I'm officially a Rickie Fowler hater....

Billy Hurley is a PGA Tour rookie. Hard to get a lot of coverage when you have only played a handful of times so far on tour.

Really? Because we've seen rookies get tons of coverage, Rory, Rickie, Cauley gets decent coverage too.

Edit: Ryo too.

Really? Because we've seen rookies get tons of coverage, Rory, Rickie, Cauley gets decent coverage too.

Again, you are comparing two different things. Those guys came in with great past history of winning just the year prior as an amateur. Hurley could not do that because he was fighting a war. Lots of guys take a few years to get going. You think Bubba Watson got a ton of coverage as a rookie? How about G-Mac? Those two guys moved the needle AFTER they had success and people got to learn a little bit about them. IF Hurley wins and he may not, but if he does, people will hear more and more about him because he has a story that people want to know about. Regardless if it means nothing to you, to the majority in the US, they identify with his efforts that make this place what it is. Few other athletes can say that, but we saw the same thing in the NFL with Pat.

Saying that someone lacks charisma and spunk without knowing much about him or seeing him play in his 1st year is odd to say the least.

Again, you are comparing two different things. Those guys came in with great past history of winning just the year prior as an amateur. Hurley could not do that because he was fighting a war. Lots of guys take a few years to get going. You think Bubba Watson got a ton of coverage as a rookie? How about G-Mac? Those two guys moved the needle AFTER they had success and people got to learn a little bit about them.

That is a fair statement and I do see your point.

IF Hurley wins and he may not, but if he does, people will hear more and more about him because he has a story that people want to know about. Regardless if it means nothing to you, to the majority in the US, they identify with his efforts that make this place what it is. Few other athletes can say that, but we saw the same thing in the NFL with Pat.

I never said it meant nothing to me, thanks. I think hes great for what he did and Im sure people will want to hear more about him and his story. To me, that doesnt bring him anywhere near being the next face of golf.. and hes only 2 or 3 years younger than tiger, rookie or not.

Saying that someone lacks charisma and spunk without knowing much about him or seeing him play in his 1st year is odd to say the least.

I never said he lacked charisma, hes certainly got charm, and hes a likeable guy, but to me, hes forgettable. His story sure makes him stick out, but nothing else does. Thats where flash and spunk comes in. Ive watched a few of his interviews... Yawn.

Again, you are comparing two different things. Those guys came in with great past history of winning just the year prior as an amateur. Hurley could not do that because he was fighting a war. Lots of guys take a few years to get going. You think Bubba Watson got a ton of coverage as a rookie? How about G-Mac? Those two guys moved the needle AFTER they had success and people got to learn a little bit about them. IF Hurley wins and he may not, but if he does, people will hear more and more about him because he has a story that people want to know about. Regardless if it means nothing to you, to the majority in the US, they identify with his efforts that make this place what it is. Few other athletes can say that, but we saw the same thing in the NFL with Pat.

I agree with a lot of this. Keegan even after winning the HP Byron Nelson didn't have THAT much exposure. It took winning the PGA for him to be elevated into a new category, a category he clearly earned. And I just can't get behind the whole "Ricky hasn't done anything argument". As I said, I am not a big Ricky fan by no means. But the guy placed as low amateur (if I remember right) at the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, the longest Open in the history of the tournament and one of the toughest and most competitive in recent memory. He made the Ryder Cup in only his second full year on tour. And has competed in many. Ricky just happened to come along at the right time for him and the wrong time for the tour. Tiger was hurt after the 2008 Open. Then there was the scandal. None of these things are Ricky's fault. The PGA Tour needed someone to be an ambassador for the game and they hitched their wagons to one of the best people in the game. He is good with fans, is young, and has flash. The PGA Tour would have been nuts not to look at this guy as someone that could lead the game out of the current Tiger funk.

That is what they said about Jack Nicklaus. Winning changes everything. As I said, the two greatest players in the modern era both got there from winning and not charisma. Take away the wins and both are forgettable by a large margin.

His story sure makes him stick out, but nothing else does.

Judging someone based solely on things before his rookie season would be like saying the same thing about Keegan Bradley. Yet you can guarantee if he wins another major in the next year or two all of the sudden he is one of the biggest things on tour. He lacks both charisma, charm and everything else at the highest level. Why not wait to actually see the guy play and hear more before putting up labels or lack of labels. There are many ways to get noticed, and Rickie Fowler does it with marketing from those behind him. Others do it with play on the course. Others hide from it. However every golfer has a chance as a rookie to get noticed and age has little to do with any of it. In fact its more of a help than a hindrance in this situation.

really? never heard this one before....

Rickie is a publicists wet dream. He's got the Bieber haircut, an original style with the creamsicle look, ties into the hip hop vibe with the flat brimmed cap and isn't, by all accounts a total A-Hole. Not really surprising that the PGA is pimping him as the new face of golf.

I mean seriously can you picture one of these guys as the new face of golf?
rookie_collage_610.ashx

My bad Hanks, poor proof reading skills. I corrected the original post. Should be NOT a total A-Hole

Wow I missed that. I've actually heard that Rickie's a really nice guy, and from my brief encounters with hin he seems pretty cool.

Edit: Typo in the first post. He is a nice dude though.

I think he will win eventually as he has tremendous talent. Is he deserving of all the press he has received over the last two years? Probably not. But he seems like a really good guy and I wish him the best.

You have to admit that individual looks, style (swag), and personality have an inherent impact on a newcomer's ability to be noticed. Read the Payne Stewart book, he wanted to be different in some way that made him stand out. He chose the NFL clothing option. Turns out that he already had some style and a good personality already but it took more than that to be noticed. In the end, he had to win to continue to be noticed. Maybe Fowler will end up more deserving of the attention that he's getting by winning in 2012. I personally hope so because I believe that he is deserving just based upon his talent and winning history as an amateur.

Morgan Cup v3.0

Cobra sponsorship announcement early on brings much appreciation but mixed reactions.

TC chosen as captain of team that will be sponsored by Cobra.

Captain TC bites tongue, grits teeth, and smiles for the camera!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

TC is off the Cobra hatewagon.

Morgan Cup v3.0

Cobra sponsorship announcement early on brings much appreciation but mixed reactions.

TC chosen as captain of team that will be sponsored by Cobra.

Captain TC bites tongue, grits teeth, and smiles for the camera!

Ooohhhh... I'd like to be able to keep up better with the goings ons around here but it's hard with my work schedule!

What brought this about? Gray sit him down and have a man to man?

Not only will Ricky put up a top 5 this week, he will win more times this year than Phil. Now all you Phil cultists can let me have it.

Not only will Ricky put up a top 5 this week, he will win more times this year than Phil. Now all you Phil cultists can let me have it.

No cultist here, but ironically the forum has had the exact same posts written for the last 2 years as well. I guess eventually it has to be right.

no cultist here, but ironically the forum has had the exact same posts written for the last 2 years as well. I guess eventually it has to be right.

tiger is back!

If Phil used AMP he'd shoot 59 every round I'm sure. Phil > All. :D

No cultist here, but ironically the forum has had the exact same posts written for the last 2 years as well. I guess eventually it has to be right.

Others wrote that Ricky would beat Phil? Thats crazy talk until now. It would be unreasonable to expect that much as a rookie. However, I feel that this year he will improve enough to end up top 20ish and get his first win. Hopefully this week because I need the points!!

If Phil used AMP he'd shoot 59 every round I'm sure. Phil > All. :D

Every time I see Phil on tv he is hitting from behind a tree, bush, rock, cactus in the right rough. He needs something. Phil < greatest. Public, Press, Tour just wants him to be >. I think it was a Johnny Miller quote that without Phil's wedge game he would be selling cars somewhere. But that is for a whole other thread so I will stop here.

Talk today is that Phil will be back in the winner's circle in a few weeks, right now he's trying out different driver shafts to find one that fits his game and puts the ball in the fairways.....

I know the right shaft plays a HUGE roll, but don't you think a pro should also be able to fit a fairway regardless. I mean back in the days, just about everyone played the same shafts.

I don't hate Ricky but his commercial is starting to make me hate drinking orange juice

I was at a groccery store this morning while wearing a puma hat. When I snapped my fingers, an orange exploded.

I was at a groccery store this morning while wearing a puma hat. When I snapped my fingers, an orange exploded.

That's so awesome. Hopefully you don't choke on Sunday's.

I'm more thinking that why can't he test out shafts in the off season as opposed to testing in tourneys?

Talk today is that Phil will be back in the winner's circle in a few weeks, right now he's trying out different driver shafts to find one that fits his game and puts the ball in the fairways.....

I know the right shaft plays a HUGE roll, but don't you think a pro should also be able to fit a fairway regardless. I mean back in the days, just about everyone played the same shafts.

That's so awesome. Hopefully you don't choke on Sunday's.

He didn't choke when he won across the pacific :act-up:

Back