Indoor Simulator Build with Skytrak/Gc2

My buddy got his hands on an old golf simulator. I can't remember the brand but it's 20 years old or so. It is a complete package with the screen that you hit in to and the sides, he has it in a big heated Building. He is looking to upgrade the computer and monitor. What do you recommend He get?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It all depends on the simulator program he's running. Each sim program has different specs as for the one I use Jack Nickolas Perfect Golf (JNPG) here are the minimum specs;
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2 core duo E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz. 3.00 Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: DX9 compatible video card with 512MB video RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Storage: 3 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
that is to run the program at minimum specs.

here's the recommended specs, my computer is somewhere between the two recommendations (can upgrade graphics card);

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Quad Core
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Additional Notes: DirectX 11 Compatible

I'd just find out what sim program he has, google it and it should say minimum specs. As for myself I may have to upgrade the graphics card, as the new JNPG 2 is coming out and THE Golf Club 2019as well will need better computer specs than listed.

As for monitor, it may not need one if the impact screen displays all the info, but if a touchscreen is compatible with that sim program I'd look for a used one on ebay or amazon. I got mine for $140 off ebay.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

This is awesome! I really want to do this, but have no ceiling height anywhere. Even my garage is a 9' ceiling. So I guess if I ever want to do it, I'm going to have to put an addition to my back garage.

They say 9' ceiling is the minimum you should have, but it just doesn't seem enough, especially if you are tall.

They say 9' ceiling is the minimum you should have, but it just doesn't seem enough, especially if you are tall.
I'm 6'3..probably need 10-11'? My theater room has an 7'6" ceiling or I would do it in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3..probably need 10-11'? My theater room has an 7'6" ceiling or I would do it in there.

If you are building new, I'd go for 12' ceiling. I work at a building supplies store, and really the cost difference between 10' and 12' walls on a 24x24 garage is about $400 bucks (could be more if you use expensive siding though). 12' would give you pc of mind for sure. Also another thing to consider is if you want both righties, and people who aren't right (lol) to be able to hit with enough space, you will need approx 15' of space for width.

If you are building new, I'd go for 12' ceiling. I work at a building supplies store, and really the cost difference between 10' and 12' walls on a 24x24 garage is about $400 bucks (could be more if you use expensive siding though). 12' would give you pc of mind for sure. Also another thing to consider is if you want both righties, and people who aren't right (lol) to be able to hit with enough space, you will need approx 15' of space for width.
So you think 15*15 with a 12' ceiling height would be enough?

So you think 15*15 with a 12' ceiling height would be enough?

15' wide without anything on the walls, so maybe a 16' min -20' wide probably.

It all depends on the simulator program he's running. Each sim program has different specs as for the one I use Jack Nickolas Perfect Golf (JNPG) here are the minimum specs;
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2 core duo E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz. 3.00 Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: DX9 compatible video card with 512MB video RAM
that is to run the program at minimum specs.

here's the recommended specs, my computer is somewhere between the two recommendations (can upgrade graphics card);

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Quad Core
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Additional Notes: DirectX 11 Compatible

I'd just find out what sim program he has, google it and it should say minimum specs. As for myself I may have to upgrade the graphics card, as the new JNPG 2 is coming out and THE Golf Club 2019as well will need better computer specs than listed.

As for monitor, it may not need one if the impact screen displays all the info, but if a touchscreen is compatible with that sim program I'd look for a used one on ebay or amazon. I got mine for $140 off ebay.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Wow, thanks for the info, too bad I'm a computer dum dum!

What about the sky track system? What would be the best thing to get if he wanted new?

skytrak can play around 5 different sim programs;
Jack Nicholas Perfect Golf (jnpg)
The Golf Club (TGC)
e6 trugolf
Creative golf 3D
Fitness Golf

They all will have different minimum requirements, you can see the differences here;

https://www.skytrakgolf.com/simulation

you can see the JNPG specs in above post. JNPG isn't on the skytrak website as only previous owners of the program can still get it for skytrak (grandfathered in) as Trackman bought the program. But you can still have access to it by buying a used skytrak that has jnpg purchased already. I personally think its the best program out there, but too bad its not readily available anymore.
Time will tell as TGC 2, and JNPG 2 are in development. I'll probably get both.

You should be safe buying a computer with at least a 970 GTX if you want to watch in 1080 for the current generations of sim programs.

Wow, thanks for the info, too bad I'm a computer dum dum!

What about the sky track system? What would be the best thing to get if he wanted new?

see above post. forgot to hit reply before responding.

Have you ever heard of the holiday golf simulator?

This is the current setup.
6e395e78f340caabbf57a31b011f1fee.jpg
ef059785317516b6f6c14f5bc07b5219.jpg

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Have you ever heard of the holiday golf simulator?

This is the current setup.
6e395e78f340caabbf57a31b011f1fee.jpg
ef059785317516b6f6c14f5bc07b5219.jpg

I have heard of that one. I think it all depends on which model it is from them. If it is current enough I believe it will play 2 sim programs I know of, The Golf Club, and e6 golf.
Personally I'd contact them, and see how modern it is, and options available. From there you should know which PC is needed. Here's a link to their help/contact them page;
https://holidaygolfsimulators.com/contact-us/

I have heard of that one. I think it all depends on which model it is from them. If it is current enough I believe it will play 2 sim programs I know of, The Golf Club, and e6 golf.
Personally I'd contact them, and see how modern it is, and options available. From there you should know which PC is needed. Here's a link to their help/contact them page;
https://holidaygolfsimulators.com/contact-us/
Thank you!

I finally went over to try and get this holiday golf simulator working. I couldn't make it work, couldn't get their projector to read any input from the computer. The graphics on the program are very old and outdated. I would guess this thing is more than 20 years old. I think I'm going to try the skytrak setup.

So doing a few more upgrades this coming winter so I figured I would update this thread, with things I've done since my last post.
I did change the graphics card in my computer to a 1660gtx and it handled JNPG no problem. Since JNPG no longer works I will be participating in the GSpro beta which seems to be the best game to play on your sim. I really not a fan of TGC as the ball doesn't react realistically, so I will go through the growing pains of this new game. I will post pics/videos when I get the game going.
Here's a few non sim pictures I tool awhile ago. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is so awesome as when you headshot someone their head is real size, so my crappy eyes don't have a problem, lol

1599149973247.png

1599150014404.png

Attachments

• 1599149983654.png
    1599149983654.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 12
added a bose speaker. put it above and behind the screen. No room anywhere for a sub, so the bar seemed the best option until I go surround someday.

1599150244240.png

on the right hand side of the screen I added a sailor inspired thing to tighten and loosen my screen easily. I always tighten it when watching tv, and loosen it when hitting balls into it.

1599150390832.png

1599150427398.png

1599150452818.png

Looking like some good upgrades.

I also recently upgraded from my skytrak to a gc2. I have nothing but love for the skytrak, but if you are playing sim golf, sometimes the shortgame is a hassle. Nothing but smooth sailing with the gc2, and i have my club carry distances dialed in. Maybe the best purchase I've done on the sim.
Also got the metal case for protection.

1599150688825.png

1599150716646.png

1599150748678.png

Since getting my gc2 I've had a few breakthroughs in my game. I've broken par for the first time ever (only shot par irl), and gotten a virtual hole in one -179 yd. (still not a one irl). And it recognizes higher ball speed than the skytrak as well with more accuracy.

1599151131998.png

I will be adding another stance mat on the right side for lefties to stand on, and then getting this case built. It will have a handle on the top and an alignment aid sticking out front to line up with edge of hitting strip to make sure launch monitor is straight. This will make it easy to pick it up and move the gc2 back and forth for lh/rh play as it is kind of a pain right now.

1599151469820.png

1599151492671.png

Looking like some good upgrades.
good thing about these sims is they really don't lose their value too much. I was able to sell my skytrak for almost as much as I bought it for, 3 years later.

The upgrades are a never ending process it seems. Always something can be better.

good thing about these sims is they really don't lose their value too much. I was able to sell my skytrak for almost as much as I bought it for, 3 years later.

The upgrades are a never ending process it seems. Always something can be better.

That is for sure. Are you using FSX 2020?

That is for sure. Are you using FSX 2020?
no just offline jnpg, and GSpro beta. I may look at FSX 2020, graphics seem dated for a new program, but the functions/modes are the best for sure.
I was looking at either that or the HMT attachment for my gc2 for club data this winter. Both are an investment.

no just offline jnpg, and GSpro beta. I may look at FSX 2020, graphics seem dated for a new program, but the functions/modes are the best for sure.
I was looking at either that or the HMT attachment for my gc2 for club data this winter. Both are an investment.

Graphics are a bit dated.
I just like the accuracy of the play.

Graphics are a bit dated.
I just like the accuracy of the play.
I think that program will benefit me more after I buy the HMT for club data. It is the gold standard for programs for sure. It can do club fitting as well if I remember correctly. No other program I know of can do that.

Back