Injuries on the golf course?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Seeing Mr. DeChambeau hit wild drives into the galleries last week without shouting fore got me thinking about how dangerous golf actually has the potential to be. There was of course that awful incident with Brooks Koepka unfortunately blinding a spectator at the Ryder Cup in Paris. Bit of a morbid topic but I’m interested to know the reality of how many golfers have had the experience of being really hurt themselves or seen another player hurt? Stories?

I fractured the hook of hamate bone in my left hand. I’m not sure if there was one specific shot that did it or if it was a repetitive use injury. I know another who had the same injury, he thinks from hitting a root. Its common in baseball too. It requires surgery in most cases and a several month long recovery.

I’ve never witnessed anything severe though.

I have broken my nose, my hand, and torn my meniscus on the golf course. Am I doing it right?

I've had three fairly serious injuries on the golf course:

- fractured my right arm just above the wrist when I slipped on dry,, dormant Bermuda grass going down a slope.
- fractured my right leg just above the ankle when I turned and stepped in a poorly maintained drain in the middle of the fairway.
- fractured my hook-of-hamate bone on my ight hand on the driving range, then broke it completely teeing off on first hole about a week later.

Rolled my ankle pretty badly getting out of a bunker - put me in a boot for a few weeks or so

Also smacked a tree root that did some gnarly damage to my wrist - sidelined me for the second half of the season.

Not me, but last year while my wife and I played with a neighbor couple, the other wife took what looked like an innocent step off the 3rd green and promptly tore her hamstring.
She was done for the year.

I have broken my nose, my hand, and torn my meniscus on the golf course. Am I doing it right?
And that was just the putting green...

No bad physical injuries for me, just a bruised ego and multiple close calls at courses with tee boxes near landing zones.

Pin on Awesomeness

I pulled a groin muscle during a scramble a number of years ago. I guess I was trying to get a little bit extra into a drive. I was "out of commission" for 3 weeks before I could swing again.

Copperhead course - maintenance left a sprinkler box uncovered, grass grew enough to make it unnoticeable and I fell in it and twisted my ankle badly.

Another course, Got hit in the eye (glasses) with a drive from another hole - my sunglasses held up from the hit to protect my eye from a potentially bad injury but left me with a cut on my face/head from where the frame broke.

Golf wise, I've been pretty lucky myself. Just a few tweaked ankles over the years. I have been hit by golfballs twice in the legs. Just some bruising, and soreness were the results. I've never hit anyone with a golf ball in 45+ years of playing.

I've seen 4 heart attacks while golfing. None caused by poor ball flights. Two of the guy passed away on the spot.

My nephew recieved a broken elbow from someone's errant ball flight. Messed him up for almost a year with surgeries, and rehab. Never did know where the ball came from, and no one came forth to own up to their poor shot. He never wanted to golf again. Ironically, his 13 year old son has taken up the game, and doing quite well in his age group.

A banker I was golfing with in a charity tournament hit an errant shot that crashed through a homeowner's window, and hit an older lady sitting at her breakfast table. Hit her in the head, which prompted an ambulance trip to the ER, and subsequent legal issues.

Heard, and read about about some really serious injuries caused by errant ball flights. Stuff happens

Dislocated my left shoulder on a fat driver swing. It was in the 90's hot 4th of July weekend and I really didn't warm up at all. Hit the ground and thru the ball, still drove it about 180. Dropped to one knee seeing stars and in pain. It popped back in place and I continued playing swinging about 50%...

Only once did I get hurt so bad I couldn't continue. Long day of massive amount of golf...Near end 3 of us each had our own carts and were blitzing along. I was standing ready to hit when a ball at full speed hit me in the ankle right on the bone. I went down and could hardly stand up. Along came my bud as I was over a knoll and he says he shanked one and I said it hit me....I couldn't make a swing that off we went...Iced it up and was good to go the next day. Was staying in the Casita's at Boulders resort...

Saw a guy who was sitting in the bleachers at a long par 3 at a Buy.com event locally years ago. He had taken a direct hit to his right cheekbone, and he looked like he went a couple of hard rounds with Mike Tyson!

A couple weeks ago we had 2 foursomes at a local course and sat down for food and drinks afterward. Had a delightful time! I wake up the next morning and my right hand won't work! Totally dead! The back of my hand and forearm feel a little like after you smack your funny bone, just not that intense. A little numb and tingly. I have no idea if I did this while playing or if I slept on it wrong! It's slowly getting better, but taking it's good old time!

At the end of grad school three of us went out for a round as a final bit of fun before one of the international students had to fly back to Sweden. We made it through about 12 holes or so, and then one of the group left her tee shot kind of short and right off the tee along some trees. About 10 yards in front of the ball was a small culvert along the edge of a cart path with some rock facing. Well, leaving the ball short off the tee she pulled something like 5w to advance the ball up the hole, and connected good with a line drive straight into the rock face. It bounced back and drilled her square as can be in the center of the forehead. It gave her a nasty star shaped split, we spent the rest of the day looking for a plastic surgeon. I felt awful for her.

At my club a couple of years ago there was an incident during a tournament. A guy hit his tee shot and it came to rest at the base of a tree. Instead of taking a stroke and moving it he tried to hit it. The ball hit a root, shot up and hit him in the eye. He had to go to the ER and he eventually lost the eye. Pretty nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pulled a groin muscle this year and I have had my back go out mid round which was not fun.
I did break my nose but I have no recollection of that event happening (Union tournament) and There is no video so I will pretend it never happened! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to work with a guy who lost an eye on the golf course. He was playing somewhere and either he or one of his playing partners weren't paying attention on the tee box during a practice swing and he took an iron right in the eyeball.

When playing in college I pulled every muscle possible and strained everything else. Too much carrying in bad weather on a lot of soft ground. Not waiting for one injury to heal and that causing the next one. I was in the training room more than most football players. Nothing gruesome, although pulling a muscle during a swing and feeling that twangagangagang still haunts me a bit.

The worst I've seen was two drunk morons having some sort of divot fight and one of them taking a rock in the eye. That was gross.

I don't think I have EVER injured myself on a golf course (knock on wood). Other than maybe a blister

I broke my PW and partially tore a ligament in my wrist when the club caught a root that was hidden beneath my ball and some leaves. Apparently bringing your club to a complete stop at impact is a bit jarring.

I injured a guy with a ball once, but nothing serious. I cut the corner on a dog leg and drove a green that I didn't think I could reach. Ball one hopped and caught him in the calf. Decent welt, but an apology and a couple beers, and we laughed it off.

I was driving the cart and went over a hill. The hill actually was like a cliff area very steep, a 10-foot drop at the bottom if you went too far, and had no signs. Neither my playing partner nor anyone saw the cliff area. This was our first time playing the course. The cart tipped over and while I was able to jump out my playing partner did not. The cart landed on his ankle and he broke it. We had to have an ambulance come onto the course to take him to the hospital.

I jammed my wrist pretty bad about 5-6 weeks ago and I still have a little lingering pain from it.

I heard a story about a guy who got his legs sandwiched between a cart by accident and died after hitting his head on the ground after falling backwards when his playing partner moved the cart back

I’ve been butt hurt by my game mostly. Besides that , pulled back muscles a couple times

I've broken my 2nd toe on my right foot... oh... half a dozen times now; twice on the golf course. Last time I was dumb and played barefoot, dropped my Sunday bag just off the tee box, then after hitting I didn't watch my step and kicked an iron.

I've had a few strained muscles out there. It's imperative that I stretch before the round.

Back