Imagine if you Will: The PGA Tour Without Caddies

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
What we're seeing today is fun. These guys are blazing through this golf course and looking like regular, albeit very good players. Can the tour do away with caddies? Would it speed up the game? Would the players really care (I mean, the field would still be level.) Would viewers even care?

No need for caddies really other than to carry the clubs and rake bunkers. Looking at today’s golf it’s much quicker and means the decision sits firmly with the player. Course management would become a priority rather than someone to bounce club selection and type of shot off.

They need the big bags for sponsor logos and they need extra hats the caddies were for other logos or a lot of money would be lost.

I like the idea of a tournament without caddies. Probably see some quicker game play...

The over 40 crowd could not carry their bags 5 or 7 days in a row for a tourney.

How would it look seeing Tiger walking up 18 for the win with his clubs on his back?

Not saying it's a bad thing, but sure would look different.

I love the idea. Clicgear might become a new title sponsor. And the end of the Staff Bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff bags are dumb. What the hell do you need in there?

I was out playing today (poorly I might add) but look forward to watching my recording.

The tour guys play fast vs normal guys no matter what but they teach the average hack how to be slow. Maybe if the tour pro showed us how to play a non-tournament round it would help pace of play:unsure:

I suggest they do one event each season without caddies. Shorts, stand bags and rangefinders.

I think it would be fun to see at least a tournament or two like that per year

I agree, it would be cool to see, even if they just tried it out for a few times a year. I didn’t see much of the round at al today, but my first thoughts were, “shorts, not too bad”, “carry bags, cool to see them all carrying their own bags”, “rangefinders, sweet!”

They are playing the way we do with no caddies and shorts. Love it!

I think there is a fairly large group of people who make a decent living from caddying who probably think this is a very bad idea. :LOL:

The best part is them reading their own putts.

I'd love it.
Caddies do nothing but slow down play and diminish the skill of the player.

Assuming the players would have to walk, and carry their own bags, I'd like to see a "no caddy" pga tournament. I think it would change some players' game.

They might miss that extra set of eyes.

I often heard the argument for a 5th major. Why not make that 5th major a no caddy, no cart affair? That would set it apart from the other 4 majors.

I don't think it would speed up the game. I think the players would care. It seems from the responses that some viewers do care, but would not miss them.

Maybe it's just because my chosen sport had coaches (like every other sport) and catchers, but I like the caddie-player dynamic.

Back