score
Handicap
I am using callaway X series irons, I think they are over 5 years old and as I am getting opportunity to move closer to retirement and more time to golf, I am thinking of a getting a new iron set. So give me your 3 iron brands you would look at demo'ing and also I am almost 60 and my swing speed is slower now, should I consider graphite shafts. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Editing after some feedback, at this time, I consider myself average golfer, just getting back seriously into the sport and am generally around 85 + or - 5 strokes. I am sure I will improve as I play more as I was 6 handicap before kids showed up 20 years ago and I put golf on the back burner.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Callaway Apex
Mizuno JPX
Srixon ZX

Graphite shafts make a lot of sense for maintaining speed. Definitely give them a try.

Graphite is definitely easier on the body. I wouldn’t hesitate to try those in a fitting. Swing speed is pretty much irrelevant in that regards as there are tons of options out there. There may be a better fit option in steel then graphite though so a fitting would really help you make that determination.

Personally, if I was narrowing it down to 3, I would look at Mizuno, Srixon/Cleveland, and probably Callaway.

I've been pondering irons lately and these are my options.

Callaway Apex Pro/possibly a combo
Beb Hogan PTx Pro
Srixon ZX7

Mizuno is always a good option also.

Mine would be callaway apex (maybe combo), jpx 921 forged, and cobra forged tec

Cobra
Mizuno
Callaway

Titleist T-300

Srixon ZX (playing ZX7 now)
Callaway Apex lineup
Mizuno JPX lineup
Almost too many good options right now. I want to keep listing more I liked. 👍

I have happily played graphite shafts now for a couple of years: Recoil 110, Catalyst 100, and now Steelfiber i95. I keep learning my fit and preferences with graphite and blowing up my stubborn misconceptions.

Srixon
Mizuno JPX 921
Honma TR 21X. See The Peoples Clubs - a sponsor for THP15 promo

Graphite

I would have to go try some out and then make my determination.

Cobra
Mizzy
Have never played this brand but Callaway is looking good

Cobra
Calloway
Ping
It's really had to limit to just 3 choices. there are so many companies making Good golf equipment these days.

I hit them all, very recently, and settled on the Srixon ZX forged line with the Mizuno JPX forged line finishing a close second. Also went graphite with SteelFiber shaft with Recoil a close second.

Cobra
Mizuno
Titleist

Those are my favorite brands.

Titleist
Titleist
Titleist
;)

Seriously, for someone other than me, I'd suggest Srixon and Mizuno, along with Titleist. Without knowing your game/swing/ability, it's pointless to suggest a particular model. Pretty much all the well-known manufacturers make great irons, but companies like these three really seem to shine with better ballstrikers, IMO. Whereas, companies like Callaway and Taylormade also have some great players irons, but offer more options for average players.

Hogan Combo set
Callaway Apex 21
Srixon ZX5 or ZX7

I'm not exactly keeping score, but unless I missed it, there hasn't been a single recommendation for TaylorMade. Curious for a brand of that size. Telling, or merely a statistical anomaly?

The irons a lot of senior tour playerts use C-721, Callaway. Srixon.

I'm not exactly keeping score, but unless I missed it, there hasn't been a single recommendation for TaylorMade. Curious for a brand of that size. Telling, or merely a statistical anomaly?
I think there is a lot more love for their woods than their irons.

Callaway Apex - I play them now and would be interested in the newer model
Cobra Radspeed - I'm very interested to try the one length
Something Else - ???

Cally TCBs
Miz MMC
ZX7

Callaway
Mizuno
Titleist

but so many others! Hard to choose

Back