Indoor Golf Simulator

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Just wondering how many of you have given these a try. I've been invited to play at one in a couple of weeks by a friend I played golf this summer with. Never have tried one before. What was your impressions of them?

I am starting next week in a league with a simulator (Trackman). I will also take a lesson on a simulator. First time for both. I'm really excited. I have hit twice now this year at a local facility setup with gcQuad simulators. I like it. It is different, maybe even easier in some ways than hitting outdoors. I love the numbers. Haven't "played" a round yet.

I have a Skytrak and love it. The only issue you might have to overcome is the indoor swing. It took me a while to get used to swinging full tilt inside but now I have no issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Skytrak and love it. The only issue you might have to overcome is the indoor swing. It took me a while to get used to swinging full tilt inside but now I have no issues with it.

I really want to get a Skytrak. With such a long winter it's on the top of my wish list.

I also have a skytrak and love it. It is nice being able to practice anytime I want

I played in an indoor winter league many years ago, it’s was fine. Putting was entertaining, otherwise it was cool.

I don’t play in a winter league but I do try to log 4-6 hours a month at a local place that utilizes Trackman. I’m a big fan as it allows me to keep hitting balls through the cold weather and I enjoy being able to play a round or two in a short period of time.

My wife bought me an Optishot last year for Christmas, I would like to compare it to a Skytrak one day but it does seem to track my miss fairly well. Now if only I could stop hitting a pull draw off the toe of my irons. It does not always pick up my woods when I hit them due to the design but it will pick up my Louisville Persimmon Driver that I use to help me find the sweet spot.

My instructor has an indoor facility, so yes, I have used simulators quite a bit - he moved from using GC2+HMT -> GCQuad -> Trackman

My lessons have been very useful for me with providing the various numbers, but I don't get too wrapped up in them, they are just an addition to what I feel in my swing and see on the screen

Playing rounds is just a bit of fun (we usually set the machine to auto-putt rather than try and figure all that out) and it obviously allows you to play courses that potentially you will never have access to

If I was being critical, the only thing I would prefer is a bigger bay but the layout of the building prohibits it without reducing space for the movable putting green and gym area that he also has, or losing at least one of the bays if not more

I play 2-3 times a month and it's at least something to do. Putting and chipping sucks so we set up gimmes to help. My biggest complaint is that I have a weird release with driver and I brush the top of the hitting bay net sometimes with it which really messes with me. Plus it can leave little marks on my driver.

When we built our house last year I was planning on putting a full swing golf simulator in the basement. But we could no pour the basement to 12’ without having a grinder pump on the sewage discharge. Plus my wife was not thrilled about adding $100k+ to the build for a freaking simulator.
This is what I was looking at.
BDFE0F2E-EF8F-43F8-B073-6EB78A639B2C.jpeg

with that being said I’m still looking for a way to get one in the house. I may jackhammer the basement floor and dig down to put one in.

My range just upgraded their sims to the latest 'Full Swing' version. It always had a couple sim bays but I was never impressed enough to join their winter leagues. I was in there a couple days ago and the proprietor asked me to test the accuracy. He said some were complaining it was shorting their drives the day before (install day). psshh - just typical golfers who assume they hit it further than they do. I swung various clubs, full shots, partial scoring shots, calling out numbers and L/R dispersion I expected to the proprietor before sim would update. I was so impressed with the accuracy and realistic graphics that I called a buddy and signed us up for league on the spot. Our first round is Sunday. Putting and chipping isn't perfect but much much better than previous setup. Besides I'm such a poor short putter I'm looking forward to those 6 foot gimmies in league.

I have Skytrak too! love it, I still go to an indoor place for League. It gets me by through some tough winter months

I built a simulator 2 years ago in my pole barn, using an Optishot2. Best thing I ever did, keeps me swinging all winter. With the room complete and everything in place, if I ever upgrade (thinking Skytrak), it should be a simple plug and play. Swinging all winter has really helped my game.

Attachments

• golf.jpg
    golf.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 33
  • golf2.jpg
    golf2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 32
Went to an indoor simulator with my uncle and brother today.

I wasn't too impressed, the shots were very inconsistent and the chipping the putting was just plain annoying.

I have a SkyTrak with just the driving range and it was more consistent than their system.

I own an optishot and it is pretty fun. Would mind something nicer but I really don’t think you can beat it for the price. There are some indoor Places near me but I am always skeptical of the accuracy of those places. As mentioned before putting and chipping are really tough.

It's great for full swings. Anything from 80 yards in is a crapshoot. If you play pitch and run, you are punished on our setup. Putting is mot too realistic, but all are good ways to work on the various swings. As bad as the short game sim is, I credit it for the improvement in my outdoor game. The sim taught me to go for a ceratin kind of shot and to trust my swing. Hitting off a mat is definitely harder on the joints. That said, this is like my sixth year playing in an indoor winter league. Last few years, I've played more indoors than out. Gotta change that next spring.

My range just upgraded their sims to the latest 'Full Swing' version. It always had a couple sim bays but I was never impressed enough to join their winter leagues. I was in there a couple days ago and the proprietor asked me to test the accuracy. He said some were complaining it was shorting their drives the day before (install day). psshh - just typical golfers who assume they hit it further than they do. I swung various clubs, full shots, partial scoring shots, calling out numbers and L/R dispersion I expected to the proprietor before sim would update. I was so impressed with the accuracy and realistic graphics that I called a buddy and signed us up for league on the spot. Our first round is Sunday. Putting and chipping isn't perfect but much much better than previous setup. Besides I'm such a poor short putter I'm looking forward to those 6 foot gimmies in league.

That’s good to hear Dan. The old simulators in there were not very accurate. Holler at me some time and we will meet there for a session

I put a gc2 sim in over a year ago. No regrets. Keeps my swing grooved during the long winter months.

Played some holes on a Trackman simulator yesterday. It’s different but fun. Putting is stupid and chipping is awkward. I chip and pitch by visual and feel. Figuring out a 32 foot chip on the sim is a different experience. I also chose a course in NY at sea level. Going from Tracman’s range (local elevation 5000’) to a sea level course I was coming up short on approach shots. ? We start our league this week. It is vastly better than not golfing and might even help me improve my game.?

I have wanted an indoor setup for a long time, but have come to believe I just cannot hit into a screen - especially with the longer clubs. I feel too confined or claustrophobic. Maybe if there were more space than what the local PGATSS provides and/or, I could see the full projection of the ball flight, I could adapt? The PGATSS space is just too dang small and then I have to look back at a monitor to see what the ball did. Anyone else struggle hitting in these cages?

I have wanted an indoor setup for a long time, but have come to believe I just cannot hit into a screen - especially with the longer clubs. I feel too confined or claustrophobic. Maybe if there were more space than what the local PGATSS provides and/or, I could see the full projection of the ball flight, I could adapt? The PGATSS space is just too dang small and then I have to look back at a monitor to see what the ball did. Anyone else struggle hitting in these cages?
I struggled with the same feeling but I put a Skytrak setup in my garage last year and was able to get over it. The indoor swing phenomenon people talk about is real and definitely takes awhile to gain the confidence to swing freely.

I struggled with the same feeling but I put a Skytrak setup in my garage last year and was able to get over it. The indoor swing phenomenon people talk about is real and definitely takes awhile to gain the confidence to swing freely.
I tried twice to get into the PGATSS hitting bays to get some numbers for my drivers and the LAGP shafts and, both times, I ran out of time before I could adjust to hitting even my 7 iron. Has practicing on the setup helped your game?

Hitting longer clubs on a sim definitely takes some getting used to. With driver through long irons, I feel like I'm at gun shooting range hitting a target from 10 feet away. Just the sound of impact on the screen is disconcerting. It helped me to just hit some crazy shots. I did things like hit driver off the deck and purposefully hit 4i as hard as I could over a 150 yard par 3. My buddy the teaching pro was getting nervous at my choices. :cool: That loosened me up, and I think I will easily adapt to the context. I'm having fun.

Back