Information/Opinions on Wedges for a High Capper

Congratulations @JonMA1 for being tapped!

You're going to love the CBX2. Looking forward to your feedback.

I am a high handicapper so take my feedback for what its worth (probably not much lol!)

I struggled with a 60 degree wedge. to get any distance, I had to swing faster than I was comfortable. Otherwise, the club would slide under the ball and go nowhere, or else it would chunk or hit a thin bullet because I was trying to adjust mid-swing.

I switched to a PM grind 58* with more bounce and had MUCH better success with greenside chipping out to about 40-50 yards. My challenge with the 58* is on wet courses and especially on fluffy lies, the club can still slide under the ball and not get the distance I needed. I have learned to pay attention to my lie and course conditions to know when NOT to use the 58* and instead go for a lower loft.

I wouldnt use anything more lofted than 58* and if you go that high, get one with alot of bounce.

I am a high handicapper so take my feedback for what its worth (probably not much lol!)

I struggled with a 60 degree wedge. to get any distance, I had to swing faster than I was comfortable. Otherwise, the club would slide under the ball and go nowhere, or else it would chunk or hit a thin bullet because I was trying to adjust mid-swing.

I switched to a PM grind 58* with more bounce and had MUCH better success with greenside chipping out to about 40-50 yards. My challenge with the 58* is on wet courses and especially on fluffy lies, the club can still slide under the ball and not get the distance I needed. I have learned to pay attention to my lie and course conditions to know when NOT to use the 58* and instead go for a lower loft.

I wouldnt use anything more lofted than 58* and if you go that high, get one with alot of bounce.
SO much magic in the 58° PM Grind.

I’m all about the forgiving wedge. I play my set Cobra T-rail wedges in the aW and SW
Then go to a CBX 60* for all things chipping and a Callaway Sure Out 64* for high shots and bunker play.

and today picked up this puppy. Hummingbird 70*. It makes my CBX look tinyAC18B9AB-6B42-4475-B94E-DC1AC73DBF22.jpegB11946A9-A3BB-4CE3-81D2-5A9A287A3D82.jpeg

If my Maltby 56* wedge wasn't relatively new I would ditch it and get a 56* CBX2 instead. Right now the Maltby is only good for bunker shots. Anything else and I am all over the place with it.

Always underrated and overlooked but don’t sleep on the Ping Glide wedges. They are forgiving like a CBX but to me a much better profile. I think they feel nice as well. I honestly had no thought towards Ping wedges until I did a CC fitting. They were one of the first changes I made to my bag afterwards because I enjoyed them so much.

Congrats on being tapped! I was coming in here to suggest either the Callaway Mack Daddy CB or the CBX2 but a lot of people beat me to it.

Have the MD CB 56 and it feels really light in a graphite shaft. Haven't played much with it in 2020, hopefully there will be a few sand saves this year.

Haven't played them on the course yet, only on a simulator (maine winter) but I picked up the mack daddy cb 54 and 58 and it's a whole new world. I had ping m/b's before and they honestly felt better but the cb's just seem to work. I'm a big fan of the extended grip

@JonMA1 I'm late to the party but here are my suggestions.

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2. Great feeling, great performing wedges. These wedges have really helped boost my confidence and allowed me to exorcise my short game demons.

Fairways: Tour Edge HL E521. I've been on the Exotics side of their product line for years. After reading about the Hot Launch E521 here on THP, I decided to demo the 3W.

It's super easy to hit. Is it magical? No. I managed to top one about 75 yards. With that said, a reasonable swing is rewarded. I've gamed the E521 for 2 rounds and it's bumped my TEE EX9 Tour from the bag.

I can vouch for the E521 hybrids. I have the 5h 25°. Very easy to hit, but there is no shot shaping with this club. It just goes straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but there is no shot shaping with this club. It just goes straight!
That sounds like a challenge. Not the intentional shot shaping, mind you.:ROFLMAO:

I went ahead and ordered the KE4 in 21° 4h and it should be arrive by next week. It should fill what was the biggest gap in the bag that had me trying to reach greens with the 6i that I just couldn't reach.

Hybrids are strange clubs. There are periods when it feels like I can't miss with them and then periods where I struggle - more so than with irons. But to have the ability and confidence to make good contact and hit a high, long shot near the green is nice. The inaccuracy at the top of my bag really hurt me last year.

As for the very top between the H3 and Driver, I haven't make a decision yet. Based on some of the suggestions, it might be a 4w or 5w, or just leave it as is.

@JonMA1 I'll give another voucher for the CBX2. I picked one up the other week in 52* as a gap wedge. I needed something between my irons PW and my RTX4 58* wedge... so I grabbed one.

I really like it. Really. Like. It. When I use it I get a good "thump" right before I hit the ball... the kind of thump you hear from a sand wedge in a bunker. I guess it's the bounce working. I think it's pretty forgiving for me and my golf game is that of a high handicapper.

As for the very top between the H3 and Driver, I haven't make a decision yet. Based on some of the suggestions, it might be a 4w or 5w, or just leave it as is.
The KE4 4w is pretty nice. Just sayin..... :cool:

Cleveland Smartsole 3’s were game changers for me. Gonna get the gap wedge now. Only way I will switch back to conventional is if courses are super dry and hard. They will cut thru anything and are hard to chunk. Love them.

I’m all about the forgiving wedge. I play my set Cobra T-rail wedges in the aW and SW
Then go to a CBX 60* for all things chipping and a Callaway Sure Out 64* for high shots and bunker play.

and today picked up this puppy. Hummingbird 70*. It makes my CBX look tinyView attachment 8996092View attachment 8996093
Erock did you end up keeping this in your bag? Did you find a use that justified it being there? thanks...

Erock did you end up keeping this in your bag? Did you find a use that justified it being there? thanks...
No, it never ended up making the bag.
I already had 14 clubs and couldn't justify removing one of them to make room for this one. Especially for a club I might only hit once every few rounds.

IIRC, the issue I had was to make the ball go anywhere with it, especially out of a trap you had to swing about as hard as you could. I just wasn't comfortable with that out of a short sided green side bunker. So usually the ball would barely get out of the trap and then roll back in.

Also I found that my 64* Sure Out wedge could pretty much handle anything this could.
Normally, I use my 64* for fuller-ish shots from 60-65 yds out. This one on a full swing went more like 40-45 yds. Once again, I found it tough to trust to really go after it with the 70* club.

So I passed.
I still remember how large the face was on that thing though. It made my Sure Out look like a players wedge :)

Back