So my goal each week was 5 km 5 times per week or 25 km each week.

Blew by that: 34.85 km for March 1-7

It has been quite some time that I checked this thread. Had a lot of work to do and also some private things to manage. However, the guys having an active trainings partner connection with me on the Logbook might have seen that I am still rowing... however, my volume dropped significantly in February. Despite this disappointing development I am happy to report that I achieved one of my personal goals: I‘ve lost 15kg in 3 months since December 1st. This means that I am not overweight anymore the first time in the last 10 years.
In addition, I noticed a few more effects:
- way less caffeine intake (without trying to lower it conciously)
- way lower resting heart rate (37-40 bpm)
- one to two club length increase in my Golf game! Definitely one of the best effects :D

It has been quite some time that I checked this thread. Had a lot of work to do and also some private things to manage. However, the guys having an active trainings partner connection with me on the Logbook might have seen that I am still rowing... however, my volume dropped significantly in February. Despite this disappointing development I am happy to report that I achieved one of my personal goals: I‘ve lost 15kg in 3 months since December 1st. This means that I am not overweight anymore the first time in the last 10 years.
In addition, I noticed a few more effects:
- way less caffeine intake (without trying to lower it conciously)
- way lower resting heart rate (37-40 bpm)
- one to two club length increase in my Golf game! Definitely one of the best effects :D
Those are some great improvements/benefits!

I never thought to check my resting HR before. I know mine was normally pretty low (more of a genetic thing I think - my dad had a low HR & he was a heavy smoker who had 3 bypass surgeries). But i just checked mine & it's at 57 which I think might be lower than normal for me. I'll start monitoring this more.

Anyway - time to row.

Those are some great improvements/benefits!

I never thought to check my resting HR before. I know mine was normally pretty low (more of a genetic thing I think - my dad had a low HR & he was a heavy smoker who had 3 bypass surgeries). But i just checked mine & it's at 57 which I think might be lower than normal for me. I'll start monitoring this more.

Anyway - time to row.

Never gave my RHR much of a thought before either! But I am wearing pretty consistently my Apple Watch. While it gave me now and then a low heart rate warning when I slept, since end of December it started to alert me even when sitting on the sofa... and my heart rate was dropping further and further (lowest measured heart rate was 34 - when I was cooking dinner ...). I consulted my physician as I was a bit concerned (ok, to be hones it was more of the Misses who was concerned :D). He sent my straight away to the cardiologist who figured that I am absolutely fine... just a very big outlier of the norm, which is a good thing ... the lower your resting heart rate the higher chances are that you might live very long :)
Bad thing is I had to turn off all heart rate warning features of the Apple Watch as it is not designed to work with my physiological conditions as it turned out...

And 8 km row is finished.

What I'm finding is how much I enjoy this kind of workout. I've always liked to run, but rowing is easier in a way (easier on my knees & feet) and harder - in a good way. I can feel how much stronger my core muscles are after 2 months of rowing. Same with arms/shoulders - benefits I don't get from running or even biking.

Never gave my RHR much of a thought before either! But I am wearing pretty consistently my Apple Watch. While it gave me now and then a low heart rate warning when I slept, since end of December it started to alert me even when sitting on the sofa... and my heart rate was dropping further and further (lowest measured heart rate was 34 - when I was cooking dinner ...). I consulted my physician as I was a bit concerned (ok, to be hones it was more of the Misses who was concerned :D). He sent my straight away to the cardiologist who figured that I am absolutely fine... just a very big outlier of the norm, which is a good thing ... the lower your resting heart rate the higher chances are that you might live very long :)
Bad thing is I had to turn off all heart rate warning features of the Apple Watch as it is not designed to work with my physiological conditions as it turned out...

I can see how that might freak people out. I remember Miguel Indurain (who won 5 consecutive Tours de France) had a resting HR in the low 30's and I thought "Geez - that doesn't sound possible" lol!

I can see how that might freak people out. I remember Miguel Indurain (who won 5 consecutive Tours de France) had a resting HR in the low 30's and I thought "Geez - that doesn't sound possible" lol!
Yeah, I knew that elite athletes do have very low RHR. But I did not regularly work out until December last year and was quite a lot overweight. So for me it seemed very unlikely that I would have obtained elite level fitness after just one month of heavy rowing schedule ;)

Still one more day to go for 2nd week of March, but already way past my weekly of 25 km:

33.27 km for March 8-13

I'm curious to wear a HR monitor & see what my HR looks like during rowing & compare it to resting HR.

Another rowing session this morning: 39.5 km for days 7-14 in March.

I'm on pace to row 150 km this month - which is nice.

27.1 km for days 15-21 in March.
Work is making this pace lower for the next week or so.

27.1 km for days 15-21 in March.
Work is making this pace lower for the next week or so.
You are putting in some really awesome effort here! Keep it up - you can do it! :)

My month is not that great sports wise. Only one round of Golf and also rowing is way behind my goals. However, that was to be expected. Work is crazy and in addition we are still renovating our new home every weekend which includes more than 1300km travelling by car per weekend :(

However, just wanted to remind all of you that the World Erg Challenge has started on 15th March. There is still time to participate with our THP team. I‘ve so far contributed 40km, but every Meter counts!

Glad I found this thread. I've owned a Concept 2 Model D for about 2 months now. I started the beginner Pete plan when I first got it, but lately just trying to get 5k-6k in at least 4-5 days a week.

I love rowing. When I was a kid in Scouts, I had access to rowboats and sculling rigs. It was a ton of fun.

I have always enjoyed rowing at the gym as well. I let my gym membership go a while back, and that is the one activity that I really miss. I don’t have room for a rowing machine here at the house, when we finally move, it is one of the first things that I will add.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Glad I found this thread. I've owned a Concept 2 Model D for about 2 months now. I started the beginner Pete plan when I first got it, but lately just trying to get 5k-6k in at least 4-5 days a week.
That's my goal too. Seems to be working so far.
I recently noticed definition in my quads that I haven't seen since my 20's. This rowing stuff works!

1617298025711.png
118.63 km for March. Let's see if I can do better in April.

I decided to go for the April Fools' Challenge:

At least 1,000 meters per day (multiplied by the date) from 4/1 through 4/15. The last 5 days might require multiple sessions for me but should be doable

Finished April with 140 km.

So far this year, I have rowed 405.6 km - which is equivalent to me rowing from Browns stadium in CLE to Bengals stadium in CIN.

Next step: rowing to Nashville.

After 2 months hiatus due to relocating I‘ve finally set up my erg again. First session yesterday, another today. I need to rebuild a lot of fitness seem to have lost in the last couple of days.
anyways, I‘d like to kindly remind all THP rowing Team members that the Fall Challenge starts on Wednesday. Please sign up to make your effort count for the Team. 🙂👍

After 2 months hiatus due to relocating I‘ve finally set up my erg again. First session yesterday, another today. I need to rebuild a lot of fitness seem to have lost in the last couple of days.
anyways, I‘d like to kindly remind all THP rowing Team members that the Fall Challenge starts on Wednesday. Please sign up to make your effort count for the Team. 🙂👍
I've jumped back in to rowing again also, albeit slower than what I had wanted. I've been contemplating upgrading to something higher quality but need to use my current one consistently to prove the investment is worth it.

In the meantime I'm still using my cheapo and doing Dark Horse Rowing videos on YouTube. Those have been really helpful giving me purpose to each workout.

I’m waiting to get my strength back after Covid- but I need to get back into a routine

I figured there would be a thread on rowing machines. Bingo! I have built out a pretty nice home gym over this past year. After COVID, I fell out of a good workout routine because the gyms were closed and put on a little weight. I figured it was worth the investment. I bought a high end Echelon bike and rowing machine. The rowing machine kicks my rear end much more than the bike. If I could only have one piece of equipment in my home, it would be the rowing machine.

Finally, Apple Fitness+ launched here in Germany yesterday. I directly jumped on the trial month and did my first guided workout today.
boy oh boy, am I unfit. Did a 20mins workout with „Josh“. Charming guy, always smiling…even when going into the fourth full power interval… I do not like Josh 😂
So in essence: I enjoyed the session. It was something different and - even though I‘m totally destroyed now - fun. However, I will not do it for every row as it’s something totally different than a nice relaxing steady work workout.
anyone else here who has an opinion on those guided workouts?

Recovering from Covid in September (& catching up on all the work) wrecked my routine. But...I also didn't keep up with it over the summer.

So, I'm rededicating myself to rowing as my base exercise. I intend to do this every day (5 km goal) and then everything else is in addition to the daily rowing.
As of this morning, my year-to-date total is: 472,353 m. I'm going to see if I can get to 500 km before 2022 starts.

One thing: This is good for me on days when I feel sore/beat up. Yesterday I went hard with the dumbells on chest/shoulders & this morning I felt like I could barely lift my arms.
I forced myself onto the rower & 5000 m later, I feel a lot better.

My rowing mentor:
1640271433549.png
Just keep rowing!

We got rid of our unused Bowflex and bought a Nordic Track RW700 machine earlier this year. I started out all gung-ho on it, then Summer got in the way. We did a lot of kayaking this year, which is a completely different action, but it was still a good workout. I need to get back on the rower now that kayak and bike season is done for us.

I had no idea what a great workout rowing is. I really enjoy it.

Back