If you were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 you would look at to purchase

Mizuno, I'd look at both the JPX line and the MP-20 HMBs
Srixon ZX lineup
Third choice is a tough one for me, so many great options, I might just lean towards the Callaway Apex line though.

I would try and demo every possible club being mentioned. I would definitely go with graphite shafts. I made this transition with my current irons (Apex 21s). Took me about 4-6 weeks to get really comfortable with them, but I don’t practice as much as I should. I’m coming up to 62, so I feel your pain!!

Mizuno would most likely be at the top of my list but I’d like to think I’d have an open mind and give them a go

I would try and demo every possible club being mentioned. I would definitely go with graphite shafts. I made this transition with my current irons (Apex 21s). Took me about 4-6 weeks to get really comfortable with them, but I don’t practice as much as I should. I’m coming up to 62, so I feel your pain!!
The Elevate shafts with the VSS in them feel like graphite lite to me if you are wanting a smaller step.

1) Callaway Apex 21
2a) Cobra Radspeed OL
2b) Srixon

Last edited:
Cobra MIM
Mizuno 921 Forged
Callaway Apex Pro 21

Earlier this year I was considering (in no particular order):

. Callaway Apex 21, Apex 21 DCB, or blend of the two
. Srixon ZX5, ZX7, or blend of the two
. Cobra Radspeed or Radspeed OL

I was leaning very strongly toward Cobra Radspeed OL, depending upon the outcome of a fitting session.

N.B.: I'm very new to golf and a very high handicapper.

Cleveland
Mizuno

Those are the two that I'm looking at right now. No reason other than lots of good reviews from people in this site.

yes to graphite, no brainer

the rest depends on your swing and psychology. Some will say with handicap of x, you play club type y, with y being player, player distance, game improvement, or super game improvement. But that may not work for you. If you can do a fitting than can help, with caveats.

most everyone makes nice clubs in different categories. If I had to pick, would probably be Srixon, Mizuno, Ping. I’ve owned those recently and didn’t get on with the Mizunos. Hitting ZX7 now but also have a soft spot for i210.

hard to make a bad choice though, unless you pick something that really doesn’t fit your swing.

Callaway Apex
Srixon Z
TaylorMade P770

currently play Apex 19 and very happy with them.

I’m with you on graphite, and in about the same predicament, and age. Currently I have M5 irons with KBS Tour shafts, and they’re not harsh at all. I do however miss the soft feel of graphite and am considering going with Aldila NV in stiff soft-stepped to regular flex. Or I could just buy a new set of irons, and I have been eyeballing 3 sets in particular lately.

Cobra Rad Speed One Length-because I’ve only broke 80 once in my life and that was with Sterling SL irons.
PXG 0211 (2021 version)-because they look so nice, and the price is nice too.
Wilson D9-because I started with Wilson and just have a soft spot for the brand. Offset may be the killer tho.
Edit-yep, Wilson is out after finding the offset on the D9.

Last edited:
Ben Hogan Edge EX
Wilson/Staff D7 Forged
Tour Edge C/E 721
*Cobra Radspeed OL

Cobra - RADspeed
Callaway - Apex DCB
Mizuno - JPX-921

I am not looking but if I were looking today:
Cobra Radspeed one length
Callaway Apex

I doubt I would make it past those two, but I certainly would try Mizuno, Srixon, Ping because all have a set I would be curious to try

Maltby
Tour Edge
Srixon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought irons a couple of months ago, but if I was in the market now I’d be looking at the following:

Cleveland Launcher UHX (what I bought)
Hogan Edge EX
Radspeed One Length

Callaway Apex
Srixon ZX
Titleist T series

So many good choices out there.

Cobra Forged Tec
Srixon ZX5
Ping G425

It's going to depend upon you and your swing of course but I was recently fit for new irons and there are so many great options. Fitting lasted 2 hours and we looked at many of them. I ended up going with a Titleist T300/T200 blended set but some others would've been great options for me too. The Cobra Forged Techs, Mizuno 921 HMs, TaylorMade P790, Callaway Apex 21, and PING G710s were all close for me. I had less success with the SIM2, PXG 211, Radspeed and Mavrik, (altho I did get the Mavrik 4 iron when I had him build my irons - for me it's a bomber of a utility iron).

Agree 100% on graphite. I'm a few years older than you and am club speed challenged. Even if speed weren't the issue I think graphite is the way to go since it'll save wear on the old joints/muscles with the extra practice that usually follows a new set of irons.

ZX7
T100
MIM Tour

I would definitely be looking at something very player oriented like my backup AP2s.

Back