Impact…is it the main objective?

Slot708

🤦‍♂️ hardcore DOS gamer
Reaction score
there is a million ways to swing the golf club.But when it comes down to it.The impact zone is one area where the good players are very similar.One of my favorite books is the “impact zone” by Bobby Clambett.Which really focuses on that one area with many a good drill.Just for fun, post up your impact photos and let us guess how the shot turned out.

Yes, the only thing that matters is how the club impacts the ball. The ball doesn't care how it got there.

I'll post some stills in a bit.

This will be a fun one to start off with.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.28.46 PM.png

How it turned out.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.31.12 PM.png

Last edited:
that is very nice That Post.Im afraid to put any up as you guys would laugh

Nah, nobody would laugh. That's definitely not in the spirit of THP. Trust me I've put some truly horrendous swing videos on here and nothing but encouragement. It's our ethos here.

Let's do another one.
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.38.48 PM.png

Overcooked it a bit, pin high left side.
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.41.48 PM.png

This is from a lifetime ago, it’s just slightly past impact, but it’s the only one I have.

IMG_2849.jpeg

Is that early 80’s. Love that look.So retro
I don’t remember exactly but sometime in the mid 80’s. Myrtle Beach. One of the courses had a woman who’d take your picture on the first tee. When you finished, they’d have a couple of photos you could buy.

Wish I could change the title.But this goes back to my favorite book from Bobby Clampbett.. The Impact Zone. He shows there are a million swings that work..but they work all the same in one area. Impact.. two inches before impact, impact, and four inches after.Ive always thought once the ball was gone that was it;However, he likes the face being square after the strike as well.I think we all get caught up in the DTL views of a swing.But the front on view in the impact zone maybe the only view to focus on.He does state an slight in to out swing path is ideal.But he does state slight, no big looping shallow move like you see now a days being taught

Last edited:
IMG_2526.pngThis was a few months back.I think I was hitting it well this day.But can’t remember

I've always believed this. If you look at the players from yesteryear their swings were wildly different, but their impact positions were all very similar. I think it was Arnold Palmer who said you don't hit the ball on your back swing.

I've always believed this. If you look at the players from yesteryear their swings were wildly different, but their impact positions were all very similar. I think it was Arnold Palmer who said you don't hit the ball on your back swing.
I started the game during the Payne Stewart,Nick Faldo,Ernie Els era.So I never really got to appreciate the old school swings until a few years back.I do agree, their swings had some hitches and loops back than.But they got to some pretty darn good impact positions.And they had no video equipment, or flight monitors back than.They must have developed those old school swings by feel and thousands of golf balls hit.

Anyways, this book is a real gem.Kinda refreshing focusing on one area that really counts versus the thousand other checkpoints.

You haven't seen my swing. @That post and several others have and none of them have laughed at it. And to your point, while mine isn't pretty I tend to strike the ball pretty decent. I was playing with a newish member at my club the other week who's pretty good. He said multiple times that based on my take away and swing that he thought trouble was coming only to be surprised that I squared the club face and hit a good shot. That 6 inches is what really matters, thought the rest of it impacts how consistently you deliver the club in those 6 inches.

You haven't seen my swing. @That post and several others have and none of them have laughed at it. And to your point, while mine isn't pretty I tend to strike the ball pretty decent. I was playing with a newish member at my club the other week who's pretty good. He said multiple times that based on my take away and swing that he thought trouble was coming only to be surprised that I squared the club face and hit a good shot. That 6 inches is what really matters, thought the rest of it impacts how consistently you deliver the club in those 6 inches.
I’m glad you didn’t mention laughing at the sound because I think we all did that after wiping the blood from our ears. 🤣🤣

I’m glad you didn’t mention laughing at the sound because I think we all did that after wiping the blood from our ears. 🤣🤣
I guess I couldn't hear you. My right ear is pretty bad.

never knew they had this.Here is basically the full book in a video clinic.I like how it is all cause and effect

there are some great comparisons between players with different takeaways, positions at the top, transitions, etc. they can all look very different. but at impact they are all remarkably similar.

1,00000%. I loved Seve’s quote so much I had it put on my custom shaft when I attended the hand crafted event a few years back….

The point is that it doesn't matter if you look like a beast before or after the hit, as long as you look like a beauty at the moment of impact.

Low point rather than impact.

Real similar to stack and tilt trying to bottom out in front of the ball.
No you have the wrong concept. It is more drive the forearms and hold the release through impact. The low point is different throughput the set on normal shots. One of the old golf theorist, Abe Mitchell devoted a Chapter to it in his 1930s publication "Down to Scratch". He named the Chapter "Muscle Set". He recommended golfers set up at address setting their muscles at the point of the swing where the full power is released, at the bottom of the forward swing arc.
For a driver and low lofted woods that point would be the ball. For irons the bottom of the swing is on the target side of the ball.

never knew they had this.Here is basically the full book in a video clinic.I like how it is all cause and effect

From age 12 to 22 Clampett was taught and practiced by Ben Doyle, a disciple of Homer Kelley's The Golfing Machine. He had a sensational junior, amateur and collegiate
playing career, but abandoned his golf swing technique principles after squandering a 5-shot 36 hole lead at the 1982 British Open. He started trying too much different technique stuff from a few instructors, his tempo became too fast, his putting deteriorated, and he lost his Tour card. My guess is that had he stuck with what he learned as junior player Clampett would have had a pro career at least as good as Corey Pavin, John Cook and Mark O'Meara, guys he had routinely beaten during their amateur days.
I believe the "Impact Zone" stuff Clampett is now selling came from his The Golfing Machine experience, and to make it more marketable he simplified the terminology.

No you have the wrong concept. It is more drive the forearms and hold the release through impact. The low point is different throughput the set on normal shots. One of the old golf theorist, Abe Mitchell devoted a Chapter to it in his 1930s publication "Down to Scratch". He named the Chapter "Muscle Set". He recommended golfers set up at address setting their muscles at the point of the swing where the full power is released, at the bottom of the forward swing arc.
For a driver and low lofted woods that point would be the ball. For irons the bottom of the swing is on the target side of the ball.
Interesting concept.That is a very old book and hard to find.

Interesting concept.That is a very old book and hard to find.
It is the sequel to his book "Essentials Of Golf" which because it is such an important and rare work, Essentials was reprinted by George H Doran Company, New York.
Down to Scratch was written to answer the questions from readers of Essentials of Golf.

It is the sequel to his book "Essentials Of Golf" which because it is such an important and rare work, Essentials was reprinted by George H Doran Company, New York.
Down to Scratch was written to answer the questions from readers of Essentials of Golf.
I found a pdf of this book.I like the counter wound grip and body setup idea.A lot of this was in Ben Hogan’s five lessons.Wonder if he read that book as well? Maybe he was afraid of scaring the field mice on the left side of the golf course

Back