Information Overload!

NeverWiff

Reaction score
Handicap
13.4 GHIN
Whoa..... my head was spinning a bit.

Took a lesson this weekend with my club pro (really, about the second serious lesson ever) and was introduced to the launch monitor (irons exclusively in this session). All i can say is, there is a TON of information being gathered and spit back out for analysis - not to mention all monitor related nomenclature to learn and apply. REALLY interesting and i can see how people can find it to be a useful tool. Oddly enough, some of causes of some poorer shots were a bit counter intuitive to me, but upon explanation made total sense.

I will definitely be working with this again as I've got plenty of follow up questions and plenty more progress to make. I'm not looking to gain distance necessarily, i'm happy with where i'm at for the moment, but that would probably be a byproduct of a better swing. Where i'm struggling most seems to be with face at impact which has been up to 7 degrees shut relative to path and almost never open. i really need to get the "feel" for how to get the face where i need it to be on a consistent basis.

When all was correct, i was hitting a nice baby draw with my 7i, carry about 170 (although i'm a bit dubious about on-course distances like that - i'm usually more of a 155-160 guy with my 7i) Smash factor was in the high 1.3's and occasional low 1.4's which i want to keep/improve upon. Keeping that consistent swing is my problem... so lots of work to do.

I don't want to get hooked on the numbers, but see the value in them. I'm aiming for more consistency and repetitiveness in my swing and then based upon that be able to self diagnose (hopefully) during a round, with some effectiveness. Next time.... work with the driver (which i sorely need) and then a follow up with irons to see if what i'm working on is bringing me in the right direction. Cool stuff... I'd say to anyone on the fence, as to whether or not to give this a try... Go for it. I found it to be money well spent.

Back