Incredibly rude/poor etiquette

Scratchnurse

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Has this ever happened to you guys? I was playing with a buddy from work. He'd been Golfing a few times before, so we weren't going to be very fast today. So we're stuck behind a fairly slow can't find their ball foursome but they were nice, offered to let us play through but we declined because he was fairly slow as well and no one was behind us. Wasn't too bad, about 6 of the 9 holes we'd have to wait a few minutes, no big deal. So on the 9th hole this grandfather and granddaughter twosome roll up while we are waiting for them to clear the fairway. The grandfather announces that they are going to play through because we weren't going to make them wait. I explained that we had been waiting behind the foursome most of the day, but they should tee up with us so they don't have to wait. Everyone hits their tee-shot, we get up to everyone's shot, everyone hits and then we finally get up to my ball the guy drives through my shot and up ahead. As we get up there he's putting from just off the green, and his granddaughter standing by her ball practicing her shot. He then goes and tends the flag for his granddaughter walking through my shot again, and then after she chips he pulls the flag and encourages her to hit her putt(15ft) while they are both standing in my shot landing zone.

I was just flabbergasted. Was going to say something to him, but they were only playing nine so figured better to hold my tongue.

Yep. The old it's all about me syndrome. The bad thing is the old b@stard is teaching a young person all the wrong things.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

What do you mean driving through your shot?

Nothing this bad has ever happened to me.

Worst thing happened to me was when an extremely slow four-some of 70+ year old ladies were driving around the fairway looking for their balls and not letting me play through (I was a single). This happened for 3 straight holes when I finally said, screw it, skipped the hole they were on and moved ahead.

I talked to the Club pro after the fact, and apparently no amount of talking to has changed the attitude of those ladies. Several people have complained about them too, which begs the question as to why the Club has not done anything about it. :question:

What do you mean driving through your shot?

So instead of walking through my shot line when I'm about to hit, he drove his cart through it .

Hats off for holding your tongue, I am not sure I could have, that is too rude.

I believe you did the right thing especially since they were just playing 9

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nothing this bad has ever happened to me.

Worst thing happened to me was when an extremely slow four-some of 70+ year old ladies were driving around the fairway looking for their balls and not letting me play through (I was a single). This happened for 3 straight holes when I finally said, screw it, skipped the hole they were on and moved ahead.

I talked to the Club pro after the fact, and apparently no amount of talking to has changed the attitude of those ladies. Several people have complained about them too, which begs the question as to why the Club has not done anything about it. :question:

It's the same way with ladies not letting you merge on the thruway. :alien:

I had the same thing happen though. Was playing a quick 9 as a single and caught up with a foursome of ladies on hole #5. I proceeded to wait on every hole only to have them hustle off the next tee every time. They saw me standing there on every hole too and there was no one in front of them. I walked past them in the parking lot and gave them an earful.

Just hit a nice rolling shot onto the green and meet them on the next tee box.

So instead of walking through my shot line when I'm about to hit, he drove his cart through it .

Yeah that is just rude. For a minute I thought you meant he went to the green when he hit it and you missed way short.

I had one incident last year that I can't blame on rude but it falls into the bizarre! A totally new person that didn't have a clue about etiquette, the course layout, etc.

I got hooked up with a threesome on the first tee. I usually play alone but was into the mode of trying to get the feel of playing with others. We are around the green on #2 and a guy says who is that lady in the cart going up the apron to #1? She then proceeds to ride around the fringe and park on the backside of the green. Someone called the pro shop and a kid was up there with her for a little bit. From the looks of it she could have been on the green. We get to the #3 tee box (dog leg left up the hill) and notice this woman driving over to #3 green area. She must have tee'd off from the mens tee on #2 over to #3 which is probably 60 to 70 yards. What the hell! We all hit our shots to the end of the fairway. It looks like she is done on #3 and hopefully will be long gone. Her cart is parked near the ladies tee box on the par 3 #4. One guy is taking a few practice swings near his ball just off the fringe as her cart pulls up near the green's topside. She was all duded up in nice golf attire and was pretty as all get out. He's getting ready to hit and she reaches down and picks up his ball. I'm trying not to laugh as he says that's my ball. A little back and forth went on about who's ball it was. He was playing ProV1. I sure hope someone didn't sell her those. The other guy in the group is trying to explain to her about not driving the carts near the greens. Well, we all are but there is a communication breakdown between our English and I think her Chinese. He even walks away from the green trying to explain how far away the cart should be. Another is telling her about the #2 hole. It's not registering at all. My concentration on putting went out the window and I just wanted to move on. Our party goes over to the #4 tee box, par 3 that is 140 yards downhill. As we are driving down to the hole, I notice her hitting a few wedge shots but never did see her putt it out. We are lining up our putts and the one guy says look out I think she ready to hit up there. Another says she will never get it here. I hear yelling, no no no as she takes a full cut and proceeds to hit it between the bunker and green. Not a bad shot except when you are in the line of fire. She hops in the cart and proceeds to drive between the two sand bunkers (maybe a cart and a half width) and park right on the fringe. Once again, he's trying to explain things in a very nice way as another is calling the pro shop. She got in her cart and then goes over by hole #2 as we are heading to #5 tee. By the time the guy from the pro shop got out there, she was riding near the fringe on #4 once again. Out game ground to a halt as the talking was going on. He pulled the plug on her and kicked her out. If I was alone, I would have been more than happy to take a new person out on the course. I would have driven knowing what I seen! Don't know how much advice could have been given but it beats watching someone that hasn't got a clue that they could wreck a course in no time.

The next day I'm out and low and behold who do I see but this woman and her man.

I just cannot ever imagine being this rude...also, I would have had to call the guy out on his behavior, had I been in OP's shoes. So good on you for being able to bite your tongue.

I just cannot ever imagine being this rude...also, I would have had to call the guy out on his behavior, had I been in OP's shoes. So good on you for being able to bite your tongue.

not with the child present I wouldn't have. I would have felt bad for her to have to stand there uncomfortably and maybe even intimidated while her granddad was involved in possible unpleasant atmosphere. For her sake I would've let it go.

Yeah that's pretty bad. It's really too bad that he's passing that type of etiquette down to his granddaughter.

Back