In between shaft flexes..

Are you an aggressive or smooth transition player?
I think this is the question to answer, and then find a shaft profile that matches your swing. I'm a smooth transition swinger, and the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow and I just didn't get along. If I swung aggressively, I could hit a few really, really well. But, I also had a 2 way miss, and pulled a lot of shots left. It felt like it had no kick with my swing.

Now I play the HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue, and it feels more flexible, and it really had fit my swing well thus far. Both Stiff 6.0, but different flex profiles.

Some do make a TS. Halfway between a S and and X.

No one measures a damn thing the same way so ones X may be someone else’s S anyways.

Sounds like you my friend need a driver fitting. Or if we can hook up and play and you wanna just try one out, I can bring up an S flex in about the same weight. You’ll probably have to tip swap as I think both of my Conra tipped Shafts are in drivers in play.

Okay big dog! A fitting is starting to become a trending topic for me.

Play the lightest and most flexible shaft that you can control is what I've understood. But I also think that the type of shaft and its characteristics can play into things here. For instance, there's a big difference between a HZRDUS black and a Riptide even if they're both in 6.5 flex. And to that end, "it's not how fast you swing, it's how you swing fast."

Are you an aggressive or smooth transition player?

I feel like I have always been a more aggressive transition guy.

I have the HZRDUS Black X in both my 3 wood and hybrid and feel like I hit those just fine and have liked them.

My question to your question is should I work to get to an easier more smooth swing with the driver? Or swing my swing as they say..

I have the HZRDUS Black X in both my 3 wood and hybrid and feel like I hit those just fine and have liked them.

My question to your question is should I work to get to an easier more smooth swing with the driver? Or swing my swing as they say..
swing your swing. sure you can work on mechanics but in my opinion best to keep a natural tempo and swing. for me, i dont want to worry too much about it on the golf course.

swing your swing. sure you can work on mechanics but in my opinion best to keep a natural tempo and swing. for me, i dont want to worry too much about it on the golf course.

I believe the club (s) specifications influence the swing and, or, actually promote a type of swing. For example, too stout-stiff may cause over swinging and or too hard-fast paced tempo. Also, too light a shaft may cause a player to make too fast a tempo and, or, out of rhythm swings.
I think one of the primary problems of fitting during recent years is that fitters tend to put players in too light of a shaft weight (because during the fitting the light weight shaft produced the best numbers). But on the course I've noticed the lighter shaft (s) sometimes promote swing-shot problems for the player.

I believe the club (s) specifications influence the swing and, or, actually promote a type of swing. For example, too stout-stiff may cause over swinging and or too hard-fast paced tempo. Also, too light a shaft may cause a player to make too fast a tempo and, or, out of rhythm swings.
I think one of the primary problems of fitting during recent years is that fitters tend to put players in too light of a shaft weight (because during the fitting the light weight shaft produced the best numbers). But on the course I've noticed the lighter shaft (s) sometimes promote swing-shot problems for the player.
some GREAT points here. (y)

There's no such thing as "in between flexes", because no 2 companies have the same scale for stiffness anyways.

You just need a shaft that fits. Don't even look at flex.

This is what I came to post.

some GREAT points here. (y)

For my own game I've played rounds of golf with iron shafts weighing from 90 grams to 125 grams. And driver-fairway shafts weighing from 50 grams to 75 grams. From weight to weight my swing is significantly different, especially regarding tempo-rhythm.
Ben Hogan suggested many players would be best served swinging a driver that weighed one pound (which is approximately 50% heavier than current driver weights).

My advice, lol, I flat out suck right now, is hit it.

There’s a small amount of our life where we can just flat out beat the hell out of a golf ball. If you can do that, do it.

i was in the same boat until recently. i played everything X stiff (except wedges). i switched all to stiff flex and could not be hitting the ball better. for example, i was playing a 70g x/tx shaft in my driver (ventus, tensei, diamana, etc). Definitely took the left side out but when I missed, I missed badly. Now I’m in a PX RDX Black 70g profile in 6.0. Drawing the ball beautifully and not losing it both ways.

that said, instead of flex which is different per brand, i’d look at the shaft profile and weight. my woods are still mid/low launch low spin shafts, but flexed down.

i think it was already mentioned above, but the old general rule of thumb was play the softest shaft that you can control. i’d go get on a launch monitor and your local shop and try to hit as many different profiles as possible.

Love it, thanks!

My advice, lol, I flat out suck right now, is hit it.

There’s a small amount of our life where we can just flat out beat the hell out of a golf ball. If you can do that, do it.

Lol I was enjoying beating the heck out of the ball until I stopped hitting greens cause I am never in the fairway 🤦

I'm in a similar spot swing speed wise. Always played stiff but experimenting with some X flex in the longer clubs this year. So far I think the weight and general profile are a little more important than flex. I'm gravitating in most cases back to stout feeling stiff flex shafts instead of less stout feeling X stiff ones, but as others mentioned those are arbitrary designations to begin with...

I think this is the question to answer, and then find a shaft profile that matches your swing. I'm a smooth transition swinger, and the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow and I just didn't get along. If I swung aggressively, I could hit a few really, really well. But, I also had a 2 way miss, and pulled a lot of shots left. It felt like it had no kick with my swing.

Now I play the HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue, and it feels more flexible, and it really had fit my swing well thus far. Both Stiff 6.0, but different flex profiles.

I feel like I have no kick whatsoever with the X shaft. I played a couple different drivers tonight of other guys in the league and they were both stiff shafts. Hit the ball a lot better. And it was good to feel that explosion snap/kick at impact.

I've built up 3 shafts for a player that I'm trying to bring launch angle and spin down (I almost outdone his driver with my 4 iron cos it just went up and hung).
Two are TS which may be too much but the other is an S tipped 0.5in to see if we can go softer but still help bring launch down without going super hard.
Personally think there are too many options, good luck

I've built up 3 shafts for a player that I'm trying to bring launch angle and spin down (I almost outdone his driver with my 4 iron cos it just went up and hung).
Two are TS which may be too much but the other is an S tipped 0.5in to see if we can go softer but still help bring launch down without going super hard.
Personally think there are too many options, good luck

Soooo many options. Need to swing a bunch and have an honest person with integrity tell me what is best.

Soooo many options. Need to swing a bunch and have an honest person with integrity tell me what is best.
Then don't go into any of the stores where you can swing so many sadly, maybe you have a favorite brand from when it was working, work within their line?

Just over a year ago, I switched to an extra stiff shaft, and after a few weeks of things going fine my game off the tee crumbled. Before I made the switch, I checked my swing speed and it was in the range for an X, but on the lower end. I have been struggling even more as of late and have started to contemplate if I am in a shaft where I feel like I have to swing my hardest and that has lead to bad results.

Has anyone been in between driver shaft flexes? Which one did you choose?

I am not hitting fairways, which has completely taken away my GIR's.. I need to turn it around!

What’s your swing speed? Do you know your ball speed as well?

This is a tough nut to crack without a hands-on fitting but it can be done albeit with with some risk. Knowing your swing speed is important, as is knowing the profile of a shaft that does work for you. I am in a similar position as you (driver SS = 112) and knew that HZRDUS 6.0 was not stiff enough while Grafalloy ProLaunch and UST Proforce V2 in X flex were great. So I ended up with HZRDUS 6.0 flex tipped 1” over standard in driver and 4W, and standard UST Proforce V2 X flex in hybrid. Real flex is different across manufacturers and even across different product lines from the same manufacturer. If you like the 6.0/S flexes in your buddies’ clubs, you can always buy one and keep it over length initially, then tip trim if needed for stiffer feel or keep as-is and butt trim to desired length. You can’t reduce stiffness with 6.5/X flex though.

On paper I’m in between shaft flexes. The torque of a shaft plays a big part though. I’ve hit X stiff shafts that felt too whippy and stiff shafts that felt too stiff. I’d recommend doing a fitting or retrofitting to see what works best for you

i'm starting to wonder if i should book a fitting to test some stiffer shafts. swing changes are giving me some more speed. my goal would be tighten dispersion and improve consistency of contact, not change flight or spin.

The average golfer swings 95mph, right at every manufacturers break point between Regular and Stiff.

Golf club conspiracy!

Are you in between flexes or just need a different weight? I know this sounds odd but I learned so much more about shaft weight at the SHAFT UP event than I ever imagined I would.

Back