Implantable cardioverter defibrillators

Leftyuk

Reaction score
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Handicap
Anyone got one?

I went to a cardiologist this morning . I had a heart attack 12 years ago, and until last summer ,everything was OK. I had packed up smoking , dropped 60 lbs and was in reasonable shape, pleased with a consistent 120/80 blood pressure. But in the summer, my blood pressure dropped to 95/60 and I felt light headed and lost balance. Especially at t5he top of my backswing! I joked that my game was suffering because of it, and the doctor reduced my medication. The blood pressure went back to 120/80 , but a 48 hour ECG noticed an issue with heart rhythm. Now he wants to put in an ICD.

My first question was, will this affect my swing? He said yes.

Raising your arms above your head is frowned upon if you have an ICD. Brushing across the implant site on your backswing will also makes things difficult.

So has anyone out there had one, and how did it affect you ? 80% of ICD's are not necessary, so it is a factor.

OK , I need help.

I am having one fitted below my chest bone. Although it is a local anaesthetic op, it is not a small affair and the box is the size of a match box.

Does anyone know anyone who has had it, do I renew my golf club membership or take up bridge.

Dang lefty sorry to hear that. I do not have any first hand knowledge to offer you. Internal defibrillators are similar to pacemakers but a lot less common. You could try searching online for information about pacemakers and golf to see if that topic has been covered somewhere. Good luck.

OK , I need help.

I am having one fitted below my chest bone. Although it is a local anaesthetic op, it is not a small affair and the box is the size of a match box.

Does anyone know anyone who has had it, do I renew my golf club membership or take up bridge.

I’ve got one. I’m on year 11 since my first and have had it replaced once due to the battery being depleted (typical battery expectancy was around 6-7 years on my first, I think they’re shooting for 10 on the one I have now).

Your initial recovery is the toughest part as you simply are having to learn how to live with a device implanted in your chest and the lead implantation is the most intrusive.

They’ll have you limit your arm movement so that you don’t increase the likely hood of disrupting the lead placement.

You’ll get back to golf, but it will take some getting used to. Don’t rush the recovery...

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I’m certain there’s a few. PM if your more comfortable with that....

I’ve had one since 2014, barely notice it. No problem golfing. Will need new one soon due to battery life.
Two mitral valve surgeries, 1 MI, 2 stints, a pacer/defibrillate and a partridge in a pear tree and I can still post an under bogey round once in a while.
Ain’t nuttin to it. All about attitude.
If you need reassurance pm a # and we can talk about it

Thanks guys , you have really cheered me up....

Found this site , which is perfect.

I don't, but a guy I play with regularly has something like this. He still walks most of his rounds and swings pretty normal. His putting has actually improved a ton as result and has posted some sneaky good rounds!

My dad had one years ago and it was huge but he still played golf and bowled, I would hope they are much smaller now and more durable.

I am on the pace to get one at some point with the AFib and super low heartrate but high blood pressure. Good luck and stay safe!

I need help with my putting so this could work for me!

:twist::twist:

Movement restrictions after an ICD placement are usually temporary. I suspect you'll be right back at it before long and the biggest issue will just be getting back to a point where you don't notice it. As for 80% being unnecessary, a life-threatening dysrhythmia (even for patients with a cardiac history) is a relatively rare event, but when you need defibrillation or pacing, you need it :) Best of luck in your recovery!

I would make sure to ask your cardiologist about this - because there are newer ICD models that are essentially 'wireless' and that don't even have 'leads'. Whether an alternative model would be right for you or more preferable with someone super active, I don't know, but there are a lot of new products/devices out there now. Worth asking about.

I am scheduled for an ICD implant next Friday, 4th December. I am having a COVID test on Wednesday 2nd, after which I have to self isolate. So as the rest of UK comes out of lockdown and heads to the golf course, I am banned from everywhere...........:banghead:

I suspect I will feel like I have been hit in the chest with a lump hammer for six weeks and be ready for golf in February. If you have to miss two months of golf in UK, December and January are first choice.

Those of you who think we are mad to pay $10 per gallon for gas, ask me how much the operation will cost me and compare that to your cost.

I'm to this thread a bit late... my dad has one. He calls it his little rocket motor. He's not 100% sure it's ever gone off but then there is that one times he keeps telling me about when he was napping in his recliner and felt like he got hit by something...:LOL: I don't know if he's serious about that or not but he's as cantankerous as always. He had triple bypass 17 or so years ago and has outlived the docs original prognosis of 5 year success rate.

I wish you luck in your surgery and a speedy recovery. Take this time to forget all of your bad putting habits and learn new ones.

@Leftyuk if you like, PM me your address and what type of snacks you like and I'll see if I can put together a care package for you. And what type of golf balls...

You're going to be fine!

PM me your address and what type of snacks you like and I'll see if I can put together a care package for you. And what type of golf balls...

Very kind of you to offer, but my post lockdown waistline is under review by 'She who must be Obeyed'.

So have been a part of many difibrillator proceedures, it freaks me out a bit because they have to test them to make sure they work. :oops:

Had the box implanted this morning. Feel like I have been hit in the shoulder with a 2 by 4....hard.

Procedure was easy peasy and no big deal. Went in at 8, under the knife at 9 and in the car to come home at 1. Heavy local anaesthetic meant I was awake all the time with no sedation. Will be sore for a couple of days and not allowed to drive for a month. But should be back on the range by January and on the course by February.

Hopefully.

And my COVID test was negative.

Glad to hear that lefty! Take your time and recover and you'll be good as new soon!

Glad to hear that the procedure went well. My regular golfing buddy just had the same procedure and is no the shelf until January/February as well. He says he feels a lot better--his is combo pacemaker/defib unit. The tough part, he says, is feeling great but not being able to play golf or bowl.

Two weeks later, and I am fine.

Bruising is gone, scar is healing well and I feel great. Doctor is happy. I have a wifi box in the bedroom that sends updates from the box in my chest to the cardiologist, and he says all is well.

Will be in the short game area this week and driving range after Xmas.

That’s great news!

I wish the recovery was that quick 15 years ago. It’s truly amazing how quickly the medical industry appears to evolve

Six weeks later and I feel no pain or discomfort. I have this odd lump in my chest, but nothing is a problem.

Unfortunately, UK went into lockdown after Xmas and all golf courses and driving ranges are shut, so I do not know if I can function 100%

Back