Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So just saw President Trump was impeached. I am probably the least political guy out there...
What is next???

Will have to go to the Senate for a trial and vote. If won't pass the senate.

Oh no. Here we go ?
I had to...I just got back in from taking out clients and it was the first thing that came on when I turned on the TV.

Republicans run the Senate so this was all just a big waste of time. And thank the Dems for getting Trump re-elected.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Senate full of republicans. It won't pass.

But, it'll hurt his re-election I'm sure.

A lot of analysts feel it will have the opposite effect. They think this has helped Trump. I hate politics with a passion but all of these moves are measured and I don't believe there's a single honest person in the entire government.

A lot of analysts feel it will have the opposite effect. They think this has helped Trump. I hate politics with a passion but all of these moves are measured and I don't believe there's a single honest person in the entire government.
My view point as well.

Will have to go to the Senate for a trial and vote. If won't pass the senate.

Sorry as I’m not American, but I thought impeachment doesn’t have to go to the senate, only the vote to remove from office?

Sorry as I’m not American, but I thought impeachment doesn’t have to go to the senate, only the vote to remove from office?
The House brings and approves the articles of impeachment, then it goes to the Senate for trial.

No. The house is like a district attorney (presents the charge) and the senate is like a jury.

The same thing happened to Clinton. He was impeached by a Republican held House of Representatives, but it was not upheld by the Democrat held Senate.

ETA - just did some review of the Clinton impeachment and the Senate was held by a Republican majority. But they still acquitted Clinton.

Yes and it requires a 2/3 vote to remove from office. With the Republicans holding a 53-47 advantage in the Senate, he will not be removed from office.

Nancy Pelosi is a hypocrite.

The only thing we have learned from this entire impeachment process is that most of Twitter did not do well in their civics classes. People are out here celebrating without realizing that it’s basically halftime with no practical chance of winning the game.

No. The house is like a district attorney (presents the charge) and the senate is like a jury.

The same thing happened to Clinton. He was impeached by a Republican held House of Representatives, but it was not upheld by the Democrat held Senate.

ETA - just did some review of the Clinton impeachment and the Senate was held by a Republican majority. But they still acquitted Clinton.

Probably cuz they too like their staffers/interns ?

But yeah a big circus and it'll just stir ? up until the next election.. if it were sooner I think it would help him, but as it's still 11 months away I'm guessing other stuff will come up/out that'll impact it

Means absolutely nothing. Trump wins by the same or wider margin next year because the economy is so good and the Democrats will put up the worst candidate since Fritz Mondale
The only wild card right now seems to be the farmers who are taking a beating with the tariff battle. And Michael Dukakis would like to have a word with you.

not saying anything about the appropriateness of alleged actions or the process itself. but i will disagree about it hurting his re-election chances. trump’s base was fortified by his atypical antics. they love him because he is the anti politician. now we have a kangaroo court of an impeachment trial, and the base will circle the wagons even more aggressively. i see this helping him tremendously assuming the votes aren’t there in the senate.

not saying anything about the appropriateness of alleged actions or the process itself. but i will disagree about it hurting his re-election chances. trump’s base was fortified by his atypical antics. they love him because he is the anti politician. now we have a kangaroo court of an impeachment trial, and the base will circle the wagons even more aggressively. i see this helping him tremendously assuming the votes aren’t there in the senate.

Shortly after I said that, I felt the opposite.

So, I agree with you and others who said this would help him.
I can’t tell if this is his mastermind plan or if he is just lucky it’s working in his favor. I hate politics but this story has me intrigued.

Definitely gonna help him. His base got stronger, those like me (who voted for him even though we didn't think he was the best candidate offered by the Republicans and have been happy with his performance thus far) have decided we made a great choice and will vote the same way next year, and many who were on the fence have been turned off by the blatant bias of the House process and will vote for him, too.

He might just give Reagan 1984 a run for his money.

He should be impeached for driving on the green. The call with Ukraine - nah.

Impeachment is like bringing criminal charges. That happens in the House. Then it goes to the Senate for a trial. The Senate - and therefore the path in charge - makes the rules for the trial and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presides over the trial.

Correct. It requires 2/3 of the Senate (67) to remove a President from office / convict. 45 Senators voted to remove him for perjury, 50 voted to remove him for obstruction of justice.

All of politics has become so very partisan - Trump supporters will support him no matter what... Trump detractors will attack no matter what

we live in an unprecedented age... the majority of the voters get their news from twitter and Facebook and Instagram, and not through reputable news agencies that are supposed to get every story...

it’s the 10% in the middle that make the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back