If you were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 you would look at to purchase

Mizuno Hot Metal/Pro
Srixon ZX5

Those are all not the most expensive if your game really changes as you get back into it, but also come with good stock graphite, and can be combo'd very easily if your game changes some.

no order:

miura tc201
new titleist
callaway

Top 3:

Cobra
Mizuno
Callaway

One I’ve not tried but intrigued by:

Srixon

So many good options, I shoot around what you do now and if I thought I was going to be getting better my top 3 would be
Callaway Apex, some kind of combo maybe Triple Play if you need help with long irons (like me) or the Mixed Combo
Mizuno JPX Forged - hit them last year and they were fantastic
Srixon - ZX5/7 combo if long iron help is needed or just straight ZX7
If you find the price tag on those a little steep I play PTX Pros and suspect those would be a great fit for someone with your ability who's improving and they'll save you a few hundred at least.

And yes, I play graphite shafts and frankly I hope they last forever because I love them and I'm playing a heavy xstiff in them.

Based on my fitting in December I’d go:
  1. Apex
  2. Apex/Apex Pro Combo Set
  3. Mavrik Pro

Callaway- Apex line
Srixon/ XXIO- ZX or X Forged
Mizuno- JPX 921 line
Ben Hogan- Edge EX

I have learned to try as many clubs as I can when buying new ones, because I am invariably disappointed by a club I thought I would love and love a club I thought would disappoint.

TaylorMade (prob. P770s)
callaway Alex or something forged
Ping cause I recently started playing their hybrids

Cobra
Srixon
Mizuno

I would say to try as many as you can depending on your budget, but my initial preferences would be

Srixon
Callaway

Third on my list would possibly be Cobra based solely on what I have read and heard about them

My shopping list leads with:

Srixon (ZX-4, ZX-5)
Mizuno (JPX Hot Metal, Pro)
Callaway TIED with Cobra

See how I snuck four choices in there? Too many good options :)

Cobra Forged Tecs
Mizuno 921 Forged
Callaway Apex Forged

I really appreciate all the feedback... Callaway and Srixon appear to really stand out in responses so far, but as noted, there are tons of good options out there

Srixon
Mizuno JPX 921
Honma TR 21X. See The Peoples Clubs - a sponsor for THP15 promo

Graphite

I can tell you about these in a few days - for when the swing is a bit sucky.

Mizzy’s
Tour Edge C721’s
Apex’s (combo probably)
And new the T’s

Last edited:
Mizzy’s
Apex’s (combo probably)
And new the T’s
I thought for sure you would have the new Tour Edge on there.

I am in the market for new clubs and want to get a fitting next month. I will try anything and everything but

Srixon ZX5
Callaway Apex
JPX921 Hotmetal Pro / Honma TR21X

Are the 3 (4) that I definitely want to hit and have the most interest in.

I am in the market for new clubs and want to get a fitting next month. I will try anything and everything but

Srixon ZX5
Callaway Apex
JPX921 Hotmetal Pro / Honma TR21X

Are the 3 (4) that I definitely want to hit and have the most interest in.

If you want to hit the ZX5, it is worth hitting the ZX7 as well. And ideally off grass. I found the ZX7 easier to hit and I'm nowhere near scratch. I suspect it has to do with sole width. Anywho, if you're hitting one, hit them both and see how it goes.

I am using callaway X series irons, I think they are over 5 years old and as I am getting opportunity to move closer to retirement and more time to golf, I am thinking of a getting a new iron set. So give me your 3 iron brands you would look at demo'ing and also I am almost 60 and my swing speed is slower now, should I consider graphite shafts. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Editing after some feedback, at this time, I consider myself average golfer, just getting back seriously into the sport and am generally around 85 + or - 5 strokes. I am sure I will improve as I play more as I was 6 handicap before kids showed up 20 years ago and I put golf on the back burner.
@GolfingDawg - In looking at this a bit closer and putting more thought into this - I'd have you take a look at the following sets - in no particular order -

1. Mizuno's - So many options and are consistently rated towards the top in independent reviews. Multiple options for what you may need.
2. Tour Edge 721's - C or E's - but I'd suggest the C721's. The irons are at a great price point and really live up to what TE is putting out there. The C's are more of a players iron and the E's are more of a game-improvement iron. The C's have the feeling of forged clubs, forgiveness that we all need, and the ball really goes off the face. Paired with the right shaft, they really can be a great stick for anyone.
3. Callaway or Cobra's - so many different options that can be paired with your swing along with different shaft combos. In addition, both companies are always pushing the edge with technology and it'd be a tough choice between the Callaway Apex's and the Cobra RadSpeed or the KFT's for me.
4. New T's - they're new and to be honest - it's a sexy pick.

If you can - go in with no expectations and let a fitter do their job and put you in what's best for you.

Maltby STi2
Tour Edge HL C521 or E521, maybe a combo of the two
PXG 0211

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would only look at three companies that have treated me exceptionally over the years: PXG, Callaway and Mizuno. So many good irons out there but from these brands I would find a nice match. Right now with Veteran discounts and outstanding quality and fitting PXG front runner for me.

Back