I'm curious........

When I asked this question on here, I had honestly never paid attention to where I had gripped the club. I made it a point to see yesterday when I played. Apparently, I grip the club about 1/2 from the butt of the grip. No particular reason. That's just where my hand ends up when I grip the club. I tried to grip at the very butt end of the grip. Yeah, that's a f*** no for me. Feels way too weird.

Now that I think about it, I do choke down on my grips once in a while but I don't make a habit of it

I’m short so I’ve always played everything -1/2”. I have everything at “standard” length now and grip down 1/2-3/4”. Just feels more comfortable

It's not a matter of gripping down. There's a place on the handle where the club feels in balance, like it will work with you, and that your hands are in communication with the clubhead. If you grip the club too close to the butt end the club feels heavy and hard to control. If you grip it too close the metal it feels stiff and unresponsive. Find that balance spot every time you put your hands on the club.

I tend to set up for normal shots about 1/2 to an inch down from the end of the club. I don't have a reason other than I feel more comfortable that way.

Driver for the most part all the time ... 1" down the grip. Punch shots with irons will be the same. :D

Usually within 1/2" of the grip cap, but I will choke on punch shots and pitch and runs with my irons. My Ping wedges have the Dylawedge grips that have three grip markings to allow for choked up grips. I use them heavily.

Back