I'm officially a Rickie Fowler hater....

Actually, I'm the opposite. His style kinda annoys me but I like him as a golfer and a person. He won once overseas last year. He's young but I know he was in the hunt in several big tourneys last year. I still pull for him in all the tourneys I see him in. I hope he gets some solid wins under his belt this year.

I dont mind young Rickie at all. Sure I dont care for the orange clubs or clothes but who cares. He seems like a good kid and I enjoy watching him golf. Hopefully he'll win and switch clubs lol

To me he is just a non-factor. After he actually does something I will notice. Right now he is a Golf Channel and PGA PR department fabrication and it is a shame that a guy that has done really nothing gets so much attention and others who are just as deserving talent wise get none, it definitely makes a difference in terms of money made off the golf course. So far they have created a male version of Michelle Wie, all hype and no substance, at least not yet.

Everyone that knows anything in golf knows that a lot of things need to happen to grow this game, with the top issue being getting the sport into the newer generation.

Rickie Fowler is the answer.

I don't know how you can say he simply can't win. I disagree entirely. How long did it take Phil to get a major, with people saying he'd never win one? One he broke through, everything changed. Be patient, the kid is young and he's only getting better.

I like Rickie. I understand people thinking it is weird that he is the face of a brand, but that has everything to do with popularity and usually Popularity = Wins, but not in this instance. I guess you feel that he didn't earn it other than being popular. I understand that and kinda agree, but it is all about what can get Cobra the most $$$ and I think they made a wise choice.

Doesn't even matter because he's going to win this week at the WM. Calling it.

Doesn't even matter because he's going to win this week at the WM. Calling it.

I have a feeling he is going to do well there. I hope he wins and its a hole in one in the stadium hole.

I've compared him to Anna Kournikova in the past. He's got flair, he's pretty popular, but he has yet to pull of a win on the PGA Tour. Perhaps the best moment of his career so far has been his final 4 holes at the Ryder Cup in 2010. He's still young, he has a lot of hype, and a lot of talent. Some times these kinds of players don't always pan out right away or really ever. Look at Charles Howell III, he was supposed to be one of those can't miss guys, and while he has had a nice career, it's definitely not hall of fame material.

I can see how Ricki's style is a little off putting for some people, but I think he's great for the tour. If golf is going to prosper moving forward you have to figure out a way to get younger people involved and engaged and I think he does that pretty easily!

The only knock against him from most is his overboard sense of style. I am 64 so I would look foolish dressed as he does however were I 24, I would be all over that style, he turns the heads of our younger golfers and makes them focus on our beloved sport. Simply put, he is good for the game.

I can't stand the flat billed caps (On Fowler, rappers, baseball players or anyone else for that matter) but other than that, I like the guy and hope he does well.

This good for the game mentality is a bit overrated. Sure, he has flare and gets attention but is he really drawing people to the game that wouldn't otherwise end up playing? I don't think so. If he ends up winning majors and making mainstream headlines then maybe but not now. I do like the kid though, think he is a great putter, and it's just a matter of time before he does start winning.

Well the odds of that are certainly against him. The game has changed and the gap of how good these guys are have closed alittle in my opinion. I see rickie getting a win but why hate on a kid who has yet to breakthrough at a young age?

He puts himself out there what's wrong with that?
I'm not hating on him. Just saying he hasn't won yet. I expect him to win, and win a lot. But so many people talk about him like he's the next big thing, but all these guys you never heard of keep getting their first win before him. That's gotta weigh on the guy. Potential is a good thing, but it doesn't win golf tournaments.

The guy is very likeable, and for that reason I hope he starts winning soon. But Clint Hurdle was a nice guy too who was supposed to be a big MLB star but he wound up being a major bust. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Yeah its not his fault he's a marketable guy and because he is then people just expect him to be great! He could go either two ways, 1) like anna kournakova who we all agree is wow and very marketable but she sucked at tennis and never won or 2) he could be like federer and marketable but takes a while to find his true potential (federer was 24 before winning his first grand slam) time will tell how good he is then make a judgement!

This good for the game mentality is a bit overrated. Sure, he has flare and gets attention but is he really drawing people to the game that wouldn't otherwise end up playing? I don't think so. If he ends up winning majors and making mainstream headlines then maybe but not now. I do like the kid though, think he is a great putter, and it's just a matter of time before he does start winning.

Do you not see all the little kids wearing his flat brim hats and Puma shirts? Did you miss the young man dressed completely in his orange Sunday outfit that one tournament let step up on the tee and imitate Fowler last year, all while being broadcast nationally on television? He's absolutely making a difference.

Do you not see all the little kids wearing his flat brim hats and Puma shirts? Did you miss the young man dressed completely in his orange Sunday outfit that one tournament let step up on the tee and imitate Fowler last year, all while being broadcast nationally on television? He's absolutely making a difference.

And said kid WAS AT A GOLF TOURNAMENT. Good for the game is not influencing kids that are already apart of the game but drawing in new ones. Let's go ask 10 non-golfing kids ages 10-15 and ask if they know who he is and if they plan on playing because of him.

And said kid WAS AT A GOLF TOURNAMENT. Good for the game is not influencing kids that are already apart of the game but drawing in new ones. Let's go ask 10 non-golfing kids ages 10-15 and ask if they know who he is and if they plan on playing because of him.

He was at a golf tournament that Rickie was at. Can you tell me he's been a golf fan for the (maybe maximum) 10 years of his life? Or maybe he really DID get into the game because of Rickie. You don't know any of those kids or their story, but he's definitely drawing a much bigger crowd of this new generation into the sport. Especially with his affiliation with Red Bull, a well-known action sports sponsor that a lot of these kids know of quite well.

I agree with this...if Fowler wasn't out there like that, do you really think the same kid would be out there enthusiastically cheering Steve Stricker while dressed in Khakis?

Fowler is outstanding for the tour, and would be even more so if he would start winning. The Tour needs marketable American 20-somethings to focus on for future growth, and even though I don't care for the fashion statements, Fowler fits that bill, and seems to be a nice kid to boot.

THIS RIGHT HERE is exactly what I mean. Kid's dont wear that if you're not making an impact.

I remember when Rory won his first event. I think it was in Dubai. There was a ton of hype around him before he finally broke through. Rickie will win and it might be at the Phoenix open this week. He has a good track record there. He should have won last year but was overly cautious and that's what lost him the tournament. He'll get there!

I don't mind rickie's personal style, it's absolutely not my thing by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't hurt me none and if he wants wear orange and staker style hats, then who I am to stand in his way.

I do get annoyed, not with rickie but the hype surrounding him. He is very marketable and can be a face of golf for a future generation, that's all well and good I have no issue with that. I just get annoyed hearing the talking heads always bring up rickie's name, predicting he's going to win, predicting he's going to have a big year when I feel like the only reason they are bringing him up is because of his marketability off the course, not because of anything he's actually done on it.

Could rickie win and win a good number of times? Of course he could, he's shown flashes and anybody who has a tour card these days is good enough to win on any given week. However as I said, I feel like the talking heads always bring up rickie because of his ability off the course rather than on it. For some people, that can turn you off to the guy.

I don't understand hating on anyone for their professional win/loss record. Everything I've heard is that Rickie is not an a-hole, in sport that has its fair share, he should be applauded for being approachable and a genuine person.

I put him on my fantasy team for the Phoniex Open this weekend...he almost won it 2 years ago.

As the thread starter I'd like to place a paypal bet. (Is this not allowed? IF it isn't I will delete this immediately) I will paypal someone $20 if he places in the top 10. If he doesn't, you paypal me $20. First PM is on.

Back