In to Out Swing Path

Shinko

Reaction score
Working with a new teacher and he wants me to work on covering the ball and changing my swing path from a few degrees out to in to a few degrees in to out.

To start out I am supposed to really exaggerate it to get the feel.

I wont be taking another lesson for a few weeks but will have time to work on a simulator a couple times.

Thoughts on accomplishing this or what the back swing should be like in order to transition to a swing that moves out to right at impact (left-handed). Does the “aiming point” four inches ahead of the ball change to be to the right of the ball a bit more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat (just starting the process) and struggling with the whole in to out swingpath.... so much so that I’m sure my buddy/instructor wants me to sell my driver and buy a bowling ball or something.... (or maybe i just need more swings and to trust the move.) Please let me know what sort of magic you‘ve successfully employed, once you get the hang of it. Good Luck!!

Will do, I had a little success moving the swing path in the right direction but my speed/ball striking quality suffered. Suppose it cannot all be fixed in one hour.

Following! I am currently in the camp of trying to make the same correction.

Working on this myself, I had an issue bouncing every iron shot off the hosel. I've started to work out of that using a mat with two rubber tee slots about a foot apart. What I am doing is lining up the toe of my iron in the back tee, swinging. And trying to make contact with the front tee while avoiding the back. You could I think I have about 80$ in the whole setup and it's multipurpose. I have one of the Tour plane strikers as well which works well but the path is much wider.

Actually a high quality mat for the money:

I ordered extra tees, it comes with 1 but I wanted different heights.

Another option and there are several variants to this:

I consider it important to understand the correct concept of an inside out swing path.
There are three elements to this -
1. The bal/ltarget line.
2. The path of the hands.
3. The path of the clubhead.
The ideal is that the swing axis - the upper spine remains fixed in place from the start of the downswing to past impact. The hands travel on a path parallel to the ball/target line from at least the 9 o'clock through the 6 o'clock to 3o'clock positions on both backswing and downswing. The clubhead trails behind the hands from the start of the downswing until impact.
The clubhead travels on two arcs - a vertical arc and a horizontal arc. The hands move on a vertical arc.

I've seen this diy swing aid used and it seems to work as far as showing what the club head swing path should be.

Materials are a 6' foot length of 1/2 inch pvc pipe, cut into 3, two foot lengths. Also two 1/2 inch pvc 45* degree els

When put together you have the shape of a partial 1/2 circle. If you stand inside the 1/2 circle you have an out, to straight, to back in again swing path. Using 1/2 of a hula hoop, while standing inside the ring would do the same thing.

The golfer uses the half circle as a club head path guide using slow slow swings. Forcing the club head to follow right path, trains the rest of the swing made up of the hands, wrist cock, and arms.

Another way to look at it is to stand inside the center of a clock face, facing th 12. For the right hander, the club head path is from 2, through 12, and back to 10. For lefties, the club head path would be from 10 through 12, and back to 2.

Still another way to look at it is using baseball terminology. The golfer stands at home plate with a square body alignment through 2nd base. Then swing the club head to right field. I've also read swing the club head to 1st base. Lefties would swing the club head to left field, or 3rd base.

Something was taught to do was to look for the "blur" of the moving club head moving from inside, straight into the ball, and back in again, without moving my head, or eyes off the ball's position. This works better with the larger wood club heads.

As for the correct back swing, I have always relied on the "one piece take away" to get to the top in a correct position to start my down swing. The one piece take away, when done correctly, eliminates a lot of back swing problems.

I consider it important to understand the correct concept of an inside out swing path.
There are three elements to this -
1. The bal/ltarget line.
2. The path of the hands.
3. The path of the clubhead.
The ideal is that the swing axis - the upper spine remains fixed in place from the start of the downswing to past impact. The hands travel on a path parallel to the ball/target line from at least the 9 o'clock through the 6 o'clock to 3o'clock positions on both backswing and downswing. The clubhead trails behind the hands from the start of the downswing until impact.
The clubhead travels on two arcs - a vertical arc and a horizontal arc. The hands move on a vertical arc.

this worked really well last night, thanks!

I am right handed but have the opposite problem - I tend to trend back to an in to out club path ... when I start a practice session, I must think "cut". My instructor wants me to open up the lower body and just slightly into the transition, I need to exaggerate the club head (not the grip) getting outside of my hands.

Weird game.

Need a portable LM that tells me club path.

Last edited:
Visual aid that costs nothing. Use the stripe on the range ball to line up with the in to out path. NOT the target. If grass, put a couple of tees on the out to in path and don’t hit them. That should help to “drop into the slot” for the in to out path

I fight out to in and working to be consistent in to out. The biggest thing I ever worked on in lessons was maintaining spine angle throughout the swing. If I can hold the spine tilt through the turn back and through I'm almost guaranteed to hit from the inside. If I stand up in my backswing I'm guaranteed to hit from over the top.

Also, devices I've used in the past from prior lessons with very good teachers.

A large traffic cone. Set up with the cone behind you at a point where it touches our shaft about 1/4 of the way up from the head. The takeway should cross outside the cone and then the downswing should come inside the cone. The teacher I got this from is a disciple of Mike Bender.

Another Mike Bender drill I was given is using the impact bag.

Last edited:
Visual aid that costs nothing. Use the stripe on the range ball to line up with the in to out path. NOT the target. If grass, put a couple of tees on the out to in path and don’t hit them. That should help to “drop into the slot” for the in to out path

where specifically do you place the tees?

Micheal Breed shows how to use a pool floaty thingy.... https://www.golfchannel.com/video/michael-breed-over-top-swing-remedies

You can use anything to create that "wall" that you just want to miss with your clubhead....box, cushion etc.

As stated earlier, it really helps to know what your body and hands need to be doing to get the club travelling on the correct path.

I changed my swing from a mild OTT O-I to an I-O swing. Because I am physically strong, that swing worked pretty well with swing speed coming from my upper body. I hit controllable fades and could get right to left by trapping the ball in a pull draw. I wasn’t necessarilly looking to change path — I think O-I is fine —but in the process of taking out the OTT, my path changed. There are many technical aspects but for me there were a couple of key ideas.

I am leery of posting my swing thoughts — I’m just a golfer trying to learn and improve — but maybe these can be helpful. They helped me, although none of my changes happened quickly. It was a slow progression.
  • Start swing with lower body. Key for me was firing the hips (rotate) and let the upper body follow. Harder change than I expected.
  • My takeaway was too shallow. I now see this in many golfers. Trying to swing I-O we exagerage a shallow takeaway. The problem is that there is no option but OTT to get around the body on the downswing.
  • Weight shift. Post up on left leg. So many fall back on a swing. I do walk through swings all the time.
  • Maintain spine angle. I liked to come up early. Hitting down on the ball in a good swing and path can’t happen without keeping the spine on plane through impact.
  • Flipping the wrists. The dynamics of path and impact get wild when we flIp the ball.

I changed my swing from a mild OTT O-I to an I-O swing. Because I am physically strong, that swing worked pretty well with swing speed coming from my upper body. I hit controllable fades and could get right to left by trapping the ball in a pull draw. I wasn’t necessarilly looking to change path — I think O-I is fine —but in the process of taking out the OTT, my path changed. There are many technical aspects but for me there were a couple of key ideas.

I am leery of posting my swing thoughts — I’m just a golfer trying to learn and improve — but maybe these can be helpful. They helped me, although none of my changes happened quickly. It was a slow progression.
  • Start swing with lower body. Key for me was firing the hips (rotate) and let the upper body follow. Harder change than I expected.
  • My takeaway was too shallow. I now see this in many golfers. Trying to swing I-O we exagerage a shallow takeaway. The problem is that there is no option but OTT to get around the body on the downswing.
  • Weight shift. Post up on left leg. So many fall back on a swing. I do walk through swings all the time.
  • Maintain spine angle. I liked to come up early. Hitting down on the ball in a good swing and path can’t happen without keeping the spine on plane through impact.
  • Flipping the wrists. The dynamics of path and impact get wild when we flIp the ball.
This is well said, thanks! I like seeing this because these are all things I've landed on as I try to work to improve my swing during the dead of winter here in VT. It's shocking how difficult it is to implement swing changes. Each swing I'll know what I did wrong even when I'm consciously trying to do something different 🤣

where specifically do you place the tees?

Well, the lead tee would be ahead of the ball, closer to the inside, trail tee is toward the outside. All you want is a visualization of a path coming from the inside. Some those other training devices, IMO, can cause a a bit of timidity because you don’t want to smash them with a full swing. A couple of tees are cheap and who cares if you hit them on a full swing. You hit a tee on every tee shot, right? You don’t worry about breaking anything going all out.
The location of the tees can be easily moved around to suit your particular needs, and replaced if you nick one. Eventually, you can tighten the “gate” to really groove the path. When used with the stripe on the ball to reinforce that inside out path, it is essentially a free training aid.
Oh, and when actually playing, it isn’t against the rules to use the logo script or alignment line as a guide to remind you of that path you want. Can’t drag out the sticks, pool noodles, or whatever when you’re on course!!

look forward to trying out your suggestions

Did your instructor not give you a way to work on this? Whenever we're trying to make a chance, my instructor will give me one or two drills or thoughts to work on.

Did your instructor not give you a way to work on this? Whenever we're trying to make a chance, my instructor will give me one or two drills or thoughts to work on.

just asked me to exaggerate it and out a towel down on the outside for me to hit towards. Was looking for other ideas/ ways to think about it.

working on this too with my instructor. I am still stuck inside swinging off a mat hitting a little pom pom (great idea I saw somewhere on here). I also purchased the divot board which from reviews seems to tell club path and more. Once I get outside I will use pool noodle to also ensure in to out swing while swinging in back yard. When I was recently down in Florida, I did hit a driving range and low and behold was able to draw the ball at times. Unfortunately, the rounds of golf I played I reverted back to old form and had too many inconsistent spastic swings.

This is the year I hope to score only in the 80's and hopefully stay low 80's and actually know why things go off the rails. I also agree with previous post of practicing 1/2 swings etc then working up to full swings then with speed. Before I was just all speed and way to spastic while practicing and on the golf course. Golf is precision like pool or darts IMHO, then add power and speed when you get consistent ball striking.

Please let me get there this year

I struggled for a long time with this. Even with lessons and Golftec. Always trying to swing right, etc... but I always reverted to a steepness in my swing that led to a two way miss.
What finally changed for me was really using my lower body to drive the downswing and just let the arms and hands drop due to gravity.
A great drill I was given for this was to feel like there’s a wall behind me that the club head will touch at the top. Then start the downswing with my lower body weight shift AND feel like the club head stays touching along that wall until you’re ready to post up and release. It takes a bit of slow motion action to get it but slowly you’ll be coming from the inside.

Last edited:
It was a year of lessons and drills to go from an out to in to an in to out. It was hard. But it has definitely helped me in long room. Still not the best striking but completely eliminated any big misses with my irons. Pretty much now my irons are straight or a slight draw. I may miss left or right now but it is just because of aim for the most part. No banana slices or duck hooks.

Back