"in between" shaft flexes?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Do you go with less stiff heavier weight or more stuff lighter one?

(Outside of get fitted) is there any logic one way or another with this?

Less stiff, heavier usually seems better if you're struggling with timing it. Sometimes lighter and stiffer can amplify that.

I'm sure there's countless exceptions to that though, because shafts and swings are so different. I don't think a fitter would reach for the shaft for me that I'm playing right now. It'd be something heavier and stiffer.

Last edited:
Heavier and stiffer..... then swing faster

Weight I would go with a weight that will work with your tempo but also not have you to tired by number 15 or 16 that you have trouble finishing the round with good swings. As for flex I have always thought to go with the weakest flex that you can control.

I have always played "stiff" but I realize that represents a wide range anymore. I do have Project X 5.5 in my Callaway X-Forged and I think that's supposed to be kind of in between regular and stiff; they feel stiff to me really.

If I had the discretionary cash, I'd love to get properly fitted and be able to select optimal shafts throughout the bag.

Less stiff, heavier usually seems better if you're struggling with timing it. Sometimes lighter and stiffer can amplify that.

I'm sure there's countless exceptions to that though, because shafts and swings are so different. I don't think a fitter would reach for the shaft for me that I'm playing right now. It'd be something heavier and stiffer.

Definitely. One shaft's stiff can be different in another! I also think of the profile too. Like the Hulk shaft. Definitely playing 6.0 in that. But I've played 6.5 hzrdus shafts in the past.

I'm starting to go with heavier but flex lower until I can control category. Noticed for a lot of shafts, I'm loading way better even though I can still play the stiffer flex.

I would figure out the shaft and weight I wanted to play and then hard or soft step to get desired flex.

Do you go with less stiff heavier weight or more stuff lighter one?

(Outside of get fitted) is there any logic one way or another with this?

Do not assume either heavier or lighter will work better for you. Weight is not a universal thing. Everyone reacts differently to weight. When you’re truly in between flexes, hard step or soft step the shafts in irons and tip shafts in hybrids and woods. Hard stepping and soft stepping will change the flex by 1/3 each time.

I think I am seeing this issue also with the paderson 95 regular, the shaft feels great flex wise but my timing seems to be all over the place. I really have to think "smooth" or I tend to have poor results. With the 110 recoils F5 I had to think "hit it like you hate it" or results were poor, but there was no timing issue I just had to swing with purpose.

Now this is all on me and crappy swing mechanics but there has to be a happy place somewhere, and the difference in weight from the 110 recoil to the 95 paderson is quite small and since I built them both the SW was the same +/- a point or so.

SO now my feeble brain says the 110 paderson in reg may be the unicorn, but they are hard to find in the secondary market and at $80 each not to be sneezed at. I am going to give the 95 a few more rounds and see if I can settle into them before trying anything else.

Picked up a 6.0 70g to compare to my 6.5 60g

Back