indicators of too soft of a shaft

BillNorCal

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering if a certain ball flight or face contact indicates a soft shaft?

I've been working to improve my iron swing and now I can't hit my driver. Contact has been on the toe and ball flight is strong fade or slice. I'm losing distance as well.

I'd look at the swing first.

I'd go get your swing and then the club looked at. My guess is the shaft is too stiff - your toe shots should normally try to work back left instead of what you've described.

One free check you can do on your own is to go to a Golfsmith or similar and measure your clubhead speed on the driver. Then just look at the recommendations:

http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=learn_how5

Yeah you're probably right. Frustrating game! Hit woods well and irons suck. Hit irons well and woods suck.

I think when you start needing a blue pill you might be losing some stiffness.

I'd go get your swing and then the club looked at. My guess is the shaft is too stiff - your toe shots should normally try to work back left instead of what you've described.

One free check you can do on your own is to go to a Golfsmith or similar and measure your clubhead speed on the driver. Then just look at the recommendations:

http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=learn_how5

I agree. I'd find a qualified teaching pro in your area first and get the swing fixed and then the shaft.

I agree with what the others have said, however, with that being said, I got a new driver earlier this year and struggled with consistency. I also got some new irons with heavier shafts and felt like I was making a really good swing with them. Couldn't hit the driver for anything. Took it to my club fitter and told him I just couldn't "feel" the club because it seemed too light. We checked the swing weight on it, C5!!!!! That's 7 swingweight points lower than my irons!!!!! NO WONDER! Went to work with some lead tape and changed the fujikura fuel stiff shaft to a Matrix Red tie regular and presto, bombs right down the pipe! Long story short, make sure your driver fits you too!

Back