If your team is out of the playoffs, do you want your team to win?

Win or lose if out of contention?

• Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was in the kitchen preparing food for the week and I heard my wife cheering that the Vikings scored to take the lead.

I know they can’t make the playoffs and if things go well, they can get inside the top 10 for the draft.

Do you want your team to win if they are out of the playoffs?

I want them to lose to get better in the future.

I mean it depends on a few scenarios.
1. If they could knock out another team from the playoffs.
2. If it’s a rivalry game
3. If winning doesn’t have a big adjustment on draft pick position.

I can’t help myself. I’ll say I want them to lose, but once the game starts I want to win!

I'll hold my response until after the 3:25 game today ;)

6 weeks ago I figured the Bears were out of it and was hoping for a better draft pick. Then low and behold they win 6 straight and are a game from the playoffs. History tells me they are teasing me big time!:censored:

6 weeks ago I figured the Bears were out of it and was hoping for a better draft pick. Then low and behold they win 6 straight and are a game from the playoffs. History tells me they are teasing me big time!:censored:
The Vikings went on a stretch of 5 of 6 wins and beat the Packers. Then they came back up to reality.

I hope your team makes it.

sometimes a loss helps draft position sometimes a win helps momentum for players / coaches for the next season. For the Vikings with Zimmer almost a guarantee to return and coach, I'm sure he wants to win for momentum into next season and players what to play to earn jobs next season

I really don't have a horse in the race for football and with it being a shorter season, I know each game means a lot more. But I will base my answer off of hockey. Losing too often has the possibility of creating a really bad dynamic around the team and a losing culture that can get hard to get out of. Also losing doesn't guarantee the number one pick since it's off a lottery in hockey. So I'd still want to at least be winning occasionally and especially if it was a rivalry game or something. I bet I would feel differently if I had a football team and last place or closer to it actually guarantees things

Last edited:
I’m competitive sports, always play to win. If you don’t, it’s cheating yourselves, your opponent and your fan base.
Worst case, call up some young guys and let them have their shot so they can show off their skills.

Tell ya what... if I were a Jets fan, I'd have been rooting for the Rams a couple weeks ago.

But as a Rams fan, I had to witness my team take a colossal dump.

Unless my team is in the running for a top 3, and potentially franchise altering pick, I don't pay any attention to draft position.

So 99% of the time, I'm hoping for a win.

I can’t help myself. I’ll say I want them to lose, but once the game starts I want to win!
This is me. Once the playoffs are out the window I know it is probably best to get the higher pick. But I can't help but to start rooting for my team to win. Especially with football. There's so few games and everyone means so much I will always start pulling for the Niners.

The Texans are out of the playoffs but have nothing to gain by tanking. They made some questionable deals and traded away draft picks. I would like to see them win as a much needed morale booster headed into the offseason. JJ Watt is probably playing his last game as a Texan and he deserves a better team than what they put out on the field this year.

Always root for the W.

losing culture is contagious and can bleed over

If out of the playoff race I wouldn't mind them losing out for a better pick in the draft. However if they can play spoiler to some rivals would definitely want them to win in that scenario.

And a new QB, GM and coach. Now idk that any of that will happen. And if they backdoor their way in and get knocked out idk that the winning was worth it

And a new QB, GM and coach. Now idk that any of that will happen. And if they backdoor their way in and get knocked out idk that the winning was worth it
Totally agree!

I would rather see a team win.

Not even sure what it's like to have that decision to make 🤣

I was in the kitchen preparing food for the week and I heard my wife cheering that the Vikings scored to take the lead.

I know they can’t make the playoffs and if things go well, they can get inside the top 10 for the draft.

Do you want your team to win if they are out of the playoffs?

I want them to lose to get better in the future.

First of all, there's no guarantee that your team will get better simply because it gets a higher draft pick! And who could root for their team to win?! Someone who is self hating?

First of all, there's no guarantee that your team will get better simply because it gets a higher draft pick! And who could root for their team to win?! Someone who is self hating?

That is correct, it isn’t a guarantee but they would be picking 3-5 picks sooner every round. Draft picks are one the best bargaining chips, if that is to move up or getting better talent on your team via trade. Why win a game that means nothing but making your draft picks worse?

I would say let's go to tank City for draft picks but I've been a Timberwolves fan for a long time and that doesn't seem to work.

I think that’s what my wife calls a fair weather fan?
I don’t know, with Nebraska I’m a fair weather fan when their sucking and losing I just jump on the band wagon and cheer them on to lose worse. When their winning life’s great.
IDC, I’ve lived here forever... I’ve had my fill of their garbage...

Agreed, should always go for the win.

Back