Improvements in your Game 2020

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
🤓How Many :thp::welcome::thp:Have seen their golf game improve this year?

How many have seen it walk out the door 🚪 never to be seen again.

I have improved in Putting, but not much else:drinks:

Chipping has improved this year for me.

chipping and putting drastically improved for me this year

Driving improved immensely at the beginning of the year but recently has fallen back off a cliff lol

Iron play has also improved significantly and has helped a lot

Fairway and hybrid game have improved. Still trying to regain my short game.

Iron play from 170 in has taken a large leap forward this year and a lot of it is due to the new irons. I just have a ton of confidence settled in behind my 919Fs! Been scoring mid to low 80s and feel if I can work on my driver distance I should be able to drop my scores to consistent low 80s.:golf2:

My pitching/chipping has improved in distance control, and accuracy. This in turn has helped my putting.

Another plus with my pitching improvement, is that my over all swing tempo/timing has improved with my other full swing shots. This has led to a little better accuracy.

Overall, maybe a savings of a stroke
or two per round.

My hybrid, long iron game has improved dramatically. Thanks to the Cobra line and Morgan Cup!! The SpeedZone hybrid and the Forged Tec longer irons have rocked for me. I've never hit more consistent hybrid, and the 5 and 6 irons. Love them!!

All aspects of my game have improved to some degree this year - partially due to new clubs and partially because I've been playing and practicing more than I ever have. Biggest improvements have been in irons and short game, followed by putting, with driver probably the least improved (but still improved significantly). I'm longer and more consistent with the driver, but still have swing flaws that get me in trouble with the big stick sometimes.

Looking back through my scores, I was averaging 85.4 strokes per round in August 2019. I'm averaging 82.7 so far in August 2020, so an average improvement of almost 3 strokes per round in those sample periods. My handicap index started the year at 17.5, rose to a high of 20.4 in March, and has since dropped to my present (all-time low!) 15.8.

Last edited:
Up until yesterday I would say I've improved dramatically across the board this year. Better driving, with fairway woods and irons, and at chipping. Over the past month I've been about 6-8 strokes below my long term average. Yesterday was absolutely awful, my worst round in at least 3 years, and was hopefully a one day aberration. I guess I wait to see what tomorrow brings.

My driving and my wedge game from full all the way down to greenside have made considerable jumps this year. I worked my *** off during the offseason to re-tool the driver swing, so that's been nice to see have benefits. The wedge work, especially full swing wedges, is also the byproduct of swing work to start the year.

I've taken my game management to a whole different level this year, too.

My index has dropped from 19.4 to 13.9. I think I'm doing a better job of keeping the ball in front of me and just getting it in the hole, even when there is ugliness along the way.

I think my wedge game has improved this year but my driver has regressed some. Overall I'm playing to within about 1 of my index from last year so not much change.

Most of my game has improved this year. I have practiced and played more than before. Had a real good stretch of low 80's but starting to creep back up. Played a couple of harder courses but I know I am not swinging as consistently and that has been costly. I think I got a bit too confident. I also think when I tend to have club more away from body my swing goes to crap

I’d say pretty much every part of my game has improved. I still have some trying days but overall I’ve improved from tee to green. This is now my 13 th month playing so I suspect I will see some better consistency still to come.

While my index has increased a few points, I feel like my wedge play has improved somewhat. I've always maintained that someday I'd learn how to use my wedges, and it seemed like once I committed to the new Vokeys I was instantly more consistent, even with my RTX4s before the Vokeys arrived. Now I'm not PGA tour level, but at least when I pull a wedge now I have a rough idea how many yards a certain length swing will get me.

I know it won't happen this year due to Covid, but I'm pretty sure during a normal year my index would get back down to where it was. If I could somehow figure out how to maintain better over the 5 month winter layoff I wouldn't have so much of a sharp rise/slow decline pattern season after season. I expect that adjusting to my new irons will keep me elevated for the remainder of the season, but hopefully after the adjustment period I can flirt with single digits again.

Having played MUCH more golf this year than I ever have, I feel that my game has improved a lot. Biggest improvements have been to iron play and putting. Still a lot of work to do with regard to my driver, but that will come.

It has been the year of golf for me. Improvement in my game all around.

🤓How Many :thp::welcome::thp:Have seen their golf game improve this year?

How many have seen it walk out the door 🚪 never to be seen again.

I have improved in Putting, but not much else:drinks:
All new bag last year so much more comfortable this year. Most notably with my driver. Cobra LTD. Also my 170-190 gap is so much more improved thanks to F9 hybrids, best hybrids I’ve ever hit. My score is two shots better this year than last

I have improved on just about everything this year other than maybe my iron play. I still struggle to consistently hit irons straight with consistent distance.

The improvements in other areas have probably knocked 5 strokes off my scores lately though. Mostly eliminating my massive driver slice has helped enormously with reducing my OB drives.

One thing that I have noticed is that I have focused so much on getting onto the green and improving my driving/getting off the tee box and irons and wedges that I am lazy on the green. My putting has gotten better. But not incrementally better. I am missing a couple putts a round that I definitely shouldn't. I have one mind blowing 3 putt every 9 holes at least. I usually make up for it with one or two one putts. I am averaging 2 putts per hole. I've only had one round in my last 10 that has been more than 2 a hole. Most have been 34-35. But that is deceptive because I miss a lot of greens and am inside 25 yards a lot for my up and down. I should be at 36 or under at a minimum if I am not hitting greens.

It’s been an all around improvement for me. I’m playing smarter and better from tee to green. I’ve put the work in on the sim and on the putting green and it’s definitely translated to the course.

Back