Indoor Golf Simulator

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Had my first experience playing golf today indoors. Played 18 with a couple of friends there. We played a course called Kings Bairn Golf Club. A Scottish links course. The name of the indoor golf facility where I played is called Legendsindoorgolf. I had a great time, it took me awhile to get used to hitting a golf ball of a carpet though.

Last edited:
I have never played an indoor course....how do you putt?

I have never played an indoor course....how do you putt?

The same way you would when you hit either driver or irons. You just roll the ball from the sensor toward the screen. It took some getting used to. :unsure:

A friend of a friend just opened one locally. Looking forward to getting some winter swings in this year!

A friend of a friend just opened one locally. Looking forward to getting some winter swings in this year!

The experience surprised me somewhat. I had a lot more fun then I anticipated. :)

Yeah short game on sims is not very good. It does take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping is by far the worst and I like to set the gimme distance fairly high because putting is pretty iffy too.

I have a gc2. I put putts on 8 foot gimmes. Also, it’s hard to bump and run anything from off the green so I find I have to fly it to the hole with my 58.

Chipping is by far the worst and I like to set the gimme distance fairly high because putting is pretty iffy too.

This is my experience as well. Beyond those quirky aspects, I am finding the simulators I have played surprisingly good. The terrain and physics models used are impressive. It starts to feel real, real quick.

I have a gc2. I put putts on 8 foot gimmes. Also, it’s hard to bump and run anything from off the green so I find I have to fly it to the hole with my 58.

Since myself and one of the other guys playing yesterday were newbies to the simulator we had the gimme distance set to 16 ft.

Mine is usually set to 10 or 15 feet.

This is my experience as well. Beyond those quirky aspects, I am finding the simulators I have played surprisingly good. The terrain and physics models used are impressive. It starts to feel real, real quick.

Yeah I know. The course we played yesterday, the 10th hole was a dog leg left around a water hazard. The was a 12 ft high fence all the way down the left side of the fairway with the water of to the left of the fence. For some reason my ball kept wanting to go onto the beach outside the wall. Took a 15 on that hole. :banghead: :laughing:

That's awesome, fairwaynut.

It seems like there's a lot of opportunity in the west 'burbs. I might have to look and see if there's anything a little further out. We're visiting my sis in Batavia in a couple weeks and I'll have my clubs with me since we're flying from there to Dallas. It's kind of on my winter bucket list to do, and like you said, I need practice hitting off a mat too. The couple times I've done it at stores, it just seems so foreign. Besides the feel and sound on contact, I can't really 'aim' at a screen. My mind can't seem to reconcile it. I should have played more video games growing up.

How was it playing a links course? Should have been pretty different than the course experiences by you.

That's awesome, fairwaynut.

It seems like there's a lot of opportunity in the west 'burbs. I might have to look and see if there's anything a little further out. We're visiting my sis in Batavia in a couple weeks and I'll have my clubs with me since we're flying from there to Dallas. It's kind of on my winter bucket list to do, and like you said, I need practice hitting off a mat too. The couple times I've done it at stores, it just seems so foreign. Besides the feel and sound on contact, I can't really 'aim' at a screen. My mind can't seem to reconcile it. I should have played more video games growing up.

How was it playing a links course? Should have been pretty different than the course experiences by you.

The course we played called Kingsbarns Links. It was really alot of fun. It's a good thing we played a links style course instead of some course with alot trees, my score might have been 150 instead of 98. :laughing:

Simulator golf is one of the best ways to improve quickly. It gets you to really concentrate on how far you actually hit the ball.
Depending on the system chipping has to be tailored to how that system sees the ball but the distances still ring true.
I actually believe what will hurt your game is trying to putt on a Sim. It's near impossible to get any sort of feel for distance. It's far better to just let the sim program do the outting for you. Then putt on a mat at your house or somewhere else when you have time.
Plus now when the weather breaks you are ready to go and have all your distances solidly in your head. It has shaved a ton of strokes from my game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If I ever feel like shanking a ball I'll just play sim golf and it'll happen 50% of my chips. I think we do 6 foot gimmes to help a bit.

Looks like a lot of fun. Wish we had something like that around me.

Yeah short game on sims is not very good. It does take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been to quite a few simulators, the putting is always the most difficult. Usually put like a 10' diameter around the flagstick to move play along. You could spend most of your sim time just on the green.

Back